• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in West Indies

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I'm almost certain that you weren't slamming Munaf Patel when he was ripping through the frontline England batsmen a short while ago.

You probably also weren't such a fierce advocate of the great Pathan and the great hope of Sreesanth back then either.

Suddenly India's bowling attack has gone from promising with Pathan, Sreesanth and Patel on the rise to rubbish. Lovely.

Overseas, the indian attack has always been rubbish. There is no point in sending Pathan /Munaf home because everyone who replaces them will be equal crap. At home they do well, and have always done relatively well. Overseas, we are the worst team in world cricket (maybe not as bad as SL). So yes, WI are better than India, when the games are not in India.

So did you play better than India? Obviously. But thats just cause we stink.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Spinners did not win that series for the West Indies nor did it lose it for India.
I beg to differ. The WI spinners (and their bowling in general against our overrated batsman) were one of the keys to this series.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
silentstriker said:
Overseas, the indian attack has always been rubbish. There is no point in sending Pathan /Munaf home because everyone who replaces them will be equal crap. At home they do well, and have always done relatively well. Overseas, we are the worst team in world cricket (maybe not as bad as SL). So yes, WI are better than India, when the games are not in India.
India is a better away team than the West Indies. The West Indies is quite clearly the worst away team in world cricket at the moment. I don't care how long India has gone without an away win. The West Indies team has barely won a relevant match - Test or ODI - in almost a decade.
silentstriker said:
So did you play better than India? Obviously. But thats just cause we stink.
And again. You just can't give credit to the West Indies for a playing exceptionally.

It wasn't "just because India stinks". 8-)

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

silentstriker said:
I beg to differ. The WI spinners (and their bowling in general against our overrated batsman) were one of the keys to this series.
I think it was far more the way the West Indian batsmen played the Indian spinners that affected the result of the series. The pitches were slow and offered a surprising amount of turn at times. The West Indians just handled the spin better than the Indians.

I say this to be more relevant, because had the West Indies batsmen played the spinners poorly, it would not have mattered that the Indians did so as well.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
India are a better away team than the West Indies. The West Indies is quite clearly the worst away team in world cricket at the moment. I don't care how long India has gone without an away win. The West Indies team has barely won a relevant match - Test or ODI - in almost a decade.

And again. You just can't give credit to the West Indies for a playing exceptionally.

It wasn't "just because India stinks". 8-)

Well, I am not sure if this discussion is going anywhere. I guess in the end, after watching the games, I blame India for the loss, while you laud WI for the win.

Mr Mxyzptlk

silentstriker said:
Well, I am not sure if this discussion is going anywhere. I guess in the end, after watching the games, I blame India for the loss, while you laud WI for the win.
And that's not surprising at all. It's far easier to say that your team played poorly than to acknowledge the opposition played well. You see, with the former, you can still maintain that the West Indies team is crap.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And that's not surprising at all. It's far easier to say that your team played poorly than to acknowledge the opposition played well. You see, with the former, you can still maintain that the West Indies team is crap.

They aren't crap, they are average. India is simply well below average overseas.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
I don't really know how this argument has been going but the fact remains that India did play poorly. Not just the batting but all three areas of the game. The WIndies played better but if they had played has brilliantly as you make them out to have MrXYZ, then the margin of victory in 4 of the games wouldn't have been so small. Now, does this mean that if India had played better, they would definitely have won? No. WI might have raised their game a little more and still pulled off the wins.
To summarize, WI played the better cricket but India wasn't at their best game. Kudos to WI and back to the drawing board for India.
All this, ofcourse, IMHO.

India play like tigers on dead wickets at home & in Pakistan(some Indian are spinner paradises though) but always struggle when playing away & on greentops(they showed abyssmal performance at Karachi.Didn't they?And in the test series,we might see Lara,Sarwan & Gyale tearing apart rubbish Indian pace attack.If Lara is in mood of crushing india,we might also see him scoring 502* against the weak indian bowling lineup.India are minnows & can never be as good as Australia,South Africa & Pakistan.

Mr Mxyzptlk

viktor said:
I don't really know how this argument has been going but the fact remains that India did play poorly. Not just the batting but all three areas of the game. The WIndies played better but if they had played has brilliantly as you make them out to have MrXYZ, then the margin of victory in 4 of the games wouldn't have been so small. Now, does this mean that if India had played better, they would definitely have won? No. WI might have raised their game a little more and still pulled off the wins.
To summarize, WI played the better cricket but India wasn't at their best game. Kudos to WI and back to the drawing board for India.
All this, ofcourse, IMHO.
The West Indies won the 4th game fairly comprehensively and never looked too troubled in the 3rd game until the final couple of overs.

The 5th game was a lot more comprehensive than the margin indicates. The margin of victory indicates statistics and results. Watching the games indicated the quality of cricket.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
My word. You Indian fans are quick to right off your team. The Windies sucks quite a lot of the time but we still stand by them.Maybe I'm just wrongly reading your sentiments.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The West Indies won the 4th game fairly comprehensively and never looked too troubled in the 3rd game until the final couple of overs.

The 5th game was a lot more comprehensive than the margin indicates. The margin of victory indicates statistics and results. Watching the games indicated the quality of cricket.
I said 4 of the games; obviously I did not include the 4th game, you dragged it in unnecessarily. Let us also not forget that it was mainly due to a Lara special.

In the 5th game, WI were in a similar situation to what India were in the 2nd game. That they kept their heads better than the Indians is credit to them. The third game was close enough for me, not a comprehensive win, like you, know the 4th game.

Look, I do give WI the credit for playing better than India. But when you were watching the game, which I am assuming you did, did you not feel that the Indians underperformed; especially in the fielding and bowling? Batting failure, I would say was due to some canny bowling and superb fielding by the Windies. In the bowling however, it wasn't as if any of WI batsmen were going after the bowling, except Gayle, so it should not have been difficult for them to stick to a length. The fielding was poor, period. Again, they have fielded better in the past. Maybe the WI batsmen put some pressure on them but like I said, they have been there before.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
roseboy64 said:
My word. You Indian fans are quick to right off your team. The Windies sucks quite a lot of the time but we still stand by them.Maybe I'm just wrongly reading your sentiments.

Well of course I still stand by them. As in, I will support them till I die. But I am realistic enough to admit how much we suck, while still praying for a miracle.

My comments have been percieved as trying to snub the WI team, and this is not true at all. Yes, I think they're an average team, but they're still better than India, and performed BETTER than India. And I'm giving them full credit for performing better than India.

India played poorly because they stink outside the subcontinent, and thus WI are a better team than India. So I am not trying to slight the WI...I'm calling them the better team. And the better team won.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
roseboy64 said:
No, you're just reading one or two.

adharcric

International Coach
Overall, I still believe that India are a better team than the West Indies. In this series, the West Indies simply outplayed India all the way through. The WI batted sensibly, their spinners kept it tight in the middle-overs and the fielding was solid overall. India's batting wasn't horrendous but a little unwise at crucial stages, their bowlers lost the initiative early on and the fielding was uninspired. The West Indies played above average but not exceptional cricket. That said, they did enough to get through and perhaps they would raise their game if the opposition set a greater challenge. India played below average but not pathetic cricket. To me, what India were doing seemed a lot more unusual than what West Indies were doing. Anyways, it's natural that Indian fans will focus on what India did right or wrong and West Indian fans will focus on what West Indies did right or wrong, because that's the way it works: you naturally care about your own strengths and weaknesses because that's what you can control.

Alright, on to the tests. Let's hope for top stuff from both teams and not a series gifted by either team.

adharcric

International Coach
roseboy64 said:
While I agree with Jono that you're reacting to a few people on here, I also share the impression that there seems to be more pessimistic Indian fans than one would desire. Perhaps I'm wrong about that.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The words "sensationalist" or "over-reacting" would serve better than "pessimistic". Wait and see what happens if you win a Test match.

adharcric

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
The words "sensationalist" or "over-reacting" would serve better than "pessimistic". Wait and see what happens if you win a Test match.
Yep, that's it. Sensationalism.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
adharcric said:
Yep, that's it. Sensationalism.
Thats rich adharcric, coming from you. I mean, c'mon, "Here comes the pace finally"????
While I agree that we fans tend to be sensationalistic, in this series, we did play poorly and deserve some of the critcism.

My use of pronouns sucks...

Last edited: