• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chanderpaul Resigns as Captain

adharcric

International Coach
West Indies skipper Shivnarine Chanderpaul has resigned from captaincy, citing a need to focus on his batting.

Who's next?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Liam will be happy. Doesn't look as though there's a ready made replacement though. Gotta hope that Ramnaresh's batting improves with the burden of captaincy? :ph34r:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:cry:

Thank God. He may have just saved his career. It's just about a year later than the ideal.
The new captain may well be (dare I say) Daren Ganga. *hides*

James

Cricket Web Owner
Good move by Chanderpaul.

I would personally give Lara the ODI captaincy leading into World Cup year, and Ramdin the test captaincy.

LIam, I presume you're planning on updating on this on the frontpage ;)

Autobahn

State 12th Man
James said:

I would personally give Lara the ODI captaincy leading into World Cup year, and Ramdin the test captaincy.

Hasn't Lara said he wants to cut back on his ODI career but is still intrested in the world cup?

Sounds like he wanted to considered just for the world cup.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Autobahn said:
Hasn't Lara said he wants to cut back on his ODI career but is still intrested in the world cup?

Sounds like he wanted to considered just for the world cup.
Oh really, I thought I heard Lara say in New Zealand that he would play the ODIs against Zimbabwe.

Perhaps I heard wrong. Liam?

Mr Mxyzptlk

James said:
Ramdin needs to sort himself out first. He totally fell apart in New Zealand.
James said:
When I'm done watching TV. :p

Mr Mxyzptlk

James said:
Oh really, I thought I heard Lara say in New Zealand that he would play the ODIs against Zimbabwe.

Perhaps I heard wrong. Liam?
Not sure about Lara's ODI plans, but he has stated explicitly that he's not interested in the captaincy at this stage of his career.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ramdin needs to sort himself out first. He totally fell apart in New Zealand.
He wasn't alone there though mate.

Are the players still having bad dreams about Shane Bond? :laugh:

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
When I'm done watching TV. :p
Cheers.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Not sure about Lara's ODI plans, but he has stated explicitly that he's not interested in the captaincy at this stage of his career.
I would have thought Lara would have been a good stop gap measure until after the World Cup.

Apart from Ganga, who would you say are close to getting the role?

adharcric

International Coach
James said:
I would have thought Lara would have been a good stop gap measure until after the World Cup.

Apart from Ganga, who would you say are close to getting the role?
Why are people overlooking Sarwan? Isn't he the most accomplished member of this side after Lara, Chanderpaul and Gayle. For that matter, why are people overlooking Gayle?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
adharcric said:
Why are people overlooking Sarwan? Isn't he the most accomplished member of this side after Lara, Chanderpaul and Gayle. For that matter, why are people overlooking Gayle?
Sarwan being overlooked because he is still seen as an underachiever with the amount of talent that he has, and most would prefer to see the captaincy a burden towards him reaching that potential.

Gayle doesn't seem to command the respect of the cricket world for his leadership capabilities because of the attitude that is portrayed through the media. I'm not saying that he doesn't have those leadership capabilities, but to the general public, he's made to look like this beacon of coolness (i.e. cooler than Lenny Kravitz), and captaincy does not equal coolness.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I'd think it's between Sarwan and Gayle. If Lara changes his mind he'll get the ODI captaincy at least.

Blaze

Banned
James said:

Ramdin is a no go for me. Far too young and immature. He was, to put it bluntly, responsible for them losing the Auckland Test against us.

Sarwan would get my vote, with Lara being in his ear constantly during the World Cup.

Liam, I think Ganga could be a solid option. He would make a good captain IMO, but he hasn't exactly established himself back into the side yet has he? I think he needs to cement himself back in the XI by scoring runs for the next year before he can be considered for captaincy.