Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The increased player schedule

The increased player schedule

There's more and more articles coming out from players saying the international playing schedule is too crowded with far too many games being played.

Is this really the case? New Zealand and Australia for example after their South Africa and Bangladesh tours don't play any cricket for six months. Is this really over-working them?

To compare it to rugby, the All Blacks are taking 39 players on their end of season tour to the UK and Argentina because of the number of games they're playing through the Super 14, Tri-nations, and NPC (NZ domestic rugby).

Cricket squads meanwhile continue to consist of around 16 players. Are we going to see teams take say 25 players on tour soon so core players get more of rest? England must have finished up with about 25 players on their tour of India due to the injuries they suffered.

Do you think there is even a packed schedule and the players are complaining about nothing?

I think the scedule is packed with too many 7 match ODI series, and tri series (and more series) tournaments that are just there to make money.

That is what cramps the schedule up.
    We will NEVER forgive "Umpire" Ian Robinson

I guess my point is, how can New Zealand and Australian players complain about it when they get a huge six months off?

If it really is a problem, isn't the solution to simply send more players on tour?

As I said in the Sunny Gavaskar thread, I think that when the teams are actually away on tour, there is too much cricket in too short a space of time, and also that there should be more time inbetween tours.

I guess this is made hard though by the times of the year when cricket can be played in certain countries.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    If it really is a problem, isn't the solution to simply send more players on tour?
    Thats not really the solution (unless you want stars like Dan Cullen playing games because people like Warne and Macgill are exhausted)
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Thats not really the solution (unless you want stars like Dan Cullen playing games because people like Warne and Macgill are exhausted)
    The same thing is happening in many other sports though isn't it? To use the All Blacks again, on the UK tours, we play our B team against Scotland and Wales, and our A team against England and Ireland due to the strength of the teams we're playing and to rest our star players such as Dan Carter. The same could apply to Warne and co.

As I mentioned above, I don't see how the current schedule is "full on". I'm only going on Australia's and New Zealand's schedule mind, so maybe the likes of India, England, Pakistan, etc play twice the amount of games.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    The same thing is happening in many other sports though isn't it? To use the All Blacks again, on the UK tours, we play our B team against Scotland and Wales, and our A team against England and Ireland due to the strength of the teams we're playing and to rest our star players such as Dan Carter. The same could apply to Warne and co.

As I mentioned above, I don't see how the current schedule is "full on". I'm only going on Australia's and New Zealand's schedule mind, so maybe the likes of India, England, Pakistan, etc play twice the amount of games.
    Other sports don't have two different forms of the game to contend with though (soon to be 3).

The solution IMO, unless the ICC relents schedule-wise (though individual boards would probably still murder their players with games), is to specialize the ODI and Test squads further.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Pinball Champion!
    The same thing is happening in many other sports though isn't it? .
    That doesn't make it a good thing though, does it?

Would you rather watch Shane Warne once, or Cameron white and Dan Cullen three times?

They wern't really A and B teams... both teams had first choice players in them, mixed with bench players.

Rugby and Cricket are completely different sports though. There is always going to be experimentation on rugby tours because of the nature of the game. Injuries occur more frequently and substitutes are used in game which means you need a far greater player pool.

I personally don't mind seeing rotation and players rested in ODI's though. But your best XI should always play in a Test match

i think the ICC should just review their 5-year plan or whatever they call and reduce the schedule, for me players should have 6 months for playing and 6 months off.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    i think the ICC should just review their 5-year plan or whatever they call and reduce the schedule, for me players should have 6 months for playing and 6 months off.
    6 months playing, either international or domestic, and 6 months at home, preparation, being with the family, fitness etc.

6 months playing, either international or domestic, and 6 months at home, preparation, being with the family, fitness etc.
    Yeah 3 months at home and 3 months away sounds good to me...

Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    I think that's a little too far, you've still got to be get around to most countries reasonably often. I'm more for reasonably constant cricket, with month breaks in between, maybe a little longer. Whether or not the climates around the world allow for that is a different matter, however.

That doesn't make it a good thing though, does it?

Would you rather watch Shane Warne once, or Cameron white and Dan Cullen three times?
    It's just the nature of the professional game IMO where you can't expect to see the best side out for every game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Other sports don't have two different forms of the game to contend with though (soon to be 3).
    How does this relate to the demand on the players?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    The solution IMO, unless the ICC relents schedule-wise (though individual boards would probably still murder their players with games), is to specialize the ODI and Test squads further.
    How is the current ICC schedule so demanding on the players? I don't see what Australia are complaining about personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Rugby and Cricket are completely different sports though. There is always going to be experimentation on rugby tours because of the nature of the game. Injuries occur more frequently and substitutes are used in game which means you need a far greater player pool.

I personally don't mind seeing rotation and players rested in ODI's though. But your best XI should always play in a Test match
    The Black Caps seem to have more injuries than the All Blacks most of the time but I take your point

I would just like to see some specifics from the players about what they find so demanding about the current schedule.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information