• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chanderpaul Resigns as Captain

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Glad Shiv's finally bitten the bullett and at least he's done it before the new home season even if it is a little overdue.

I understand the reasoning for giving it Ganga, but surely he has to do more to cement his place in the team first so can't be considered at this stage (can't believe I'm being even this positive about him!).

What about Collymore? He should be a certain selection when fit and seems to have a very good attitude and an even temperament.

Otherwise, I think it's got to be either a gamble on Sarwan or Lara as a stop-gap, given the need to make a choice in the next week or so.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
garage flower said:
What about Collymore? He should be a certain selection when fit and seems to have a very good attitude and an even temperament.

Otherwise, I think it's got to be either a gamble on Sarwan or Lara as a stop-gap, given the need to make a choice in the next week or so.
Collymore has never led a team in a significant cricket match though. I'd prefer not to have someone with zero captaincy experience at the helm of West Indies cricket.

I really hope they don't force it onto Lara, as it would obviously be against his preference.
I wonder if any odds maker has caught onto this scenario as yet. Could get quite interesting.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Then you'd have to wonder exactly what Bradshaw was telling him, because Ramdin has always been a player who takes advice.
Someone, I think it was Chanderpaul or King said that they'd discussed something about not playing certain shots/playing conservatively before Ramdin did that. Maybe at tea or something. I just know Ramdin was told not to play a shot like that. And yes Bradshaw was talking to him. He talked to him before the ball I think.

Mr Mxyzptlk

roseboy64 said:
Someone, I think it was Chanderpaul or King said that they'd discussed something about not playing certain shots/playing conservatively before Ramdin did that. Maybe at tea or something. I just know Ramdin was told not to play a shot like that. And yes Bradshaw was talking to him. He talked to him before the ball I think.
Well obviously he wasn't told to play the shot, and obviously the management will say that they told him not to. What's more likely is that he was told nothing and played it at his own discretion. Why would they have been wary of the sweep shot getting him out? It had happened once before and it was a poor umpiring decision on that occasion. I just find it utterly unbelievable that Denesh Ramdin would continue to attempt a shot if a senior player - or any team mate - was constantly telling him not to. This is Ramdin we're talking about, not Dwayne Smith.

Hindsight is the greatest scriptwriter.

King seems to give players freedom to make their decisions in the middle when batting, but I could be wrong about that perception.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
sensible picks, I guess. But I still think Gayle would do well IF given that responsibility of captaincy. He just strikes me as a guy who would lift when given the responsibility.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
1 of 7, add Chanderpaul and the selectors only need to find 3 more, 2 of which should be Bravo and Dave.

pskov

International 12th Man
I'd pick Gayle but I think they'll give it to Sarwan. I agree with those who say that giving Gayle the captaincy might be what is needed to spur him on and make him become the world-class player his talent indicates he could be.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
In my mind it's a travesty that he's considered more of a fixture in the side than the likes of Morton, Ganga, Samuels and De Smith. He's a class player, but the frequency with which he neglects to show it is so frustrating. Still, he will never be dropped.
I'm glad that Morton found his brain and grew up.

I honestly never thought he would never get as far as he has after his brushes with authority in the past, but he has put it behind and good luck to him.

Maybe if Sarwan was left out maybe it might show him that he isn't a certainty and maybe give him a reality shock and maybe he will respond from that. Agree or talking complete cobblers?

I don't know about you but I find it cringeworthy everytime he (Sarwan) gets a start and get's out. That could change but IMO if he stay's like this he will never be a great Test player, but a decent one at best.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Maybe if Sarwan was left out maybe it might show him that he isn't a certainty and maybe give him a reality shock and maybe he will respond from that. Agree or talking complete cobblers?

I don't know about you but I find it cringeworthy everytime he (Sarwan) gets a start and get's out. That could change but IMO if he stay's like this he will never be a great Test player, but a decent one at best.
I made a comment during the NZ series that both he and Gayle should be dropped to shake them up. Gayle played relatively well in New Zealand (until he gave away his wicket). Neither will be dropped for a very very long time yet.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Its a funny situation the Windies are in, if they want a short-term captain i'd give it back to Lara until he retires. I've heard many people say that he doesn't motivate the side, but over the last 10 years other than Hooper no captain since Richards retired seriously did that. Plus i'm not so sure if any player in the WI team can motivate.

But if they are looking long-term Sarwan or Gayle. The extra responsibility may bring the best out of them.

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie said:
Its a funny situation the Windies are in, if they want a short-term captain i'd give it back to Lara until he retires. I've heard many people say that he doesn't motivate the side, but over the last 10 years other than Hooper no captain since Richards retired seriously did that. Plus i'm not so sure if any player in the WI team can motivate.
Lara is doing fine as a regular player right now. He talks with the bowlers constantly and is always offering advice to the captain and vice-captain. I see no benefit in making him captain. What are they waiting on that they would need a stop-gap captain? Lara as captain is negative and hardly proactive.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think "pulling his weight" might be a better phrase. It just shows that he is contributing what he can even if he is not the captain.