• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hussey's average - How long do we have to wait?.......

adharcric

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Has any batsman in the world done that yet?
Well I'm sure someone has.
In any case, someone here asked what Hussey will have to do to become the greatest ever since Bradman, so even if no one has done that yet Hussey better do it.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Hussey is fantastic and has been for years and its great to see him getting the recognition he deserves.

Damn shame he left us though

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
DanielFullard said:
Hussey is fantastic and has been for years and its great to see him getting the recognition he deserves.

Damn shame he left us though
Has he fully?, he was playing for Durham during the ashes so maybe he'll come back.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
sqwerty said:
........until his batting average is considered extraordinary?
End of his career. Gilchrist used to average around 60 untill 2003-04. But now it it seems he will end up with an average between 40-45.

reverseswing

Cricket Spectator
Sanz said:
End of his career. Gilchrist used to average around 60 untill 2003-04. But now it it seems he will end up with an average between 40-45.
thats true

Hussey in some ways is lucky because he has arrived on the international scene when he is at the peak of his powers. His pura cup numbers are average

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanz said:
But you just can't ignore those first 4 years or so. Just because the end of his career isn't so good doesn't mean you can't judge him at that 99-04 form.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
I think though that if Gilchrist ends his career averaging 40 people will say "well, he averaged 60 for so long, and he started his career late...". Gilchrist is similar to Hussey in that his career has been shortened significantly by the time that he began. He hasn't missed a test since the start of his career, but he has only been around since 1999, and is already nearing retirement. If Hussey is still averaging 70 odd in a year or two, it won't matter if he drops off after that and finishes up averaging in the 50s, he will still be remembered for his incredible start to his career.

Jeff Thomson, Viv Richards, Ian Botham and so on are testament to this. All of them have career records which fall short of their reputation because they declined at the end of their careers. No doubt Gilchrist will be the same.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
But you just can't ignore those first 4 years or so. Just because the end of his career isn't so good doesn't mean you can't judge him at that 99-04 form.
I am not. This question asked in this thread was "Hussey's average - How long do we have to wait?....... " and hence my comment on the average.

Noway I am trying to suggest that it makes Gilchrist makes any less dangerous as a batsman now than he was between 1999-2004 neither am I doubting Hussey's talent as a batsman.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanz said:
I am not. This question asked in this thread was "Hussey's average - How long do we have to wait?....... " and hence my comment on the average.

Noway I am trying to suggest that it makes Gilchrist makes any less dangerous as a batsman now than he was between 1999-2004 neither am I doubting Hussey's talent as a batsman.
So what is your point then? You say 'end of career' and use Gilchrists's diminishing average as an example. This suggests that Gilly is tarnished by this, where I don't think he is.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think though that if Gilchrist ends his career averaging 40 people will say "well, he averaged 60 for so long, and he started his career late...". Gilchrist is similar to Hussey in that his career has been shortened significantly by the time that he began. He hasn't missed a test since the start of his career, but he has only been around since 1999, and is already nearing retirement. If Hussey is still averaging 70 odd in a year or two, it won't matter if he drops off after that and finishes up averaging in the 50s, he will still be remembered for his incredible start to his career.

Jeff Thomson, Viv Richards, Ian Botham and so on are testament to this. All of them have career records which fall short of their reputation because they declined at the end of their careers. No doubt Gilchrist will be the same.
I agree with every word of what you said, Just want to add that Hussey has played only 10 tests so far and IMO he's a bit impatient in asking how long we have to wait. Vinod Kambli averaged 94 after 10 tests, his test career was over after 17 tests. I am not suggesting Hussey will end up Kambli way but just that it's just too early to say anything. I will wait till Hussey plays couple of years in different kind of conditions and against diff. oppositions to pass an honest judgement.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
So what is your point then? You say 'end of career' and use Gilchrists's diminishing average as an example. This suggests that Gilly is tarnished by this, where I don't think he is.
Now you read my last post, I mentioned VG Kambli's example. Now what's that tarnishing Kambli ? Why cant I make a simple statement about an aussie player without being accused of tarnishing an aussie player or having an agenda. Why are you guys so touchy about every statement made about any aussie player ?

The guy asked question about average, and I gave a simple answer. I used Gilchrist as an example because he is a current player and his name comes off first from memory.

No why am I trying to clarify to yourself, let me be blunt and tarnish Gilly's image even furthur , Yeah my statement basically meant to suggest that Gilly is the worst batsman ever to play cricket. Gilly averages **** in his last 40 test matches and his career avg. most probably will look like Sourav Ganguly's test average. In last 40 matches Sourav averages more than Gilly. How is that for tarnishing Gilly's image, you fool.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Now you read my last post, I mentioned VG Kambli's example. Now what's that tarnishing Kambli ? Why cant I make a simple statement about an aussie player without being accused of tarnishing an aussie player or having an agenda. Why are you guys so touchy about every statement made about any aussie player ?

The guy asked question about average, and I gave a simple answer. I used Gilchrist as an example because he is a current player and his name comes off first from memory.

No why am I trying to clarify to yourself, let me be blunt and tarnish Gilly's image even furthur , Yeah my statement basically meant to suggest that Gilly is the worst batsman ever to play cricket. Gilly averages **** in his last 40 test matches and his career avg. most probably will look like Sourav Ganguly's test average. In last 40 matches Sourav averages more than Gilly. How is that for tarnishing Gilly's image, you fool.
I dunno I, for one, thought you had very good points on both Gilly and Hussey and I love both of em.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I just want to see him in the Ashes and in either SL or India facing Murali or Harbhajan/Kumble.

But for now, I can just keep calling him the freak. He just keeps getting runs. Amazing.

Last edited:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanz said:

You are off your rocker. I wasn't getting touchy, I was simply putting my opinion forward according to what I interpreted your post as being. I wasn't being pedantic, I was just trying t contribute. You need to calm down, mate.

And Kambli is a better example, yes.