• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hussey's average - How long do we have to wait?.......

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Is there anyone else with a higher percentage of not outs who've played 38 ODIs or more?
Glenn McGrath has the same percentage of not-outs as Hussey over his career. I expect there may be some other bowlers who have similar percentages.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Is there anyone else with a higher percentage of not outs who've played 38 ODIs or more?
Well you can hardly expect him to make 81 and get dismissed in every game when he bats at 6 and 7.

Hussey's got all his not outs because he's hard to dismiss, it's not like he's made 162 runs in 30 innings and only been dismissed twice. Most of his not outs are significant scores.

edit: it's also worth noting that his strike rate is in the Dhoni/Afridi/Pietersen/Gilchrist/Symonds sort of range, which indicates that he's not scoring slowly and playing for not outs (which, for instance, one could accuse Michael Bevan of, albeit somewhat unfairly). If you make 40 off 30 balls and are not out because you only came to the crease in the 40th over, you certainly haven't done anything wrong.

Last edited:

sideshowtim

Banned
Yes, it is difficult to criticise Hussey because he always goes down swinging. It is unfair to declare him as playing for his average as he takes more risks than the average batsman and is a marvellous batsman in the last 10 overs. He's really been a breath of fresh air into both of our teams. I love the Huss.

oz_fan

International Regular
sideshowtim said:
Yes, it is difficult to criticise Hussey because he always goes down swinging. It is unfair to declare him as playing for his average as he takes more risks than the average batsman and is a marvellous batsman in the last 10 overs. He's really been a breath of fresh air into both of our teams. I love the Huss.
Yep I think he has a strike rate in the high nineties. Its a shame he only gets to come in with around ten overs to spare or else he could have had a couple of ODI centuries by now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Hussey's definitely one of the most unselfish batsman in cricket. He could have easily played for his maiden century in the SA vs. Aus 434 match, and he could have played for his maiden double century in the 2nd test against Bangladesh, but he didn't in both.

There's nothing you can really hate about Hussey unless he's the one plundering your team's bowlers or taking freak catches when they really shouldn't be taken at all.

pasag

RTDAS
Exactley, all my friends were saying that when we watched 'that' game. He only cares about the team and the win, as opposed to Katich who by trying to prop up his score and average sometimes puts Aust in big trouble and puts unnecessary pressure on Ponting and Martyn to make up for his rate.

I have now seen nearly every innings that Hussey has played for Australia and he always continues to fascinate me. I hope he continues playing for another 10 years, I dont see any reason why he shouldnt.

What amazes me is that in all the melbourne newspapers, there is not a word mentioned about his 182 from almost as many runs. Not a word. It was all overshadowed by Dizzy. Hussey doesnt get enough credit for his amazing feats of the past year. Oh and I just read somewhere that he just become the fastest ever first 1000 run scorer in test cricket, ahnnialiting the previous guy.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
I have seen Hussey a heck of a lot being a Durham fan and all and I will say without a shadow of a doubt he is one of the finest and most enjoyable to watch batsmen I have ever have had the privelge of seeing. I have been to test matches, ODI's and league games involving some of the greats of recent years from the top Aussies to the wizardy Indians and without a shadow of a dobut when Hussey is in that crease you know you're in for an enjoyable display of batting. In many of his durham matches there is just a sense of awe in the ground and it was a privelege to watch so many of his matches during his time here

I don't care if you think me foolish or not but Hussey is rightup there with the best for me. Over time he may grow to be my favourite batsmen of all time but at the minute Mr.Ponting is far ahead of him in my favourites list in the test game and damn it I just love watching KP in the one day game.

So when my time is up I will certainly looked back at Mike Hussey as one of the greats

For those of you lucky enough to have followed him in County Cricket like I have then Im sure you share my sentiments.

Easily in my World XI

sideshowtim

Banned
pasag said:
Exactley, all my friends were saying that when we watched 'that' game. He only cares about the team and the win, as opposed to Katich who by trying to prop up his score and average sometimes puts Aust in big trouble and puts unnecessary pressure on Ponting and Martyn to make up for his rate.

I have now seen nearly every innings that Hussey has played for Australia and he always continues to fascinate me. I hope he continues playing for another 10 years, I dont see any reason why he shouldnt.

What amazes me is that in all the melbourne newspapers, there is not a word mentioned about his 182 from almost as many runs. Not a word. It was all overshadowed by Dizzy. Hussey doesnt get enough credit for his amazing feats of the past year. Oh and I just read somewhere that he just become the fastest ever first 1000 run scorer in test cricket, ahnnialiting the previous guy.
Yeah, he smashed Strauss' record by a long, long distance. It'll be hard to ever catch Husseys new one.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:

I doubt he will be able to play for another 10 years. Maybe 7 or 8 tops

Obviously Dizzys double overshowed Husseys innings because well it was dizzy!

Before judging him, i will like to see him play against the easy teams such as england, and India and pakistan at home

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Whenever he is batting, I have this uncomfortable feeling that he has to do something to get himself out, than someone getting him out. It is true that he hasn't been tested against quality spin in subcontinental conditions yet, but apart from that, he seems to have the answers for all types of bowlers in other conditions. Scary thought. This guy might single handedly help Ponting keep Australia at #1 even when Warney and McGrath retire.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hussey won't struggle on the subcontinent in my view, but I would be surprised if he was so prolific. He's a decent player of spin but nothing exceptional, and the Indians at least might get the better of him. Of course, I'm happy for Hussey to prove me wrong on that count. He's certainly made a lot of the people who claimed he was weak against decent pace bowling outside off stump look silly, though not as much as those who said he wasn't a good choice for a lower order batsman in ODIs.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
Whenever he is batting, I have this uncomfortable feeling that he has to do something to get himself out, than someone getting him out. It is true that he hasn't been tested against quality spin in subcontinental conditions yet, but apart from that, he seems to have the answers for all types of bowlers in other conditions. Scary thought. This guy might single handedly help Ponting keep Australia at #1 even when Warney and McGrath retire.
Bharanidamus. :cool:

adharcric

International Coach
To me, Hussey is the messiah for Australian cricket right now. With the likes of Bevan, Lehmann and Hayden gone from the one-day side and the likes of Clarke and Martyn falling in the post-Ashes cleanup, Hussey has provided the new burst of firepower. A very impressive batsman.

A year from now, we'll either see Dhoni, Raina and Yuvraj pulling off a tremendous chase or Hussey doing the same on his own ... in the World Cup final. I'm calling it. :)

Last edited: