• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***The Durham CCC 2006 Season Thread***

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Jamee999 said:
All better than your new overseas player!
Gibson will do well this season. Im sure of it. He was in good form last season and Im sure he will proove a threat to most teams.

Fully, what do you make of Harmison? More than just a good prospect?
Not yet. He is a cracking player and if he is brought into the side at any time during the season I would have faith he will perform and proove himself at the top level. But up to this point he is only a "prospect". He has always impressed as a Batsmen at whatever level he has played at but without a run at the top level its hard to tell how he will do. Against good bowling when others in the team have stuggled he has been the one to shine and the scorecards for the 'A' side last year are dominated by him outscoring everyone else with ease. His bowling has came on leaps and bounds and when I saw him bowl yesterday I was suprised how darn good he looked.

Regardless, its a big season for Harmison and if he continues to progress and prooves himself at the highest level of County Cricket, if given the chance, he may go all the way to the top for Durham and England.

I would give him the nod against Kent in the opener to be honest. Im not sure how the team will shape up but putting Ben in there at number 4 or 5 or even lower down the order to give some batting depth would be my choice. After all, what is the point of spending the season wondering if he is going to make it, wondering if he will live up to the potential. I say get him in that team next week and see how he does. If he bats poorly and is only in the lower orders then its worth the risk. If he bowls badly in his overs simply stop using him in the match. He has to be put in there at some point this season and why not make it the first game. Especially if Kent aren't expecting him

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
A good start is vital and Im just worried we aren't going to get one.

Kent away is a tough game and then Lancs at home,who I feel will challenege for the the title, give us two very hard matches to open the season. The reason we got promoted last year was due to four straight wins at the start of the season last year and that set us up nicely for the whole CC and basically from that point on we got into a winning stride and raised our game.

We need the likes of Pratt and Mustard to get runs on a consistent basis as we cannot rely on Benkenstien and Maher all season. A good batting display will be vital down in Kent this week and Id give anything for a good start to the season

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Davies has been ruled out for tomorrow. He didn't seem himself in the warm-ups so he must still be suffering from that back injury. Gibson and Lewis should lead the attack and I really want to see Onions given the nod has since he came back from India he has looked superb

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
I would be more than happy to come away with a draw and a few batting/bowling points

Jimmy Maher
Jon Lewis
Gordon Muchall
Gary Pratt
Dale Benkenstein - Captain
Gareth Breese
Philip Mustard - Wicket Keeper
Ottis Gibson
Graham Onions
Mick Lewis
Neil Killeen

Thats the team I would go for tomorrow. Add Bridge and Thorp and thats the sqaud that has been announced

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
I said that I though Lancs would beat Hampshire.....but I never expected such a quick haul of wickets in the limited amout of play we have had today. Young Smith is on fire
13-4-29-3

139/7

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
DanielFullard said:
I would be more than happy to come away with a draw and a few batting/bowling points

Jimmy Maher
Jon Lewis
Gordon Muchall
Gary Pratt
Dale Benkenstein - Captain
Gareth Breese
Philip Mustard - Wicket Keeper
Ottis Gibson
Graham Onions
Mick Lewis
Neil Killeen

Thats the team I would go for tomorrow. Add Bridge and Thorp and thats the sqaud that has been announced
Look at all those horrible none-English players. Hoping Muchall goes well in the Championship this season, but the side looks to ordinary to avoid the drop.

TheEpic

School Boy/Girl Captain
Is there any real need for this to have its own thread when there is a discussion for this very subject only a couple of inches down the page?

Durham are no more important than the other county sides.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jungle Jumbo said:
Look at all those horrible none-English players. Hoping Muchall goes well in the Championship this season, but the side looks to ordinary to avoid the drop.
Mustard is English.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
TheEpic said:
Is there any real need for this to have its own thread when there is a discussion for this very subject only a couple of inches down the page?

Durham are no more important than the other county sides.
I didn't say they were. I just thought it would be a good thread to discuss the team.

but to be honest Im thinking about giving it up and sticking to the Domestic thread