• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fleming to play for another 3-4 years

James

Cricket Web Owner
Most Kiwi fans I would say expected him to retire from all cricket after the 2007 World Cup.

He's got a family now, and with the building they've been doing with Vettori's captaincy over the summer, I thought they might have decided to build towards the 2011 WC after next years World Cup with Vettori as captain.

Blaze

Banned
Fleming will go out on his own terms. I would be surprised to see him still playing ODI's in 4 years, but could definetly still see him playing Tests.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Blaze said:
Fleming will go out on his own terms. I would be surprised to see him still playing ODI's in 4 years, but could definetly still see him playing Tests.
Fleming could play until he was 50 with the amount of Test cricket that we play. :mellow:

Sportsgirl

School Boy/Girl Captain
Damn I was hoping he'll retire after the WC because he shouldn't be in the team in my opinion now anyhow. Dan should be the captain.

Blaze

Banned
Sportsgirl said:
Damn I was hoping he'll retire after the WC because he shouldn't be in the team in my opinion now anyhow. Dan should be the captain.
You don't think Fleming should be in either of the Test or ODI teams?

There is no way that Fleming will ever be dropped from the Test side. I think you could make a case for him to be dropped from the ODI side (he would still be in both my sides) BUT there is no way he should lose his Test place.

Who would you replace him with?

Ming

State 12th Man
James said:
Most Kiwi fans I would say expected him to retire from all cricket after the 2007 World Cup..
Not me.

That article featured a quote from Fleming something along the lines that he enjoys batting at 4 where he can play with more freedom than trying to wear out the new ball as an opener. He's been a free-flowing batsman at 4 lately, and I wouldn't mind seeing him transfer that into the ODI arena where he would be an asset in the middle of the innings.

thierry henry

International Coach
Why would he retire. He is only just 33 and we play very little test cricket compared to some other nations, so I always expected him to hang around until his mid-late 30s.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've always liked Fleming, so this is good news for NZ cricket and all cricket fans.

Question is, will he have the captaincy the whole time?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With this news i'm positive Flem will overtake M Waugh's test catching record

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Good to see fleming's idea of staying for the next 3-4 years..
good on him..
besides i never expected him to rertire anytime soon..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
I've always liked Fleming, so this is good news for NZ cricket and all cricket fans.

Question is, will he have the captaincy the whole time?
Well IMO it'd make no sense to have someone else captain instead of him.