Page 11 of 165 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 2463

Thread: ***Official*** India in West Indies

  1. #151
    International Coach adharcric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    10,898
    Given that Tendulkar is fit to return for the four tests, these would be the certain selections.

    Opening Batsmen: V Sehwag, W Jaffer
    Middle-Order Batsmen: R Dravid, S Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Y Singh, M Kaif
    Wicketkeeper: MS Dhoni
    Seamers: I Pathan, S Sreesanth, M Patel, RP Singh
    Spinners: A Kumble, H Singh

    I'm assuming we'll take a 15-man squad for the tests as well. Would you opt for an extra opener (G Gambhir), extra middle-order bat (S Raina), extra keeper (D Karthik), extra seamer (VRV Singh) or extra spinner (R Powar)?

    Having 6 middle-order bats is ridiculous, so rule out Raina. 3 spinners seems like a subcontinental thing to do, so rule out Powar. VRV Singh probably won't be needed and has an A tour starting a few days after the 4th test, so rule him out. I'd probably go with Gambhir then as he is also a good close-in fielder in case that **** happens again. Maybe we can send Karthik as the 16th member.

  2. #152
    International Regular shaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland NZ
    Posts
    3,045
    why is there an even number of tests for this series? do they want a tie?
    winner of formula 1 prediction thread 2005 competition and look forward to next year

    shakaSaulo@cricketmail.net

  3. #153
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, BRD
    Posts
    22,897
    Quote Originally Posted by shaka
    why is there an even number of tests for this series? do they want a tie?
    One game at Antigua, so I suppose that's exactly what they don't want.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

    Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

  4. #154
    International Regular Steulen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Clydeside Cloggie
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    One game at Antigua, so I suppose that's exactly what they don't want.
    Yeah, what's the point of playing there. Does Lara want to score 502*?
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...


  5. #155
    International Coach adharcric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    10,898
    Quote Originally Posted by shaka
    why is there an even number of tests for this series? do they want a tie?
    Well the BCCI said they agreed to a fourth test because the WICB wanted it to raise funds.

  6. #156
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, BRD
    Posts
    22,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen
    Yeah, what's the point of playing there. Does Lara want to score 502*?
    Crowds and tradition, I suppose.

    Don't believe he'll get it if Kumble's playing, tho.

  7. #157
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen
    Yeah, what's the point of playing there. Does Lara want to score 502*?
    You haven't seen the pitch thus far this year, eh?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."


  8. #158
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Crowds and tradition, I suppose.

    Don't believe he'll get it if Kumble's playing, tho.
    I'd wager Kumble doesn't dismiss Lara in either innings at the ARG.

  9. #159
    Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    18,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    You haven't seen the pitch thus far this year, eh?
    Maybe it was underprepared with all the furore before the match. Certainly strange looking pitch for the ARG.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

  10. #160
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by roseboy64
    Maybe it was underprepared with all the furore before the match. Certainly strange looking pitch for the ARG.
    It would make a hell of a different sort of Test match pitch. Certainly not one for the strokemakers such as Lara, Gayle, Tendulkar and Sehwag.

  11. #161
    Cricketer Of The Year Arjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    8,367
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    Given that Tendulkar is fit to return for the four tests, these would be the certain selections.

    Opening Batsmen: V Sehwag, W Jaffer
    Middle-Order Batsmen: R Dravid, S Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Y Singh, M Kaif
    Wicketkeeper: MS Dhoni
    Seamers: I Pathan, S Sreesanth, M Patel, RP Singh
    Spinners: A Kumble, H Singh

    I'm assuming we'll take a 15-man squad for the tests as well. Would you opt for an extra opener (G Gambhir), extra middle-order bat (S Raina), extra keeper (D Karthik), extra seamer (VRV Singh) or extra spinner (R Powar)?

    Having 6 middle-order bats is ridiculous, so rule out Raina. 3 spinners seems like a subcontinental thing to do, so rule out Powar. VRV Singh probably won't be needed and has an A tour starting a few days after the 4th test, so rule him out. I'd probably go with Gambhir then as he is also a good close-in fielder in case that **** happens again. Maybe we can send Karthik as the 16th member.
    We agree on most selections, but Kaif is merely a bits-and-pieces batsman at Test level. Maybe you can try out Venugopal or Raina or even a third opener, the last being the best choice. Then again, why not have Tendulkar opening the innings? You have a risk-taking coach here and none of the openers really justify their selections at the top of the order, even ahead of a promoted Tendulkar. That said, Gautam Gambhir hasn't been given a fair try, nor is it too bad an idea to have ODI prospect Robin Uthappa opening the innings.

    You can have Powar as a third spinner to complete the 15-man squad. Given the need to play five bowlers yet not lose out on extra runs, Harbhajan's woeful form (though recovering in ODI's) and Powar's methods of making the batsmen play, he's a good choice to have in the starting lineup.

    If you can take a squad of 16, there's no point in taking a second wicketkeeper. He'll only be an extra in tour matches, if he gets any. Rather, they can go in for someone like JP Yadav or Joginder Sharma or even Reetinder Sodhi (I know that's going a little too far, but you must have got what I'm hinting at) in place. They're more likely to get a match, even if it's a tour match they're playing. Score runs and provide support to Sreesanth and Irfan, that's what this player needs to do, if he gets a match. Then both Kumble and Harbhajan can make the team, and that's over 700 wickets between them, making that a crucial pair.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

    Twenty20 used to be boring.

    Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

  12. #162
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,985
    Kaif is a bits and pieces batsman at test level? May I ask what exactly what a bits and pieces batsman at test level is? Is it someone that isn't a stroke maker?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  13. #163
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,723
    He's never hit a six in his life?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  14. #164
    Cricketer Of The Year Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    9,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Kaif is a bits and pieces batsman at test level? May I ask what exactly what a bits and pieces batsman at test level is? Is it someone that isn't a stroke maker?
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

  15. #165
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    He's never hit a six in his life?
    I think so. Kick out Kaif and play Munaf Patel at 5 to hit those big shots, I say.

Page 11 of 165 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ***Offical*** English Football Season 2004/05
    By Jamee999 in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 3216
    Last Post: 16-06-2005, 12:55 PM
  2. **Official** South Africa in India Thread
    By Neil Pickup in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 453
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 07:26 AM
  3. Latest PWC rankings
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 12:55 PM
  4. The West Indies to Glory (note oxymoron)
    By Samuel_Vimes in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-03-2004, 02:31 PM
  5. *Official* West Indies in Zimbabwe Thread
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 554
    Last Post: 01-12-2003, 03:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •