• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

They could have been great but...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Scott Muller: Can't bat, can't bowl, can't field
Mick Lewis: same as above :p

Nah in all seriousness:
SCG MacGill: Played in the same era as Shane Warne
Dave Mohammed: Selectors don't know what a spinners is and their captains don't know how to use one.
P Nissanka: Injuries

tooextracool

International Coach
C_C said:
You honestly think that alltime great bowlers like Waqar, Amby etc. would struggle to get in a county side unless they played 110% ?
They could and often did sleepwalk through their games and still end up with 4-60 kinda figures.
no i dont expect players to bowl at 110%, but i do expect them to be at at least 80-90%. by and large ability does not go away no matter how much effort you put in, you still can bowl outswingers and reverse swingers regardless even if you bowl marginally below your best pace. waqar was quite obviously a threat regardless of whether he bowled at 85 or 90mph

C_C said:
Ambrose was not the only one who could make the ball climb to yer ribs from goodlength...Walsh could ( IMO better than Ambrose because Walsh was an excellent inswing bowler) and so could Bishop.
This was a weakness that was his prime downfall along with serious mental weaknesses. But like the saying goes, every dog has his day- one or two good scores proves nothing really, especially on the back of numerous really poor scores.
so you've now decide to change your tune and bring in every other fast bowler from the WI side? throwing random names in like Bishop is almost always going to make your argument look less convincing, especially when you consider that he played a whole one series against Hick-coincidentally the same one in which Hick averaged 50 odd after 5 tests(against Bishop,Walsh, Ambrose, and the Benjamins) who were all probably WI best fast bowlers of the 90s. believe it or not in the same period when Hick succeeded against all the other teams at the international level, he averaged 42 against the WI from 10 tests, which is good for any player against such a quality attack, let alone one that supposedly couldnt play pace bowling. not surprisingly in the same period when hick was a failure at the international level he struggled against the WI as well as teams like India who he had succeeded against in the past.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
Jamie Siddons - Another player who probably would've played many tests had he not been a middle order batsman in 90's Australia. 10,643@44.72 30-100's and 50-50's. Twice he almost made it to test level, the first time he was hit with food poisoning on a tour of Pakistan and the second time, Merv Hughes broke his cheekbone with a bouncer. Is known as probably the greatest Australian batsman never to play test cricket.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
SCG MacGill: Played in the same era as Shane Warne
Can anyone tell me in the Tests that Warne and MacGill have played together, what are the comparisons. And how many times has MacGill been more successful?

I know I could do it myself, but maybe someone already has :)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dark Hunter said:
Jamie Siddons - Another player who probably would've played many tests had he not been a middle order batsman in 90's Australia. 10,643@4.72 30-100's and 50-50's.
With an average like that, I'm surprised he'd get anywhere near a state team :p

andyc

C_C said:
Has it ever occured to you that many bona-fide alltime greats dont really give a toss about FC cricket and play it pretty much with a 'one step above net practice' mentality ?
He struggled mightily against Waqar and Ambrose - was distinctly vulnerable to Waqar's toecrushers and Ambrose's ball that pitched on good length and rose to the ribs.
Weren't most people??

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
Hehehe.....Thanks.
Forget reaching state level, what's more amazing is that he managed to play enough games/innnings to reach 10,000+ runs with an average of 4.7:p

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Can anyone tell me in the Tests that Warne and MacGill have played together, what are the comparisons. And how many times has MacGill been more successful?

I know I could do it myself, but maybe someone already has :)
I remember doing it while ago, before the Australia summer though. The averages were like Warne 29 and MacGill 23.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Steve Tikolo
Kenyan

IMO he could have slotted into any ODI side bar Australia from the mid-1990s onwards.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Brad Haddin would have been a pretty useful international keeper/batsman if it wasn't for Gilchrist couldn't he?

andyc

open365 said:
Brad Haddin would have been a pretty useful international keeper/batsman if it wasn't for Gilchrist couldn't he?
Yeah he would've been probably about on par with Boucher, I'd say (in terms of batting, that is).

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Er - I'm guessing you don't know about Ken Wadsworth?

(PS Huge apologies if that's insulting, but I was surprised at your response. Admittedly I've never heard of Stew Griffen though.)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I don't know if he'd have been in the pantheon with the greats, but Colin Milburn would almost definitely have played more than just the 9 tests if he hadn't lost an eye in a car crash.

I think Basil D'Oliveria would've had an even more impressive career if he had debuted in tests at 24 rather than 34.
Good calls. Regarding Bd'O, he could also have had a more impressive international career if he'd been able to play for his country of birth. Much more a victim of aparthied than the others who have been mentioned previously.

Others ....
Kim Hughes - if he hadn't been made captain
Alec Stewart - if he hadn't been made wicket keeper
Silvester Clarke - if he hadn't been araound at the same time as all the other WI greats