Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Cricket Web Feature In the Works...

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    I'll put up some my Sri Lankan ones. For me the most memorable Tests are not the best finishes, but the ones that defined us as Test playing nation. At the end of the day we have only been playing Tests for 25 plus years, so we really still fairly new.

Sri Lanka v India, 1985, 2nd Test
    Our first Test Victory

New Zealand v Sri Lanka, 1994/95, 1st Test @ McLean Park, Napier
    Our 1st Overseas Test Victory
    - The Chaminda Vaas show - he became the first Sri Lanka to take a 10-fer in Test Cricket., Murali also took a 5-fer in this game. It was a defining moment for both these players and Lankan Cricket. IMO during these five days we went from being minnows to a real test class standard side.

Sri Lanka v India, 1997, 1st Test @ RPS, Khettarama, Colombo
    The World Record
    - Not the greatest Test Match ever, but a defining moment in for us in Test Cricket. From this match on wards we started converting our ODI form into Test cricket. We really became a force at home in Test Cricket from this day on wards.

Only Test, England v Sri Lanka @ Kennington Oval, London
    Murali's Match
    - A great game for Murali, probably his best ever, but it was a major game for his career. IMO from this Test Match he went from being a good Test bowler, to a great Test bowler. Also for a national prespective we finally beat England at home.

Australia in Sri Lanka, 1999, 1st Test @ Asgiriya Stadium, Kandy
    Beating the World Champions
    - Some may say this was a undeserved victory with Gillespie and Waugh injuries playing a major part. But we did dominate the Aussie prior to the injury and continued on afterwards. This victory should have shown us that we can beat any country in world, but ended up just being the peak of our best period in Test Cricket, where we were basically unbeatable at home.

ODI will come later, but a expect a Jayasuriya show.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    ODI will come later, but a expect a Jayasuriya show.
    My fav. Lankan ODIs will have Aravinda DeSilva as the main lead and Sanath in the best spoorting act.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    My fav. Lankan ODIs will have Aravinda DeSilva as the main lead and Sanath in the best spoorting act.
    i.e the 1996 World Cup Final, my fav too.

Great list of ODIs Sanz. Interesting that you chose the desert storm match where Sachin's 143 didn't actually win the game for India, but allowed them to qualify for the final ahead of NZ due to run rate. The next match of course he scored another century, this time a match-winning 134 and India won the Coca Cola Cup.

I think its a good choice, because whilst both were terrific knocks, the 143 turned the face of the tournament, whereas the 134 in the next game was just a continuation of it
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Thanks Jono. You are right about the 134 at any other time would have been a great knock but it was not after what we watched a day earlier. I have no doubt in my mind that had Sachin stayed on(He was given out caught behind on a shoulder high ball i,e, Noball) , India would have won the game. Sachin's partnership with Laxman was 104 runs, out of which Lax scored only 20.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    i.e the 1996 World Cup Final, my fav too.
    Dont Forget the Semis, SL were 2 wickets down for a total of 1, Aravinda's count attack put India on defensive, SL went on to score 250+ . Stupid fans ruined a good match.

Didn't Sri Lanka declare in that world record Test because the scoreboard couldn't go to 1000?

It would have been funny had they got 996 and then a four was hit. What would they have done?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

School Boy/Girl Captain quick4mindia's Avatar
    ODIs(In No Particular Order) :-

India Vs. West Indies, 1983 WC Finals It may not be a great match for sheer performance, but this was a match that brought India her greatest glory and more importantly announced India's arrival as an ODI team. This match also ended WI's reign over the world cups and arguebly was the beginning of the Great WI decline. This one match made en entire generation of Indian cricket fans believe that they can indeed be the world champs and compete with the best of the best.

India Vs. SA, 1993 Hero Cup Semi Finals This was the game that made Tendulkar household name, ironically though, not for his batting but for the inspired last over bowling where he reportedly snatched the ball out of legendry allrounder KapliDev's hand. SA needed 6 runs off the last over with Brian Mcmilland and De Villiers at the crease, Sachin's last over resulted in 3 runs and a runout, India won by 2 runs. This one match made Tendulkar hugely popular (at least in my little town) and IMO changed his life as a cricketer.

India Vs. Pak 1996 WC Quarter Finals This was a revenge match for Indians and our way of honoring Javed Miandad for the 6 he hit on a friday in 1986 and put an entire nation in depression for a decade. This match brought our self belief back that we could indeed compete with Pakistan and win against them. India batted first and was on its way for a decent total until Ajay Jadeja decide to go berserk, he hit Waqar 3 fours in a row and then a 6 to collect 24 runs in his 9th over. Thanks to him India made 287 in 50 overs with last 8 overs yielding 87 runs. Pakistan started the chase well with Sohail/Anwar making 83 runs in 10 overs and then something hit Sohail and he decided to sledge Prasad after hitting him for a four. Prasad had the last laugh when he bowled Sohail on the next ball. India won the game, This was Javed Miandad's last ODI.

India Vs. Aus 1998 Sharjah - The Desert Storm Sharjah Stadium was hit by two storms on that eventful day, First storm was caused by mother nature, second storm was cause by a little man named Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. After the sand Storm hit, India were set a revised target of 134 in 15 overs to qualify for the finals. Sachin took charge like never before, during the storm he didn't return to the pavillion and instead waited on the ground with his helmet on. When the match restarted Aussie bowlers couldn't stop him, India made 134 in 12 overs, SRT ended up with 143 runs in 134 balls, 9 4s and 5 6s. India ended up losing the match, but so much was the effect of Sachin's assault that in the finals Aussie bowlers couldn't do much against him. A truly special match sole because of one of the greatest ODI inning by an INDIAN.

India Vs. England Lords - NatWest Finals England put up 325 runs on board thanks to the two centurions Tresco and Nasser, India started off well with Sourav and Sehwag hammering 100 runs in 14 overs and then England's lesser known bowler Irani, Tudor and their best spinner in Giles shared 5 Indian wickets amongs themselves for 40 runs in 10 overs. From 106/0 in 14.3 India were reduced to 146/5 in 24 overs with all the big names back into the pavillion and most fans leaving the stadiums and Tv sets. Those who stayed watched a new generation of Indian cricketers taking India to an almost impossible target and giving India one of its finest wins in years. Md. Kaif and Yuvraj Singh shared a 120 run partnership in 17 overs, Yuvraj got out when India still needed 60 runs to win the game, but Kaif made sure that India didn't lose from there and finished with 87 not out in 75 balls.

I wanted to do this for tests as well, but I dont think I have watched enough tests in last 30 years to pick top five and hence I will leave it other Indian members to pick the list of 5 best Test matchs and tell us why those tests are great. From what I have watched, I consider following as 5 best Test matches India have played in last 30 years :-

1. India Vs. Australia 1986 Tied Test, Madras.
    2. India Vs. Pakistan 1987 , Banglore , Gavaskar's last Test.
    3. India Vs. Pakistan 1998, Chennai
    4. India Vs. Australia 2001, Kolkata
    5. India Vs. England 2002, Headingley

Here i would like to add one match in karachi where indian offie Rajesh Chauhan hit pakistan Offie Saqlain for a six to seal the match. the difference was he did it on the 2nd last ball of the match when india needed 5 to win.
    this was more apt reply to Javed Miyandad's famous/infamous sixer of the last ball.

one more game that comes to mind was bet india and srilanka when just after winning the WC they were on a rampage. india batted first and made some 180. srilanka started their chase and were something 80/0 in 7 overs when rain interrupted play. i switched off the TV set knowing the eventual. but after the rains stopped Srinath broke the srilankan line up
    india won by a healthy 20 run margin. match was played perhaps in malaysia

And how can you forget the 315 run chase in Dhaka against pakistan. Saurav was in top form then
    Kapils 175* at tunbridge wells may be remembered as an individual brilliance to set india on course to win the w/C
    in famous debacles india's loss against zimbabwe when 4 wickets fell in the last over when india needed three to win. (i smell rat here)
    and Douglas Marillier's heroics shall also be remembered more for his unique batting style
    in famous losses also comes to mind the finals against SA at Durban 1997 when india reached so close and then choked when victory was so close.
    Tendulkar was playing like God then
    the list can only grow long
    Ishant the poster boy of Indian cricket

Quicky, I havn't forgotten any of those, it's just that they dont make my top 5 list. If you think those are your top 5 ODIs then please post them with links, this is what the thread is all about.

Quicky, I havn't forgotten any of those, it's just that they dont make my top 5 list. If you think those are your top 5 ODIs then please post them with links, this is what the thread is all about.
    Yes you are right

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Didn't Sri Lanka declare in that world record Test because the scoreboard couldn't go to 1000?

It would have been funny had they got 996 and then a four was hit. What would they have done?
    I'd guess it would have involved either paint or cardboard.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Craig

they would have started a recount of the score

My 5 Greatest Aussie Tests (as they happened)

1882 Aust bowl England out chasing just 85 for victory and at one stage being 2/51. Spoffoth claims 14 wickets. A mock obituary appeared in the Sporting Times, and the greatest sporting rivalry was born. The Ashes.

1902 4th Test Aust. defeat England by 3 runs, one of the most enthralling Tests in cricket history. The England side is this series is still considered by some as the greatest ever England combination. England at one stage are 4/97 chasing 124 for victory. Victor Trumper becomes the first batsman to score a century before lunch on the opening day of a Test match. Still only one of four players to have performed this feat.

1949/50 3rd Test Aust. defeat South Africa after being bowled out for 75 in reply to the SA first innings of 311. On a terrible pitch the Aussie bowlers try not to dismiss the SA batsman in their 2nd innings. The SAs had decided not to enforce the follow on, once they realised the Aussie ruse the SA hit out and were dismissed for just 99. On a still shocking pitch Neil Harvey played one of the great Test innings 151* to lead Aust to a 5 wicket victory.

1960/61 1st Test Aust V West Indies. The first Tie in Test history including a great 100 by Sobers where he smashed Richie Benaud to all parts of the ground. and some great fielding by Joey Solomon where he twiced hit the one stump he had to aim at for two run outs of the last two wickets to fall. Jack Fingleton is inspired to write a book of this one Test called 'The Greatest Test of All'

1986/87 1st Test Aust V India the 2nd tie in Test history, this game included one of the great 100s when Dean Jones spent days in hospital after a great 210, Border had said to him if you want to go off thats fine. I'll get a Queenslander out here (words to that effect) Greg Matthews claimed 10 wickets and the biggest surprise according the Aust. players was that the Indian umpire gave the last player out LBW
    You know it makes sense.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information