• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in West Indies

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
Powar has an advantage over both Kaif and Harbhajan, since he can perform a dual role. He can not only bowl a lot more overs and take more wickets than Kaif, but he can also score more runs than Harbhajan.
Which ignores the fact that Kaif is a significantly better batsman and Harbhajan a significantly better bowler 8-)

viktor

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Which ignores the fact that Kaif is a significantly better batsman and Harbhajan a significantly better bowler 8-)
I think Powar might surprise a few if given a chance in the Tests. Harby might have the doosra but, IMO, Powar is the cannier of the two.
And how is Kaif better than Powar?? How many sixes has he hit??? ;).
Ofcourse, I am biased.

adharcric

International Coach
Arjun said:
Powar has an advantage over both Kaif and Harbhajan, since he can perform a dual role. He can not only bowl a lot more overs and take more wickets than Kaif, but he can also score more runs than Harbhajan.
As Marc just indicated, this is by far the most hilarious comment you've made about Indian selection. Bahutule can take more wickets than Tendulkar and score more runs than Sreesanth ... no one gives a ****. As for Powar, he might be able to do better than Harbhajan in tests because he's the best anti-slog spinner I've seen in a long time ... another is Chawla, both know exactly when to deceive the batsman who's coming out. He's still behind Bhajji in the list though, as long as Bhajji keeps taking wickets at the top level.

You were probably saying Powar is an all-rounder so it helps, but you really should've left that last part out for your own credibility sake. :)

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
He is more annoying than SP. How can one continue to post like this. It just doesn't make any sense. And you know what his best quality is, he just ignores your comments and goes on to make another post like that. Now only if SP could learn that from him.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i can't prodect any thing now. if tandulker palys then it would be intersting to see lara and tandulker in the same match.

adharcric

International Coach
haroon510 said:
i can't prodect any thing now. if tandulker palys then it would be intersting to see lara and tandulker in the same match.
its tendulkar
how do you manage to get as far as an online forum and not know how his name is spelled? :)

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
He is more annoying than SP. How can one continue to post like this. It just doesn't make any sense. And you know what his best quality is, he just ignores your comments and goes on to make another post like that. Now only if SP could learn that from him.
The thing is, he is pretty knowledgable and has good out-of-the-box opinions often. Sometimes, he takes it too far. (6-hitters, Munaf is a batsmen, JP Yadav, Justin Kemp, Kaif can't bowl, you get the flow ...)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
As Marc just indicated, this is by far the most hilarious comment you've made about Indian selection. Bahutule can take more wickets than Tendulkar and score more runs than Sreesanth ... no one gives a ****. As for Powar, he might be able to do better than Harbhajan in tests because he's the best anti-slog spinner I've seen in a long time ... another is Chawla, both know exactly when to deceive the batsman who's coming out. He's still behind Bhajji in the list though, as long as Bhajji keeps taking wickets at the top level.

You were probably saying Powar is an all-rounder so it helps, but you really should've left that last part out for your own credibility sake. :)
  • Bahutule's is a shut case, let's not go there.
  • Kaif has an average and a strike rate equal to Powar's.
  • Kaif doesn't look like scoring a century in the next match, and would be lucky to even get 50, at a low strike rate by ODI standards. That's reason enough for so many fans demanding his ouster from Tests (he's not even an option on the bench in Tests to some) and even ODIs.
  • Then there's that other bunch who still think Harbhajan can't take wickets overseas. While that may be debatable, given he's got over 200 Test wickets, he still averages over 40 in Tests away from India and a little over 30 in ODIs anywhere.
  • The team won't miss an extra middle-order batsman if he's nothing special, since two bowlers (Powar included) can score just as much.
You can pick five batsmen, Dhoni, Powar and the top four bowlers (Irfan being one) and you have a reasonably good combination. Why complain?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
While Sehwag's woeful ODI form (although improved in Abu Dhabi) is a concern, he can help himself by batting like a proper batsman and not the lone pinch-hitter in the side. His average has often suffered since he's tried to hit too many shots, often playing shots that are not his. Given the options in the Indian side at present, he can tone down his batting a little, try to occupy the crease longer and leave the extra big-hitting to the likes of Dhoni, Irfan, Powar and a few others. He'll score more then.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
There is no live scorecard on CricInfo for the practice match, but when I checked a few minutes ago, the Indians were 140 for 3, with Sehwag and Dravid out in the 30's. Raina was then not out on 26, and 28 overs were bowled.

While Dravid opening the innings was one move they could do without, the selection of Ramesh Powar and Munaf Patel was a good move. Let's see how well Munaf bowls. His opposite number isn't doing too bad.

adharcric

International Coach
Arjun said:
[*]Bahutule's is a shut case, let's not go there.
That's precisely the reason I brought his name up; just to show how ridiculous the argument that "Powar bowls better than Kaif and bats better than Harbhajan so he should be in the side ahead of both of them" is.
Arjun said:
[*]Kaif has an average and a strike rate equal to Powar's.[*]Kaif doesn't look like scoring a century in the next match, and would be lucky to even get 50, at a low strike rate by ODI standards. That's reason enough for so many fans demanding his ouster from Tests (he's not even an option on the bench in Tests to some) and even ODIs.
Average? His average is better than Sehwag's despite the fact that Sehwag has opened for a while now and Kaif has been sent in at #6 for a while now to score fast, something which he isn't suited for. Now, I'm not saying it's excusable ... as long as there's a better #3 in the team (Dravid), Kaif needs to learn how to score quickly. Don't bring in averages, because they don't mean THAT much.
Arjun said:
[*]Then there's that other bunch who still think Harbhajan can't take wickets overseas. While that may be debatable, given he's got over 200 Test wickets, he still averages over 40 in Tests away from India and a little over 30 in ODIs anywhere.
I don't know how good he is overseas because I haven't seen him bowl personally. He seems to have regained his groove so let's see how it pans out.
Arjun said:
[*]The team won't miss an extra middle-order batsman if he's nothing special, since two bowlers (Powar included) can score just as much. You can pick five batsmen, Dhoni, Powar and the top four bowlers (Irfan being one) and you have a reasonably good combination. Why complain?
I'd definitely like to see that in the near future as well, with Powar and Chawla later playing the role of the spinner at #8 who can bat well. (both better than Bhajji with the bat) Right now, Harbhajan is the man and he's proven. If he fails in the Windies, I'm all for Powar.

adharcric

International Coach
Arjun said:
While Sehwag's woeful ODI form (although improved in Abu Dhabi) is a concern, he can help himself by batting like a proper batsman and not the lone pinch-hitter in the side. His average has often suffered since he's tried to hit too many shots, often playing shots that are not his. Given the options in the Indian side at present, he can tone down his batting a little, try to occupy the crease longer and leave the extra big-hitting to the likes of Dhoni, Irfan, Powar and a few others. He'll score more then.
Yep, I think Sehwag said he would try to do that too. That would really help matters.

adharcric

International Coach
Arjun said:
There is no live scorecard on CricInfo for the practice match, but when I checked a few minutes ago, the Indians were 140 for 3, with Sehwag and Dravid out in the 30's. Raina was then not out on 26, and 28 overs were bowled.

While Dravid opening the innings was one move they could do without, the selection of Ramesh Powar and Munaf Patel was a good move. Let's see how well Munaf bowls. His opposite number isn't doing too bad.
Wait I'm looking at it right now and Powar isn't there, but VR Singh is ... wtf? He wasn't even selected for the tour right? Anyways, good to see Raina and Kaif do well and Dhoni blast his way to 49. Dravid opening in the practice match is good because Uthappa should already be match fit from the A tour. I'd like to see Uthappa open but one gets the feeling they'll put Dravid there just so they can accomodate both Kaif and Raina.

adharcric

International Coach
Looks like Powar is out for the first two one-dayers and Sreesanth is unfit. Perhaps that explains VR Singh's presence.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
adharcric said:
Looks like Powar is out for the first two one-dayers and Sreesanth is unfit. Perhaps that explains VR Singh's presence.
Where'd you get that about Sreesanth?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
As Michael Holding noted, West Indian grounds might not be big enough for Dhoni. Jamaica looked to be doing pretty well until his onslaught.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Hmmm..but they wouldn't have had time to call for a replacement. Also the article says there are no plans to send Sree home.

adharcric

International Coach
Yeah they shouldn't send him home because he's huge for the test matches. Still, I have a feeling they brought VRV with them just in case.