• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your English Cricket Season: 2008

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Right, I've just received a phonecall asking me if I can play for SUCC 3rd XI tomorrow against Bournemouth. I accepted, obviously, but I'm now officially bricking it. Highest level I've ever played at by a seriously long way. Can't wait. :)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well I made my cricket match debut today.

Started off by being a bit late, the opposition chose to bat with a side that was made up of lots of tall, rotund fellas - compared to our side which had me and another guy who were 6 foot plus and a bit overweight, with everyone else relatively small and lithe. I kept throwing the ball short to people, which probably annoyed them. Fielding was fairly uneventful, I had a ball just fly over my head at a fairly close square leg. I misfielded once but it was quite a tough ball to field anyway, the ball drilled under my body when I was pretty close but it only cost the two runs because the outfield was in a shocking state - instead of an even covering it was clumpy which meant the ball bobbling was a common occurrence. From my perspective our bowling was fairly crap and I was slightly surprised I didn't end up bowling some overs, but the pitch wasn't doing much anyway so I wasn't too bothered. The opposition ended up with 220odd for 5 off 44.3 overs (the innings ended when someone was bowled trying to slog our wrist-spinner).

Our reply was going well, at one point we were about 80 runs behind with 12-13 overs left and 8 wickets in hand but all the while it had been spitting with rain. I was due to bat at 9 and was thinking about the very real possibility of winning, then the big partnership ended and the key batsman who'd scored a hundred departed soon after. I'd bowled to 3 of the 4 batsmen in our line at 5, 6, 7 and 8 and knew they were a bit dodgy... so now we're 4 down and have 5 & 6 in at bat and I'm fumbling around to get my pads etc. on. Number 5 who tends to play a lot of golf-swing shots in the nets gets out, no. 7 walks out and walks back in again shortly after. Now the best we can hope for is a draw (you only lose by being bowled out when you're chasing in this league) so number 8 lobs the ball straight in the air and the bowler and a close mid off converge on it, I didn't see what happened exactly but one of them took it on the second/third attempt.

So it was now my turn to bat, there were 6.5 overs to bat out and 3 wickets left. I know our number 11 is absolutely awful at batting and hates it. The number 10 is a bit of a slogger. The pitch by now is also beyond damp, it resembled wet clay in appearance and the ball is needless to say nibbling around somewhat. Their bowlers are just medium pace but that was ideal the way the pitch was playing and by now practically every fielder is close in. I play some solid defensive shots before gloving the ball down just short of slip and sprint down the other end and complete a single, then slip over (wasn't wearing spikes)... Gradually the remaining overs tick down, my partner is playing some horrible and unnecessary cross-batted shots and cross-bats a full toss, gets a top edge which skies safely to fine leg. Amidst the melee I edge a defensive push between slip and keeper for a boundary in the penultimate over, but other than a couple of grubbers manage to middle or leave everything else. My partner blocks a full toss and it's all over, we'd managed to survive 6.5 overs in prime seam bowler conditions and get a draw (and 7 bonus points to the opponents' 8). There's all the usual handshakes and I don't know exactly what score I ended on (I think it was 7*, no idea how many deliveries faced) but the main thing is we got the draw.

Edit: Makes more sense now.

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
Jungle Jumbo said:
4-12 for school today, avenged for Saturday's loss with 100 run win. Made 148-2 off 20 overs, with our opener making 76*, and then me and the other spinner took eight wickets between us.
Roll on Merchant Taylors' on Saturday.
You're in year 9?

I played a match to day and the keeper (who i know from rugby) had just played a 20-20 game for school, he kept for them.

I played for Liverpool 4ths against Northen 5s at their place today.

We batted first (in 3 years, we've bowled first a grand total of two times) and made bad work of a not too impressive bowling attack. We were 18-3 of 16 overs at one stage, though the thick grass on the outfield made scoring a problem. Batsmen number 3 and 5 put on 70 together with the number 3(also the keeper) scoring 59. I went in at, when we were 100-8 with 6 overs. I was amazed how we had hardly scored against this attack, i hit a 4 second ball and ended up with 15* which is my highest score for this side by 3 runs.

I was a lot more confident in the field as we set out to defend our low score. I wasn't opening, which i was annyoned about but thought i would be bowling inside 20 overs. As it turned out, i didn't bowl at all.

The two openers bowled in tandem for the the first 14 overs, then one went of for another pace bowler who bowled 7 overs while the other opener continued for another 7 overs. By this point, i was getting pretty ****ed off. I don't want to sound petty, but our bowlers aren't even that good and didn't look threatening at all. When i saw the opening bowler go to mid off after 30 overs, i thought i would defintely be bowling, but no, the captain decided to put a part time leg spinner who's first ball bounced 3 times on the next pitch. I was really ****ed of then.

It got worse though, i was fielding very close in, a pitch width away and 2 3rds down to our quickest bowler (great field placings skip!) when he bowled a full toss which the batsman smacked straight at me, i made an attempt to catch it but the only part of my body i got on it was my little finger.

Ouch, it was painfull, but i thought it would be ok as i got up to chase the ball, it was when i ran for the ball that i noticed my little finger of my right hand was dislocated, the bottom half pointing in a completely different direction to the top half.

Luckily on of the opposition was a doctor so i left the field and got it popped back into place, which didn't hurt as much as i thought it would. I went to the bar to get it bandaged to my ring finger then went off to the A+E at Alder Hay childrens hospital to get it x-rayed.

Luckily, there wasn't a fracture, but the doctor said it would take 3 weeks minimum to heal.

Bugger.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think I may have been demoted because I was late anyway, I'm probably a number 5 or so, but I can't really slog the ball .

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
open365 said:
It got worse though, i was fielding very close in, a pitch width away and 2 3rds down to our quickest bowler (great field placings skip!) when he bowled a full toss which the batsman smacked straight at me, i made an attempt to catch it but the only part of my body i got on it was my little finger.

Ouch, it was painfull, but i thought it would be ok as i got up to chase the ball, it was when i ran for the ball that i noticed my little finger of my right hand was dislocated, the bottom half pointing in a completely different direction to the top half.
I did that a long time ago (25 years or so) - rammed my fingers into the ground after slipping going for a return catch. You were lucky if there was no break - I got five for my trouble (only found out the next day) and the two dislocations I originally just thought I'd done.

I went off, popped the top joints of the third and fourth fingers of my right hand (the worst pain I'd felt in my life until this last year), got a wicket-keeping inner, soaked it and put it on - then went out to field again.

Did I mention I was mental?

Incidentally, did you find your bag? You said you'd lost it the other day.

open365

luckyeddie said:
I did that a long time ago (25 years or so) - rammed my fingers into the ground after slipping going for a return catch. You were lucky if there was no break - I got five for my trouble (only found out the next day) and the two dislocations I originally just thought I'd done.

I went off, popped the top joints of the third and fourth fingers of my right hand (the worst pain I'd felt in my life until this last year), got a wicket-keeping inner, soaked it and put it on - then went out to field again.

Did I mention I was mental?

Incidentally, did you find your bag? You said you'd lost it the other day.
OUCH!

Yeh, one of the PE teachers out it in the teachers lounge for some reason

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Has my first game of the season yesterday for the mighty Wilburton CC v Cottenham CC. Didn't get a bowl (which I was mildly irked about as our token Saffie went for about 40 off his 4 overs & served up 4 head-high full tosses), held one blinder (if I do say so myself) at mid-on (full length dive, one-handed, 9/10 I'd have dropped it) & the rain came (well, the drizzle turned to stair-rods) before I was due to go in in my customary no 9 postion. They finished @ 219/9 off 40, we were 81/3 off 20, so we were def the happier.

Ah, cricket, I have missed you.

The poorly photographed & extremely hairy thing is actually my right knee after a diving stop on bone hard ground. Prepared to shed blood for the cause, me! :D

Attachments

Jungle Jumbo

More wickets - 5-1-9-4 yesterday vs MTS Crosby for school, me and our other spinner bowled ten overs for 19 runs. They still posted 101 in 20 overs, and we fell eleven short. The fact we only had nine players probably didn't help.

No, Open365, I'm year 10.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
We lost by 131 runs today, on a complete minefield of a pitch. Bowling them out for 201 was about 40 more than they should have got - one of our opening bowlers dropped three catches off his own bowling. I held a difficult skier at square leg for the second wicket - only to hear the umpire call no-ball after I caught it. That can't be legal. :dry:

We were then rolled for 70, with their opening bowlers sharing eight wickets. The top order collapsed completely, at one point we were 19-4. I came in at number nine, guided one through gully for 4, then edged one over slip for 2. Just as I was starting to feel a bit more settled, I took a thumping blow to the chest from their particularly quick opening bowler, which threw me off a bit. I started backing away a little, but managed to negotiate the end of his spell. Their second change bowlers were nothing special, but one of them got one to rear off a length dramatically (due to the pitch - as I say, a total minefield, not helped by the rain halfway through their innings which we played through :blink: ) and I lobbed it off the handle to silly mid-on. I was happy with 6 (12). :)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Jungle Jumbo said:
More wickets - 5-1-9-4 yesterday vs MTS Crosby for school, me and our other spinner bowled ten overs for 19 runs. They still posted 101 in 20 overs, and we fell eleven short. The fact we only had nine players probably didn't help.

No, Open365, I'm year 10.
Great job George, once again. :)

Chubb

International Regular
I was bowled off the second ball of the match for Hutton yesterday. Basically, I tried to push a ball into the offside, inside edged it into my front pad, whereupon the ball deflected onto my back pad and then rolled onto the stumps. I couldn't believe it. Awful luck! I ought to own up that the bowler was a girl as well. However, that would imply I think being bowled by a girl is something shameful, which is not something I have ever believed. I would say every female cricketer I have played against has been better than me. If she's better than you, she deserved to win the contest.
Hutton V's home pitch is a disgrace. Because "our" home pitch, the Polo Fields (one of the nicest grounds in Essex IMO) has two pitches, "we" play at Hartswood, a big public park in Brentwood. The cricket strip is an artificial mat, and it is situated between two rugby pitches, which had recently been aerated with holes, but not reseeded by the council, so the outfield is basically a muddy patch with a load of tiny holes, which threaten to do someone a serious injury. The rain held off for our innings, but came *******ing down at the start of theirs. There was no way we could play on.

Hutton Vs 129a/o (Chubb 0)
Hornchurch Vs 40-2 (10 overs) match abandoned.

Back in Devon, both Upottery Is and IIs lost their first league matches of the season. I want to get back down there, but the way I'm playing at the moment it probably won't make much difference.

Last edited:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Yesterday first U18 game of the season.
we won the toss and batted first.
I was opening :O wasnt to amused that I had too.
first run was a lucky shot, dropped (A)
then got on nicely with a ondrive for 4, a cut for 3 and we made a 35 partnership.
I got out and 4 balls and 1 run(wides) later we were 36/3 hmm not to good.
our kiwi was still in and batted well a 80summat partnership later we were 120/4 very nice.
no 5 got out and made 13(just like i did btw)
new stani guy came in and although his technique isnt the best, he stands still and hit the ball well. he to made 13. in a nice partnership. our Kiwi got out and scored 70 in the end.
we stranded on 190ao in 39.4 overs not to bad on a huge field
oke so we went bowling. after 7 overs they were 60/2 :/ and I dropped a dolly(sucks)
skip told me to come over, so we had a chat. rr has to go down, no bowlers who could do it atm. you do it Taz he said..hmm oke....spinner on. skip dropped a catch of my bowling, then mid off took a catch, thanks god. a wicket. bowled my armball, edged, dropped by the keeper, hard chance. when I was done they were 100 and something /4 after 23 with 17 overs to go they had to make 91 runs to win. it became a bit less..I took a catch fielded well. eventually they had to make 10 runs in 4 overs with 3 wickets in hand.
our kiwi stopped keeping and came on to bowl. took a caught and bowled /8. few balls later they played the ball to me and square leg, and set off for a run, I picked up the ball, steadied myself, WHAM direct hit :D and out /9 !! now we had to tighten it up. next overs (39th) they came 2 short of the total. Kiwi to bowl the last over.
and he bowled a maiden! team was overjoyed! we went a division up and won off the team that just relegated from the top poul! bring on poul B !!!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
open365 said:
Nice work George, and unlucky Chubb, hey, at least it wasn't a first baller.
No, that honour was reserved for me. I recorded my first primary of the season with a delicate paddle sweep directly to fine leg. Was attempting to flick it for a single to give the number five batsman (56*) the strike. Have now resolved to either blog or slog, as mid-range shots don't work.

Exeter University IV were all out for 167 in 38.1 overs. Thorverton were looking well placed for a decent run-chase at 29-0 after seven, but very soon afterwards they were 35-9 and 41 all out [15.5]. I was going to bowl the 17th...

chris.hinton

International Captain
I played yesturday for Erdington Court 3rd xi vs Ambleside 3rds at home on a ground which was a park.... the pitch was pooor to bat on and the outfield was very slow and only 2 4s where scored all match......... we lost though by 2 wickets i bowled 10 overs for 25 and got a wicket a caught and bowled :). but i got a duck :@ we got 121 all out they got them with 10 overs to spare

Sundays match we where going to play Four oaks but it was called out about 45 mins before the match.... and it was dry in the afternoon

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This evening I wandered up to the County Ground for 6.00 to do an hour's coaching with the Exeter CC Colts "Foundation Group" - i.e. late starters (Ashes effect) who need a concerted shove in the right direction.

When I arrived, I found out our Midweek XI had seven players for their game with Bradninch and if I could stick around post-coaching to field, that'd be much appreciated. Anyhow, post-coaching, our midweek VII had made 121-3, and the eight men (five first teamers including Mark Sanders and Will Hanson, two second teamers and me) had twenty overs to defend it.

It didn't help that Bradninch's batting order - like it had been a week and a half ago when the University 4ths visited their place - was left/right/left, and the fact that the County Ground is the third biggest playing surface in the country (after the County Ground, Derby and The Oval) also made the fielding pretty frenetic. Nevertheless, Bradninch were all out for 116 in 19.4 overs, and my fielding was error-free. I even managed a throw from the boundary on the bounce to the keeper, and I have the arm of a ten year old... A general feeling of satisfaction is persisting as, seeing as I was wearing navy blue trousers, I was thoroughly expecting to be targeted in the field... and I wasn't. So I must have got on alright.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
The poorly photographed & extremely hairy thing is actually my right knee after a diving stop on bone hard ground. Prepared to shed blood for the cause, me! :D
'Tis but a scratch, you soft southern ****. :p

Chubb

International Regular
Today I played for the UEA IIs team against De Montfort University Leicester in the picturesque surroundings of Market Bosworth. A canalside ground in a beautiful old market town. But the scenery was as good as it got.

We were bowled out for 85. Eighty-five. It was abject, dismal, ridiculous. I got a golden duck. On my debut, a golden duck. I played forward to my first ball and pushed it straight at silly mid off. That might be my only innings for the UEA, ever, my only chance to score some runs, and it was over like that. To quote Ed Smith, this cannot be it, this cannot be it, this simply cannot be it! So disappointing.

We lost by seven wickets. But I just have to look at this, and hope next time, if there is a next time, will be different.

Last edited: