• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's 25 Contracted Players - Announced Shortly

howardj

International Coach
At the end of this month the Australian selectors announce the 25 contracted players for 2006-07. Players are ranked 1-25 and their salaries range from $620 000 to $150 000. The criteria is: the form of the players over the past 12 months; and their likelihood of Australian selection over the next 12 months taking into account who Australia plays, the balance of the side and the need to ensure the future development of the Test and one-day international teams.

Here's my 25 and my rankings. It's the case, apparently, that players who play both forms of the game are always ranked higher than players who play only one form of the game. Accordingly, guys like Stuart Clark are likely to be ranked higher than Shane Warne, despite their respective achievements. Anyway, taking into account the above criteria...

Rankings of players who play both forms:
1 Ponting
2 Gilchrist
3 Lee
4 McGrath
5 Martyn
6 Clark
7 Clarke

Rankings of players who play one form
8 Warne
9 Hayden
10 Symonds
11 Langer
12 Gillespie
13 Bracken
14 MacGill
15 Hogg
16 Katich

Rankings of fringe players
17 Watson
18 Jaques
19 Cullen
20 Tait
21 Haddin
22 Hodge
23 Johnson
24 Kasprowicz
25 Cosgrove

Out from last year: Hopes; White; Lewis

The highlighted players are the new additions...all in my opinion.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Those salaries seem petty low. The average salary of a major league baseball player is over $3 million USD.

The best players can get contracts of $100million+ USD over some period of years. I think the highest contract is for around $250 million (over 8-10 years I think...remember thats ONE person). And there are like 30 teams...so the total money involved is mind boggling. So one person makes MORE than the 25 members of the Australian team combined?

In fact, the National Football League here, has TV contracts that total $3.1 billion/B] USD per year (from 2006-2011, for a total of $18 billion dollars).

I am sure Soccer players in Europe make at least as much.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
oops, i forgot mike hussey :laugh:

he'd be in at number four or five, which would push cosgrove out.

howardj

International Coach
DanielFullard said:
Mick Lewis getting a full season in for Durham.......Great!
don't tell me he's (inadequately) replacing hussey?

no wonder you're filthy at him! :laugh:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Wouldn't be suprised to see Hodge miss out. And wouldn't be all that surprised if White kept his.

But if White did miss out, that'd leave Lewis, White and Hodge to have to be paid by the state and so quite a few guys in Vic will lose their contract too as a result. :no:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Michael Clarke will be above Stuart Clark i would think, given that he is well settled into the OD team whereas Stuart Clark is a fringe player in both

pskov

International 12th Man
silentstriker said:
Sad that no cricket players are on here:

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2004/0705/093tab.html

And suprisingly few soccer players. The list is dominated by American sports. Thats a bit suprising. I guess we take our sports seriously ;)
Resources are simply more diluted. There are only 32 NFL teams, but there are 96 league teams in England alone.

USA = marginaly under 300 million people 300/32 = one NFL team per 9.32 million people
UK + Spain + Germany + Italy + France = marginally over 300 million people with 100 highest division teams = one top division team per 3 million people. And that's before we even get into lower division teams.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
vic_orthdox said:
Wouldn't be suprised to see Hodge miss out. And wouldn't be all that surprised if White kept his.

But if White did miss out, that'd leave Lewis, White and Hodge to have to be paid by the state and so quite a few guys in Vic will lose their contract too as a result. :no:
You'll have to wait at least another season now, Jack.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
pskov said:
Resources are simply more diluted. There are only 32 NFL teams, but there are 96 league teams in England alone.

USA = marginaly under 300 million people 300/32 = one NFL team per 9.32 million people
UK + Spain + Germany + Italy + France = marginally over 300 million people with 100 highest division teams = one top division team per 3 million people. And that's before we even get into lower division teams.

Its slightly different. Many states and cities don't have teams, and so even though they follow NFL, they usually don't follow it enough. And NFL is just one sport, there are three major sports and a fourth semi-major sport (ice hockey), all of which seem to make more than cricket (and three of them more than soccer).

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
I can't see Hopes missing out on a contract after being called up to Bangladesh for the ODIs.
Its really between Haddin, Hodge, Cosgrove and Hopes for the last two spots IMO.