• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shahid Afridi "retires from Test cricket"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
It's a perfectly logical move - he's moving into wider areas, doing a Darren Gough and entering this year's 'Strictly Come Dancing'.

Oh, sorry. That was Faisalabad.
I've not yet heard of strictly-come-pitch-doctoring...

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
Richard said:
Some would question whether Afridi really is 26, same way some would question Raza's age and countless others.
I wonder... are both pushing 30?
One of those "some" happen to be ex boss of PCB ,Majid Khan, who was proven wrong when Hasan Raza underwent bone scan test to prove that he was actually 14 yr age at that time.

As far as Afridi is concerned, he is around 3 yrs older than his declared age.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Obviously something more to that, and if I was Pakistani fan I'd be pretty damn peed off. The excuse of concentrating for the World Cup is one of the stupidest ones I've ever heard.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
This is going to be a bad chapter in Pakistan cricket and is going to hit them hard.A strong and fit guy like Afridi (whether he's 26 or 29 he's still very young) doesn't need to skip test matches at such an age, its obvious that he isn't happy with certain things and has decided to protest. I guess it has something to do with Afridi being dropped in the last test match against Lanka.I think Afridi's retirement is going to affect "team spirit and unity" adversely and we will see formation of groups in Pak team once again.Players that are close to Afridi and have sympathy with him might even revolt against Inzamam, and the situation might get very ugly.
We will get a better picture of Pak team when they tour England, where i believe a disjointed Pakistan team will get a thrashing and with that will come the end of Inzi's "lucky wins sequence".A disasterous tour of England and a similar one to that of SA will put Pak cricket ten steps backwards, and i think Pak team will be at its lowest ebb in the WC '07 (just like in the 03 WC)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
PakPowered said:
One of those "some" happen to be ex boss of PCB ,Majid Khan, who was proven wrong when Hasan Raza underwent bone scan test to prove that he was actually 14 yr age at that time.

Those scans and stuff I think in the end just give a range of ages you'd be. A few guys from each side at the U/19 WC had to take them, and the results came back saying "You are between 17 and 21 years old" and stuff like that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Personally, I think that when he comes back, this little hiatus may well make him a better Test player. He may well appreciate it a bit more, and remain in, as SJS put it, "mad slogging mode" rather than "completely ****oo sloggin mode" more often than not.

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Afridi's loss to Pakistan team would be great, who is now going to tamper pitches for Pakistan in test matches ??

Bob can't do it as he was caught last time around doing the naughty work when Afridi was playing in the match!! I guess Pakistan will have to groom a youngster for the "belly dance".

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
RolledOver said:
Afridi's loss to Pakistan team would be great, who is now going to tamper pitches for Pakistan in test matches ??

Bob can't do it as he was caught last time around doing the naughty work when Afridi was playing in the match!! I guess Pakistan will have to groom a youngster for the "belly dance".
Hahahaha gotta love a good Indian.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
PakPowered said:

How do you 'age' a cricketer, bone scan or no?

Is it like trees (Cut his head off and count the rings)?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
luckyeddie said:

There's no need to cut of Shahid's head. You just look down his neck soonafter he's gone out.

adharcric

International Coach
Well this paves the way for Younis Khan to be appointed Test captain if necessary. No more disrespectful Afridi in the side.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
luckyeddie said:

Thats something that was probably in stone age, thanks to modern medical science we don't have to do that now.

The purpose of scan is to determine the bone mineral density, which is different at different age.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I must admit I'm a little disappointed that I won't get to see him play this summer now

Xuhaib

International Coach
Thats the strangest news i have heard in a while.I am sure there is something more to it.

Xuhaib

International Coach
adharcric said:
This is the problem with Pakistan these days. Too many of their best players lack focus and commitment.
Still they end up winning test matches left-right and center:) .

quick4mindia

School Boy/Girl Captain
his announcement has come with a rider. (he can consider a come back after the world cup) LOL:laugh:
such things have happened so many times in pakistani cricket that i dont believe they have actually retired unless i see them doing commentary with gavaskar and ravi shastry:laugh:

Xuhaib

International Coach
IndianByHeart said:
This is going to be a bad chapter in Pakistan cricket and is going to hit them hard.A strong and fit guy like Afridi (whether he's 26 or 29 he's still very young) doesn't need to skip test matches at such an age, its obvious that he isn't happy with certain things and has decided to protest. I guess it has something to do with Afridi being dropped in the last test match against Lanka.I think Afridi's retirement is going to affect "team spirit and unity" adversely and we will see formation of groups in Pak team once again.Players that are close to Afridi and have sympathy with him might even revolt against Inzamam, and the situation might get very ugly.
We will get a better picture of Pak team when they tour England, where i believe a disjointed Pakistan team will get a thrashing and with that will come the end of Inzi's "lucky wins sequence".A disasterous tour of England and a similar one to that of SA will put Pak cricket ten steps backwards, and i think Pak team will be at its lowest ebb in the WC '07 (just like in the 03 WC)
HAHAHA.....These trollish posts are quite a fun read.