• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shahid Afridi "retires from Test cricket"

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
You were talking about them?
You seemed to me to be responding to the (sarcastic) post by dontcloseyoureyes where he said "gotta love a good Indian", ie "isn't it stupid having all these biased Indians".
Clearly there was no reference to Dasa, hbh, Jono, SJS, adharcric, etc.
So "fortunately we have a lot of lot of them (good Indian posters) on here" actually means that I'm glad we have the odd terrace element then does it?

Just because I was replying to a sarcastic message doesn't mean that I was using sarcasm - as shown by the number of times you respond to a joke comment in complete seriousness - I was merely emphasising that it's a shame that we have the idiots who give the very readable posters a bad name.

Craig

World Traveller
What-A-Player said:
Its not about this age, it probably has something to do with being dropped in the last game
What a baby if that is the case.

If he was a footballer he would fit in well at Real Madrid...

Craig

World Traveller
vic_orthdox said:
Those scans and stuff I think in the end just give a range of ages you'd be. A few guys from each side at the U/19 WC had to take them, and the results came back saying "You are between 17 and 21 years old" and stuff like that.
Random testing?

open365

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Err, so do Adam Gilchrist, Sanath Jayasuriya, Sourav Ganguly, Marcus Trescothick and about a million others at the current time. Almost all batsmen at the current time are strokeplayers.
But few if any play as many utterly stupid strokes as Afridi. About the only one who comes close is Mohammad Ashraful.
That's the way he plays, get used to it.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Tha is honestly one of the best ieces of good news i have had this year. Don't like seeing opposition players injured, but when they opt out, its fine by me. Saves us alot of heartache this summer

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
So "fortunately we have a lot of lot of them (good Indian posters) on here" actually means that I'm glad we have the odd terrace element then does it?

Just because I was replying to a sarcastic message doesn't mean that I was using sarcasm - as shown by the number of times you respond to a joke comment in complete seriousness - I was merely emphasising that it's a shame that we have the idiots who give the very readable posters a bad name.
Almost invariably when I reply to a joke-comment in apparent seriousness I'm not actually being so.
Mostly I'm just either "calling the double-bluff" as someone put it, or realising that the joke-comment had something behind it and responding to that something.
I think you could have done more to emphasise that you were being sarcastic to the sarcasm rather than assending it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpeedKing said:
Tha is honestly one of the best ieces of good news i have had this year. Don't like seeing opposition players injured, but when they opt out, its fine by me. Saves us alot of heartache this summer
Well... or it could save us from facing a walking wicket.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Well... or it could save us from facing a walking wicket.
His some walking wicket, career average high 30s, two tons in his last five test matches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Against... the mighty Indians.
Forgive me - I'd back Hoggard, Flintoff and Jones if he plays against Afridi every single time.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Being dropped at least twice.
I might remind you, the conditions were not comparable.
For sure the pitch was pretty good to bat on but let's be sensible Richard, Afridi is not a walking wicket. You do not have an average 38 if you are a walking wicket, his not Chris Martin.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Conditions comparable to what?

You said "I'd back Hoggard, Flintoff and Jones if he plays against Afridi every single time."

Now either you should retract that statement, or edit it to "when the conditions aren't batsman friendly" because Afridi smashed all English bowlers to all corners of the ground that day.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I say - only with at least 2 dropped catches.
Maybe I should have said "with decent catching" but you really should know by now - I expect catches to be taken.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TT Boy said:
For sure the pitch was pretty good to bat on but let's be sensible Richard, Afridi is not a walking wicket. You do not have an average 38 if you are a walking wicket, his not Chris Martin.
As I've said about Afridi before - usually it takes just 2 or 3 bad innings (sometimes even less) for him to be dropped. This means that, when he goes into a (frequent) bad trott, it doesn't adversely affect his average.
And like everyone, when he plays well he cashes-in.