• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shahid Afridi "retires from Test cricket"

Fusion

Global Moderator
TT Boy said:
Are there?
well I'm never going to be able to prove this, so I might as well drop the subject. However, I know a few people close to him that say he's not 26. I think 28 may be more like it. But again, there's no way for me to provide concrete proof so please ignore my comments on this!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Beleg said:
Eh, I am pretty sure he'll back after the world cup, at the latest.
And I think he will be back before the world cup. ;);)

Anyways, I think there is more to this story then him 'concentrating on the WC 2007'.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Fusion said:
well I'm never going to be able to prove this, so I might as well drop the subject. However, I know a few people close to him that say he's not 26. I think 28 may be more like it. But again, there's no way for me to provide concrete proof so please ignore my comments on this!

Even if he were 28 years old, my comments would still stand.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
And I think he will be back before the world cup. ;);)

Anyways, I think there is more to this story then him 'concentrating on the WC 2007'.

Exactly. A twenty-six (or twenty-eight) year old just doesn't decide to stop playing one form of the game while playing another.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a perfectly logical move - he's moving into wider areas, doing a Darren Gough and entering this year's 'Strictly Come Dancing'.

Oh, sorry. That was Faisalabad.

Fusion

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Exactly. A twenty-six (or twenty-eight) year old just doesn't decide to stop playing one form of the game while playing another.
I agree. I think there's more to this story.

What-A-Player

School Boy/Girl Captain
Jungle Jumbo said:
Sounds like something really dodgy going on at the PCB. Has someone upset him?

..has to be for sure

I mean the guy was out of the team for so long, came back strongly and made a name for him all over again. He relishes on all types of bowling, batted brutally in the recent tests, gets more sponsors and fans, loud mouth in the team, sledges well and NOW - suddenly he decides to take a break? from TESTS - afterall

There is something more than fishy and surely has to be in connection with the last game

Fusion

Global Moderator
Well the following paragraphs from the cricinfo report are interesting read:

Typically, given the situation, there has been speculation that he had taken the decision after having been dropped from the last Test against Sri Lanka in Kandy, a Test Pakistan ultimately won. One senior journalist told Cricinfo that Afridi had been angry with the team management over his axing and decided, in the heat of the moment, to `retire.' Television commentators had also expressed considerable surprise over the decision and given how valuable a Test player he had been since his recall, the reaction wasn't a surprise. Afridi though was quick to deny this: "No, absolutely not. There was no pressure, no spat. It is just too much cricket and that is it. It is not a permanent thing anyway." Afridi earlier told a local television channel that he hadn't yet informed the PCB of his decision although he had discussed it with Inzamam-ul-Haq, who told him he would respect any decision taken.

The format he has chosen to take retirement from is particularly surprising given that in the last year, Afridi has become one of Pakistan's most valuable Test players. In fact, since his recall to the Test squad in January last year against Australia, in ten Tests, he has averaged 47.44 with four hundreds and three fifties. Some of his innings, such as the 58 against India in Bangalore last March, have changed the course of the Test and with 23 wickets, he finally appeared settled in the Test side. In contrast, in 43 ODIs since Bob Woolmer's arrival as coach - when Afridi was recalled to the ODI side - he averages just under 23 with the bat, with only three fifties. His solitary century of course was the 45-ball special against India. But with the ball he has been a revelation and his bag of leggies, offies, wrong `uns and quicker ones has resulted in 51 wickets.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
If Afridi has fell out with PCB or the Pakistani coaching team, why wouldn’t he just retire from all international cricket, the same people will be around when you play one day cricket.

Also he wants to spend more time with his family, so why is he coming over to play for Ireland in the C&G trophy?

Bouncer

State Regular
All this makes Afridi a Nominee of CW's Inzi Award aka he does not know what he is talking about...lol:laugh:

anyway this has to be one of the most surprising cricketing story in world cricket,

somehow there have been always people like him in Pakistan team who do not like the authority and want to be treated special, Yeah he had a great year in test matches both with ball and bat, but in 2nd SL test, he was dropped coz Pak needed to play an extra seemer, baced on experience of the last two test matches Pak played at Galle(1994, and 2000) in SL u have to get other team out the win a test match and thats why a seemer was better choice than a leggie+ plus the face that Faisal scored some runs in first test, so he had to be played to have a stronger middle order with a regular batsman....all that got MR SPECIAL feel like that he is being ignored and HOW DARE a THE TEAM :unsure: drop him him, WHy was someone LIKE HIM, MR SUPERSTAR not given priority to the TEAM PAKISTAN.8-)

adharcric

International Coach
This is the problem with Pakistan these days. Too many of their best players lack focus and commitment.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Um, why would you retire from test cricket at the age of 26?
He hasnt retired.

In effect what he is saying is " I wont play any test matches till the end of the WC 2007."

He seems to have trouble changing from the mad-slogging mode to completely-****oo-slogging mode it would seem. :dry:

Possible for such a cereberal guy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
Seriously unexpected news. Especially given that he's just starting to become a real force in Tests! :wacko: :blink:

Mind you, it's good for England. :D
It is - now we won't see him hitting the ball up in the air for single-figure scores in 1 or maybe 2 Tests and getting rapidly dropped as has happened several times before.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
silentstriker said:
Um, why would you retire from test cricket at the age of 26?
Some would question whether Afridi really is 26, same way some would question Raza's age and countless others.
I wonder... are both pushing 30?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
It is - now we won't see him hitting the ball up in the air for single-figure scores in 1 or maybe 2 Tests and getting rapidly dropped as has happened several times before.
:)