• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is cricket big in South Africa?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Autobahn said:
Meh, you can still refer to people even if you are ignoring them.
If I diidn't, I'd have nothing to say.

(some might say that I've nothing to say anyway, but they are what we call 'Kiwis')

;)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
GoT_SpIn said:
Has the introduction of the 20/20 format changed this perception or encouraged more youngsters? I heard that heaps of kids were starting to take up cricket after the ashes, but meh.
After the Ashes, it was the football season. So, as yet, there's really no concrete answer.

We do have new faces appearing at winter/pre-season net sessions - our U11 squad this season is, ridiculously, 19 boys strong. Cue the nightmare of telling kids that they're not playing. However, at the ages of 11 and 12, there's the problem of there being a 2/3 year development gap between a new kid and his prospective teammates, and it's easy for a) clubs to say "sorry, you're not good enough" or b) the new kid to get disheartened. I've made it my personal mission to keep that to an absolute minimum at Exeter this summer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Make that you're making it.
Given that so far you've made nothing as you've admitted to not starting training yet.
;)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
After the Ashes, it was the football season. So, as yet, there's really no concrete answer.

We do have new faces appearing at winter/pre-season net sessions - our U11 squad this season is, ridiculously, 19 boys strong. Cue the nightmare of telling kids that they're not playing. However, at the ages of 11 and 12, there's the problem of there being a 2/3 year development gap between a new kid and his prospective teammates, and it's easy for a) clubs to say "sorry, you're not good enough" or b) the new kid to get disheartened. I've made it my personal mission to keep that to an absolute minimum at Exeter this summer.
oh ok interesting.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
However, at the ages of 11 and 12, there's the problem of there being a 2/3 year development gap between a new kid and his prospective teammates, and it's easy for a) clubs to say "sorry, you're not good enough" or b) the new kid to get disheartened. I've made it my personal mission to keep that to an absolute minimum at Exeter this summer.
I did not start playing until 13-14 yrs of age. I worked hard and took my knocks and became a pretty damn good bowler. All the 'special' 11 or 12 yr olds never panned out to be any good and it is their own issue if new kids get fed up. A couple of months of nets and a tiny bit of talent and they can soon progress past the superstars which started at 7yrs old

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Goughy said:
A couple of months of nets and a tiny bit of talent and they can soon progress past the superstars which started at 7yrs old
That was my point. However, it's not easy for a new boy to settle in, or get any kind of coaching. Too often, they'll bat 10/11 and not field for three games, and get fed up - and who can blame them?

Advance warning - this is going to be an interesting next sentence and may not make sense.

I want kids to fail because they don't want to succeed enough, not for any other reason. I don't believe that anyone can be naturally untalented enough (case in point - self) that they can't make themselves someone who can contribute through enough effort and commitment.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
luckyeddie said:
I do - he's been on my <ignore> list a fortnight.

I still get the gist of his side, I think. For instance:

Scenario 1

Marc71178: I've seen a black cat
Richard: This user is on your ignore list

Missing post: Richard: I've seen a blacker one

Scenario 2

Sanz: I recognise Sachin as an all-time great but his powers are on the wane.
SJS: In his prime, he was worth the admission fee alone
Richard: This user is on your ignore list

Missing post: Richard: He's a better fast bowler than Harmison
:lol::lol::lol:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
I want kids to fail because they don't want to succeed enough, not for any other reason. I don't believe that anyone can be naturally untalented enough (case in point - self) that they can't make themselves someone who can contribute through enough effort and commitment.
Bah commitment and effort - over rated ;)

But seriously, i have often seen new people join my club team and because they weren't good enough never managed to play a big part. No matter how much they tried at training (which was eventually removed) they were always batting low and bowling one or two overs at maximum. However, the people who had been playing for years were always much better and had a bigger role in the game and therefore more involvmenet.

Anyway, RIP Easts junoir cricket. 9 years!

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
GoT_SpIn said:
But seriously, i have often seen new people join my club team and because they weren't good enough never managed to play a big part. No matter how much they tried at training (which was eventually removed) they were always batting low and bowling one or two overs at maximum. However, the people who had been playing for years were always much better and had a bigger role in the game and therefore more involvmenet.
That's down to poor team management, IMO.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
That's down to poor team management, IMO.
I meant that often new players no matter how hard they tried were often not good enough.

Probably better coaching would have helped

nexxus

U19 Debutant
A recent survey found that Footie was the #1 sport by far, Cricket at #2 followed with Rugby not so far behind. #4 was Hockey, but that was yonks away from the top 3.

In a wierd sort of connected way, I'm from PMB and go to Uitenhage once a year.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
There's this guy at my school who has been playing since he was 11, taking it dead seriously and turning up to every net session, but he still bowls 50% of his deliveries into the side of the net, gets bowled by more balls than he hits and lets the ball go straight through him time after time in the field. Tell me how he can make make himself useful.