• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Latest Comparison - Ponting or Chappell?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Err. Few innings here and there doesnt prove diddly squat. The fact remains- when pitches were juicy and bowling standards high, Ponting couldnt average 45 when Dravid averaged jjust over 50.[/QUOTE]

Has you mentioned earlier, these averages were up to 2001 right?. Could you show me them because i have my doubts..

C_C

International Captain
Has you mentioned earlier, these averages were up to 2001 right?. Could you show me them because i have my doubts..
Do this :

www.cricket.org -------> records---------> test records ----------> batting ---------> highest runs---------> Dravid( repeat process for Kallis/Ponting)-------> Test record----------> advanced filter--------> end date set to ' 2001-12-31'--------> innings-by innings/career summary.

The top line in the display is their current career stats. The second line is the filtered criteria.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
But failure against the Aussies is quite irrelevant- Ponting hasnt played the aussies.....
But he played againts Pakistan with Wasim, Waqar & Shoaib, South Africa with Donald & Pollock, West Indies with Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop & the Benjamins & made runs.

Plus of recent vs England & vs South Africa home & away..

C_C

International Captain
aussie said:
But he played againts Pakistan with Wasim, Waqar & Shoaib, South Africa with Donald & Pollock, West Indies with Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop & the Benjamins & made runs.

Plus of recent vs England & vs South Africa home & away..
So did Dravid...........
Dravid also managed to average a good 12-13 pts ( 52 vs 39) away from home more than Ponting.
That indicates significantly better adaptability ( and there still exists a 10+ point gap between Ponting and Dravid's away performances to this date, in Dravid's favour).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
aussie said:
From all reports i remember at the time i thought Sehwag was the best player on the tour but then again i'm not certain.
That was the ODIs.

Sehwag failed miserably in the tests. I think the top 3 Indian players if I remember correctly were Dravid, Laxman and Sachin on that tour, and Dravid was comfortably the best. Can't remember if Laxman did better than Sachin or the other way around though. But I do remember checking the stats for that series in the last few months.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Do this :

www.cricket.org -------> records---------> test records ----------> batting ---------> highest runs---------> Dravid( repeat process for Kallis/Ponting)-------> Test record----------> advanced filter--------> end date set to ' 2001-12-31'--------> innings-by innings/career summary.

The top line in the display is their current career stats. The second line is the filtered criteria.
well i did it, and i think it would be better if we remove there matches vs ZIM & BAN since in Dravid's case it REALLY helped him to average 51.91 UP to the end of 2001. For Ponting it didn't since he only played 1 innings vs ZIM in all that time.

So vs all teams Dravid averaged 51.91 by 2001
vs all teams Ponting averaged 44.19 by 2001

removed ZIM & BAN Dravid averaged 44.30:laugh:
remove ZIM Ponting averaged 44.39

I think we have a winner:laugh: , but seriously its pretty even.

C_C

International Captain
aussie said:
well i did it, and i think it would be better if we remove there matches vs ZIM & BAN since in Dravid's case it REALLY helped him to average 51.91 UP to the end of 2001. For Ponting it didn't since he only played 1 innings vs ZIM in all that time.

So vs all teams Dravid averaged 51.91 by 2001
vs all teams Ponting averaged 44.19 by 2001

removed ZIM & BAN Dravid averaged 44.30:laugh:
remove ZIM Ponting averaged 44.39

I think we have a winner:laugh: , but seriously its pretty even.
Err, Zimbabwe pre-2001 wernt different than your standard Kiwi attack. Kiwis had Cairns and nobody, Zimboks had Streak and nobody.
You forget that in the mid/late 90s period, the zimbabwe were quite a decent team- atleast as good as the WI are today, if not a bit better.

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
From all reports i remember at the time i thought Sehwag was the best player on the tour but then again i'm not certain.
sehwag averaged 10 in the tests. if im correct he scored 2 ODI 100s. dravid was comfortably the best batsman in the indian side. in fact only mark richardson came out with a better average from both sides, and there isnt much doubt that he faced a weaker attack.

aussie said:
Well yes, but it just helps my argument. Ponting has never anywhere had problems againts fast bowling in conditions that assist them or not.
err how does Dravid struggling against warm up sides prove anything? fact is that he had 1 bad tour of australia, and he hasnt had the chance to play mcgrath and warne in australia since. if we were to talk about one bad series, we could mention pontings failure against england in 98/99

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Whomever said we wont know who's better until Ponting retires is correct.

It's weird but it's just, for some weird reason, easier to guage who's greater when they retire. Ponting almost has as many centuries as any man in history, but their quality and impact can't really be seen yet.

I personally think Punter, if he can't regain the Ashes, will be most remembered for losing the Ashes than anything else. Something will define him before he retires so I can't judge him.

One thing I did want to say is that I'm glad I've seen him play on TV a lot over the last year. The reason being is that there's a genralisation that pitches these days are flatter and more batsman friendly... and that's somewhat true. But many of Ponting's centuries have been made in incredibly hard circumstances and anybody saying they haven't is wrong.

The hardest one being at Old Trafford where the ball was seaming and jagging and the bounce was unpredictable. That's the best innings he's ever played, easily. I've seen Lara and Tendulkar at their best and I must say even they would have a hard time doing what Ponting did. Ponting at 99% couldn't do what he did that day. And under the highest of pressure. 3 wickets from 30 overs needed and he faced most of the balls under the most intense pressure. It doesn't get more nerve racking than that, he did amazing.

Then there was a century against South Africa at the SCG, in a game where he made two centuries. The second century was amazing. Low bounce and he played it with such a straight bat. Never once hesitated in going for the win.

Then there's the one in South Africa a few months ago, in that test where he made two centuries. Man that ball was jagging and seaming all over the place. If I recall South Africa were very unlucky not to get more wickets because they nearly found the edge so much. To be fair, Ponting had some luck and was even dropped. But other than that he was just phenominal.

And in a match that somewhat changed my opinion on how I judge teams against Bangladesh, Ponting played a great innings. It wasn't Bangladesh, I still think they suck, it was the pitch. It played beautifully in the first day, but after that is was impossible to judge the bounce. Meaning two things. 1. You had to play with a straight bat because with an unpredictable bounce you had to give yourself as much surface area to hit the ball. 2. You couldn't go for balls off the line of the stumps because you'd have less bat area to hit the ball. But the thing is it's hard hitting the ball off an off-stump line and Rafique was suprisingly relentless in fidning the right line and he plenty of maidens.
So Bangladesh were never going to beat Ponting, Ponting was going to beat himself if he decided to play a bat shot. Again under pressure of Australia's most embarrassing defeat he came through. In fact he only batted three times in Bangladesh. The first time he went out to an unplayable ball that jagged off the seam and kept low. The second time he was undefeated, not out. The third time he was run out. Really Bangladesh has very little chance of beating him... which normally wouldn't say much, had Ponting not played in some bad conditions.

So anybody saying Ponting's purple patch has been made in easy conditions is wrong. They've been on pitches with bad bounces, jagging balls, swing balls (Simon Jones) and just tough going.

People have said the same of Matthew Hayden in the past and argued he's not good on seaming or swinging wickets. He's batted in the same conditions as Ponting and may right now be the second best batsman in the world.

So nobody can really argue that Ponting had it easy. Yet in decades to come they might fall under the impression he had it easy in an era of flat wickets.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
C_C said:
Err. Few innings here and there doesnt prove diddly squat. The fact remains- when pitches were juicy and bowling standards high, Ponting couldnt average 45 when Dravid averaged jjust over 50.
Are you aware that Ponting was under 25 for most of that period, while Dravid was 27 and moving into his prime?

Averages when in batting prime (over 28):

Ponting
Filter: in matches that started after 2002-12-19.

Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St

unfiltered 105 8792 257 58.22 31 34 5 1/0 46.20 0 120 0
filtered 43 4597 257 69.65 17 17 1 1/9 66.00 0 41 0

Dravid
Filter: in matches that started after 2001-01-11.
Sort order: chronological.

Mat I NO Runs HS1 HS2 HS3 Ave 100 50 0

unfiltered 100 169 21 8553 270 233 222 57.79 22 42 6
filtered 60 100 14 5231 270 233 222 60.82 14 25 4
There are still plenty of decent bowlers around, you realise. 8-)

C_C

International Captain
Are you aware that Ponting was under 25 for most of that period, while Dravid was 27 and moving into his prime?

Averages when in batting prime (over 28):
Umm.... i find this whole ' hitting prime' argument to be pretty weak, since we are talking about two players who are within a year or two of each other in age and made a debut within a year or two of each other as well. this whole 'didnt hit their prime' is avoidance of the real issue - one was very good and one was worldclass/boderline great when pitches were juicy and bowling attacks potent- both cashed in later on easier pitches on much inferior bowling attacks.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Err, Zimbabwe pre-2001 wernt different than your standard Kiwi attack. Kiwis had Cairns and nobody, Zimboks had Streak and nobody.
You forget that in the mid/late 90s period, the zimbabwe were quite a decent team- atleast as good as the WI are today, if not a bit better.
Yo you forgetting Nash who & especially Allot & Doull? even though they were injury plagued, they were definately two of the better bowlers in the late 90s. Zim were decent team but that overall idea is irrelevant since we are talking about their bowling attack which still was very poor.

Even if i were to go with you, its like you are saying the Kiwi attack was poor also, so i should leave them out. If that were the case Ponting would average 50.56 & Dravid 43.22.:p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but then you have to take out Australia's attack since Ponting never faced it.

And suddenly it gets even more ridiculous because you're basically seeing who was better against SA, SL, WI and Pakistan.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Yeah but then you have to take out Australia's attack since Ponting never faced it.

And suddenly it gets even more ridiculous because you're basically seeing who was better against SA, SL, WI and Pakistan.
haha, well yea thats true. But what are you going to do about that really. You just have to judge them regardless of the fact that Ponting is an aussie and didn't have to face McGrath/Warne/ Gillespie.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Solution: You just end this argument and put in a tape of Dravid and Ponting's best knocks and enjoy them, because its a privilege watching both of them :cool:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
C_C said:
Umm.... i find this whole ' hitting prime' argument to be pretty weak, since we are talking about two players who are within a year or two of each other in age and made a debut within a year or two of each other as well. this whole 'didnt hit their prime' is avoidance of the real issue - one was very good and one was worldclass/boderline great when pitches were juicy and bowling attacks potent- both cashed in later on easier pitches on much inferior bowling attacks.
So why are we arguing?! :D

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Did nobody read my post on the previous page? Ponting's played well in tough conditions in the last few months and it has nothing to do with pitches.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I read it and agree with most of it.

However I don't acknowledge that the 5th day ton against SA in Sydney was played in adverse batting conditions. That pitch flattened out after day 2 and became easier to bat on. You would rarely (not never) have seen conditions that batsman friendly on a day 5 SCG pitch pre-2000.

I'm sorry but when you chase down that score with the loss of only 2 wickets on the last day of a test, I think its clear the conditions weren't that bad for batting. Still a terrific knock by Ponting to go for the win in such an aggressive manner, but the conditions were not as hard as you made it out to be.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
His 1st innings century was when the pitch was was pretty helpful for seam bowling though.