• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

They could have been great but...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matt79 said:
Andrew Symonds, the test versus SA this year at the MCG. Wickets, quick runs, its been the only 'defining' moment he's had in test cricket, and honestly it was pretty good.
Didn't his most defining moment come last year in Cardiff?

When he put pub before country?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Goughy said:
What are you talking about? He is not in the could-have-been -anything XI and nothing to do with the "Could Have Been Great XI"

You misread the categories.

He is in the group of people that have performed average but with 1 great performance that defined his career so far. Completely different subject.

The 222no vs Bang on debut.
Yes, I misread initially, but I still disagree. I don't think the double hundred has defined his career at all really. I think there are many who have forgotten that innings entirely.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
cricketboy29 said:
Ive never heard of this Bart King, whats his story?
He would have walked into the English team of the day.

In 1908 (his 3rd tour of Eng) he took 87 FC wickets at an average of 11 in only 10 games.

Ended his career with 415 FC wickets at an average of 15.66

Said to be quick and capable of moving the ball, he was considered by a number of top players as a great bowler.

I had a book a long time ago (cant remember the title) looking at the greatest bowlers in history and only 2 made it that had not played tests. These being Bart King and Vince van der Bijl.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The man who might have been great

A very honest interview with Graeme Hick by Kevin Mitchell in today's Observer.

Couple of interesting points raised re his failure to translate his prolific county scoring to tests: that his talent was "innate" so he found it impossible to work on when it let let him down & that he spent too long in the county game during his qualification period, which lead to him stagnating in his "comfort zone".

Ultimately he comes across as a thoroughly nice chap, possibly just lacking that mental toughness needed to make it to the very top.

Full article here:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,,1754939,00.html

archie mac

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
A very honest interview with Graeme Hick by Kevin Mitchell in today's Observer.

Couple of interesting points raised re his failure to translate his prolific county scoring to tests: that his talent was "innate" so he found it impossible to work on when it let let him down & that he spent too long in the county game during his qualification period, which lead to him stagnating in his "comfort zone".

Ultimately he comes across as a thoroughly nice chap, possibly just lacking that mental toughness needed to make it to the very top.

Full article here:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,,1754939,00.html
Good read, thanks for that BB :)