• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Answer to Stump Mic's

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
I was reading the paper on Thursday and it turns out Australia have successfully got the broadcasters of the first test against Bangladesh to turn the stump mic's down...

Apparently the team agreed on the prank before the game... However it was mainly Gilly who was the ring leader cos he was closest to the stumps for a long time..

On numerous occasions Gilly was giving massive plugs for various team sponsors... The article contained about 5 quotes that he said ranging from 3 communications to Milo Bars but the best one was what he said after Roy fired in a return to Gilly at the stumps and Gilly said "Woah that throw was hot, he must've had a Milo Energy Bar before play to give him lots of energy".

Very creative and well done Australia.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Perhaps they'd have been better served concentrating on playing the game then messing around.

How funny would it have been if they'd lost?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Perhaps they'd have been better served concentrating on playing the game then messing around.

But did they?

Best of both worlds really. It's not like they underperformed because of Gilly doing that.

open365

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:

Come of it, saying things in the field has no adverse effect on a players performance, in fact, talking to the keeper in between balls helps the slips to relax and save mental energy

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Strikes me as odd that the simple expedient of not swearing and/or sledging wasn't considered as an option.

Still when your country's founded by convicts.... :p

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:

You're right...having a sense of humour whilst playing is simply not on.

I think if they had lost, attributing it to a few quotes about a milo bar may have been missing the mark.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
open365 said:
Come of it, saying things in the field has no adverse effect on a players performance, in fact, talking to the keeper in between balls helps the slips to relax and save mental energy
It clearly shows there's not 100% focus on the game, does it not?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
It clearly shows there's not 100% focus on the game, does it not?
I don't really think 5 or 6 comments in 6 hours would be a major distraction. Players talk about things other than cricket on the field all the time - Merv Hughes is a prime example of someone who mucked about a bit while he was playing and I don't think his focus could be questioned.