• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chanderpaul Resigns as Captain

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
good move by Chanderpaul, it was affectign his batting which is a very important to the West Indies. i'd say the options to replace him are Gayle, Sarwan, Ramdin & Ganga (if he can become a fixture).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Blaze said:
Ramdin is a no go for me. Far too young and immature. He was, to put it bluntly, responsible for them losing the Auckland Test against us.
Ridiculous.

When Denesh Ramdin was at the crease there was already a slim chance that the West Indies would get home in that Test match. The fact that he should never have had to bat shows that he certainly was not responsible for the defeat. Put that on Shane Bond's plate.
Blaze said:
Liam, I think Ganga could be a solid option. He would make a good captain IMO, but he hasn't exactly established himself back into the side yet has he? I think he needs to cement himself back in the XI by scoring runs for the next year before he can be considered for captaincy.
I think part of the reason they brough Ganga (and Lewis for that matter) back into the West Indies team is his leadership. He's probably the best captain in the region right now, and he certainly looks a better batsman now than he did in his last stint in the team.

Yes, he needs some more big runs to nail down a spot, but what the West Indies have to consider is what (or who) is more important right now - someone averaging 40+ per innings and not leading well, or someone who gives you quality leadership and contributes about 30 per innings on average?

No doubt Ganga has the talent to give more with the bat though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

adharcric said:
I'd give it to Sarwan. Maybe he'll live up to the responsibility and mature as a batsman as well.
In my mind it's a travesty that he's considered more of a fixture in the side than the likes of Morton, Ganga, Samuels and De Smith. He's a class player, but the frequency with which he neglects to show it is so frustrating. Still, he will never be dropped.

Mr Mxyzptlk

James said:
He wasn't alone there though mate.

Are the players still having bad dreams about Shane Bond? :laugh:
No, I think they blunted him sufficiently in the third Test to get over it. :p

Mr Mxyzptlk

James said:
I would have thought Lara would have been a good stop gap measure until after the World Cup.

Apart from Ganga, who would you say are close to getting the role?
Well Sarwan has to be the front runner due his time as vice-captain. I think he could be a good leader, because the times when he's led the team when Chanderpaul/Lara have been off the field, his captaincy has looked energetic and innovative. Still, he hasn't been given the captaincy of Guyana and thus is still largely unproven.

That said, Chanderpaul was a very successful captain of Guyana.

After Sarwan I'd say Gayle, Ganga, and yes, Wavell Hinds. Then there's Mr. Sylvester Joseph...

Blaze

Banned
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ridiculous.

When Denesh Ramdin was at the crease there was already a slim chance that the West Indies would get home in that Test match. The fact that he should never have had to bat shows that he certainly was not responsible for the defeat. Put that on Shane Bond's plate.

Yeah I guess that saying he lost it for them is harsh, but you cannot deny that his wicket highlighted his lack of maturity. They were still a chance while he was at the crease, he and Bradshaw were looking quite comfortable, they had seen off Bond and the day's play was only a matter of balls away. He is nowhere near captain material (that isn't to say he won't be in the future)

You don't agree with that?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Blaze said:
Yeah I guess that saying he lost it for them is harsh, but you cannot deny that his wicket highlighted his lack of maturity. They were still a chance while he was at the crease, he and Bradshaw were looking quite comfortable, they had seen off Bond and the day's play was only a matter of balls away. He is nowhere near captain material (that isn't to say he won't be in the future)

You don't agree with that?
Well he's very young, so the immaturity is going to be there. Still, he has shown enough in his brief career to suggest that he's a lot more mature than many others his age. I think what that situation highlighted more than anything was the meekness of Ian Bradshaw. As the older and wiser man, he should've been constantly talking with Ramdin and trying to calm him down. He didn't appear to be doing so.

Blaze

Banned
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I think what that situation highlighted more than anything was the meekness of Ian Bradshaw. As the older and wiser man, he should've been constantly talking with Ramdin and trying to calm him down. He didn't appear to be doing so.
I can't remember it too well, but I thought Bradshaw was constantly in his ear. I am probably wrong, I just remember being impressed with Bradshaw and his approach...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Blaze said:
I can't remember it too well, but I thought Bradshaw was constantly in his ear. I am probably wrong, I just remember being impressed with Bradshaw and his approach...
Then you'd have to wonder exactly what Bradshaw was telling him, because Ramdin has always been a player who takes advice.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Gayle should be a no-brainer, mainly because he's really really cool, and hopefully the rest of the team will take his attitude into the game and be cool under pressure.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Gayle for me as Steve Waugh said he has "presence and ability to influence those around him".

oz_fan

International Regular
I would give the captaincy to Lara till the end of the 2007 World Cup when I believe he will retire from all forms of the game. When he retires Ramdin will be young and mature enough to take over.
Although Gayle can be a terrific batsmen he is often reckless.
I don't think that Sarwan would handle the responsibility well.
Ganga has not cemented his spot in the team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

open365 said:
Gayle should be a no-brainer, mainly because he's really really cool, and hopefully the rest of the team will take his attitude into the game and be cool under pressure.
Gayle is a bit too cool under pressure. That's why he gives his wicket away so often.

Re: Ganga; I firmly believe that the main reason he was recalled for the umpteenth time to the West Indies team, is due to his leadership skills. IMO the two best leaders in the region right now are Sylvester Joseph and Daren Ganga. At this stage I'd much rather someone is chosen as a class captain than as a class batsman and mediocre captain. Joseph won't be picked ahead of Ganga because the only real opening right now is in the opening slot.

Also, as I said before, Chris Gayle and Ramnaresh Sarwan really should not be considered fixtures in the side, as they take it for granted far too often.

There are only four West Indians who genuinely put their heads down every single time they go out to bat - Lara, Morton, Ganga, Bravo. They don't take their place for granted at all. Chanderpaul used to be one like that, but the captaincy broke him.