• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The increased player schedule

James

Cricket Web Owner
There's more and more articles coming out from players saying the international playing schedule is too crowded with far too many games being played.

Is this really the case? New Zealand and Australia for example after their South Africa and Bangladesh tours don't play any cricket for six months. Is this really over-working them?

To compare it to rugby, the All Blacks are taking 39 players on their end of season tour to the UK and Argentina because of the number of games they're playing through the Super 14, Tri-nations, and NPC (NZ domestic rugby).

Cricket squads meanwhile continue to consist of around 16 players. Are we going to see teams take say 25 players on tour soon so core players get more of rest? England must have finished up with about 25 players on their tour of India due to the injuries they suffered.

Do you think there is even a packed schedule and the players are complaining about nothing?

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I think the scedule is packed with too many 7 match ODI series, and tri series (and more series) tournaments that are just there to make money.

That is what cramps the schedule up.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I guess my point is, how can New Zealand and Australian players complain about it when they get a huge six months off?

If it really is a problem, isn't the solution to simply send more players on tour?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
As I said in the Sunny Gavaskar thread, I think that when the teams are actually away on tour, there is too much cricket in too short a space of time, and also that there should be more time inbetween tours.

I guess this is made hard though by the times of the year when cricket can be played in certain countries.

Langeveldt

Soutie
James said:
If it really is a problem, isn't the solution to simply send more players on tour?
Thats not really the solution (unless you want stars like Dan Cullen playing games because people like Warne and Macgill are exhausted)

James

Cricket Web Owner
Langeveldt said:
Thats not really the solution (unless you want stars like Dan Cullen playing games because people like Warne and Macgill are exhausted)
The same thing is happening in many other sports though isn't it? To use the All Blacks again, on the UK tours, we play our B team against Scotland and Wales, and our A team against England and Ireland due to the strength of the teams we're playing and to rest our star players such as Dan Carter. The same could apply to Warne and co.

As I mentioned above, I don't see how the current schedule is "full on". I'm only going on Australia's and New Zealand's schedule mind, so maybe the likes of India, England, Pakistan, etc play twice the amount of games.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
James said:
The same thing is happening in many other sports though isn't it? To use the All Blacks again, on the UK tours, we play our B team against Scotland and Wales, and our A team against England and Ireland due to the strength of the teams we're playing and to rest our star players such as Dan Carter. The same could apply to Warne and co.

As I mentioned above, I don't see how the current schedule is "full on". I'm only going on Australia's and New Zealand's schedule mind, so maybe the likes of India, England, Pakistan, etc play twice the amount of games.
Other sports don't have two different forms of the game to contend with though (soon to be 3).

The solution IMO, unless the ICC relents schedule-wise (though individual boards would probably still murder their players with games), is to specialize the ODI and Test squads further.

Langeveldt

Soutie
James said:
The same thing is happening in many other sports though isn't it? .
That doesn't make it a good thing though, does it?

Would you rather watch Shane Warne once, or Cameron white and Dan Cullen three times?

Blaze

Banned
James said:

They wern't really A and B teams... both teams had first choice players in them, mixed with bench players.

Rugby and Cricket are completely different sports though. There is always going to be experimentation on rugby tours because of the nature of the game. Injuries occur more frequently and substitutes are used in game which means you need a far greater player pool.

I personally don't mind seeing rotation and players rested in ODI's though. But your best XI should always play in a Test match

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i think the ICC should just review their 5-year plan or whatever they call and reduce the schedule, for me players should have 6 months for playing and 6 months off.

Langeveldt

Soutie
aussie said:
i think the ICC should just review their 5-year plan or whatever they call and reduce the schedule, for me players should have 6 months for playing and 6 months off.
6 months playing, either international or domestic, and 6 months at home, preparation, being with the family, fitness etc.

Blaze

Banned
Langeveldt said:
6 months playing, either international or domestic, and 6 months at home, preparation, being with the family, fitness etc.
Yeah 3 months at home and 3 months away sounds good to me...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
aussie said:
I think that's a little too far, you've still got to be get around to most countries reasonably often. I'm more for reasonably constant cricket, with month breaks in between, maybe a little longer. Whether or not the climates around the world allow for that is a different matter, however.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Langeveldt said:
That doesn't make it a good thing though, does it?

Would you rather watch Shane Warne once, or Cameron white and Dan Cullen three times?
It's just the nature of the professional game IMO where you can't expect to see the best side out for every game.

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Other sports don't have two different forms of the game to contend with though (soon to be 3).
How does this relate to the demand on the players?

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The solution IMO, unless the ICC relents schedule-wise (though individual boards would probably still murder their players with games), is to specialize the ODI and Test squads further.
How is the current ICC schedule so demanding on the players? I don't see what Australia are complaining about personally.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Blaze said:
Rugby and Cricket are completely different sports though. There is always going to be experimentation on rugby tours because of the nature of the game. Injuries occur more frequently and substitutes are used in game which means you need a far greater player pool.

I personally don't mind seeing rotation and players rested in ODI's though. But your best XI should always play in a Test match
The Black Caps seem to have more injuries than the All Blacks most of the time but I take your point :wacko:

I would just like to see some specifics from the players about what they find so demanding about the current schedule.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
James said:
How is the current ICC schedule so demanding on the players? I don't see what Australia are complaining about personally.
It's been a pretty constant program for the last 18 months, though. From top of my head, since the last home summer...

Home vs NZ
ODIs (Chappell-Hadlee)
Home vs Pak
ODIs (VB)
ODIs
Away vs NZ
ODIs (tri series)
ODIs (vs Eng)
Away vs Eng
Home vs World XI
Home vs WI
Home vs SA
ODIs
Away vs SA
ODIs (vs SA)
Away vs Bang
ODIs (vs Bang)

Now, I'm sure that some of the other countries have had just as hectic a schedule, but it's still a lil over the top, IMO. I think there has to be a happy medium.

Majin

International Debutant
James said:
Rugby matches are 80 minutes long, and while i'm not trying to insinuate in anyway that it's not an intense physical game, playing anywhere up to 5 tests for potentially 5 days, and anywhere up to 7 ODI's in a series in such a short period of time has to be mentally exhausting as well as physically.

Mr Mxyzptlk

James said:
More games. Greater mental demands.
James said:
Playing a Test match a week is a big ask. I don't care if you get a year off after, playing a 3-Test series in less than a month is a big demand on a player. If looking at the schedule isn't enough to see it's demands, take a look at the number of players suffering from it these days.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
The BCCI set a precedent which indicates that boards will schedule games for financial gain even if the ICC doesn't do it for them.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
They wern't really A and B teams... both teams had first choice players in them, mixed with bench players.
Allow me to be even more pedantic. :D

The team v England was pretty much first-choice (barring injuries).

Right, back on topic...