• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1928 Australian Cricket Tour of N.Z.

kaikohe

Cricket Spectator
I recently came across a set of autographs of an Australian cricket team that toured N.Z. in 1928. Many of the players have become legendary in the game - Ponsford, Richardson,Oldfield, Woodfull,Grimmett etc. I have made up a video slideshow (complete with music) about that team - can be viewed on my blog at :
http://kaikohe-kia-ora.blogspot.com/
Any enquiries on it , please comment on blog. Enjoy the movie... David

archie mac

International Coach
Would not let me view it as I do not have the right software.

It is believed that Archie Jackson picked up TB on this tour which was to claim his life in 1933 at the age of just 23.

kaikohe

Cricket Spectator
1928 Cricket tour of N Z

Yes, Archie Jackson was the youngest test player to die, aged 23. Also another player on that tour,Karl Schneider died of Leukaemia 5 months after tour. If you go back to my blog, try picking up the video on "my videos", or look for a previous post of a photo of the autographs.Regards

archie mac

International Coach
kaikohe said:
Yes, Archie Jackson was the youngest test player to die, aged 23. Also another player on that tour,Karl Schneider died of Leukaemia 5 months after tour. If you go back to my blog, try picking up the video on "my videos", or look for a previous post of a photo of the autographs.Regards
Still could not view, but I had a look at the sigs, could not really work them out.

I always wonder what would have happened if Bradman would have gone on this tour instead of Jackson (he only just missed out) it might have changed cricket forever.

I wonder who we would have thought of as the greatest batsman in history, if Bradman toured and contracted TB?

Jack Hobbs maybe?

kaikohe

Cricket Spectator
1928 Cricket autographs

In 2000, a panel of experts in evaluating the greatest players of all time, awarded Bradman 100 points,Sir Garfield Sobers 90, Jack Hobbs 30, Shayne Warne 27 and Sir Viv Richards 25.Australia has produced many brilliant batsmen - Bill Ponsford with a highest 1st class score of 437, Plum Warner twice Wisden C.of Year,Allan Kippax,Bill Woodfull etc, Jack Hobbs scored 61000 1st class runs, twice Wisden C.of Year (last in 1926 at age 44)None of them, however, come anywhere near the great Don. - long may his legend last, and, unfortunately,to contemplate him getting TB, would have deprived the greatest game of the greatest player.

archie mac

International Coach
kaikohe said:
I. - long may his legend last, and, unfortunately,to contemplate him getting TB, would have deprived the greatest game of the greatest player.
No doubt, but I wonder who would have been if their was no Don :)

kaikohe

Cricket Spectator
Don Bradman

Don, thankfully, is part of our cricket legend. Had he toured N Z and caught TB, instead of Archibald Jackson, then cricket would, no doubt have found another hero.But history is history - he was the man who survived, the man who created the accomplishments. I am now working on a video of Bert Sutcliffe, the N Z batsman who brought N Z cricket into the competitive test arena. Pity you couldn't view the slideshow of 1928 cricketers - my 1st attempt, but no doubt, I will improve. I think there is a demand for such a cricket archive format. Regards, Dave

archie mac

International Coach
kaikohe said:
Don, thankfully, is part of our cricket legend. Had he toured N Z and caught TB, instead of Archibald Jackson, then cricket would, no doubt have found another hero.But history is history - he was the man who survived, the man who created the accomplishments. I am now working on a video of Bert Sutcliffe, the N Z batsman who brought N Z cricket into the competitive test arena. Pity you couldn't view the slideshow of 1928 cricketers - my 1st attempt, but no doubt, I will improve. I think there is a demand for such a cricket archive format. Regards, Dave
Yes I would enjoy something on Bert I have his bio here, but have not had a chance to read it as yet. :)

Yes I think it a great idea ( I think there is a demand for such a cricket archive format) keep us updated:cool:

kaikohe

Cricket Spectator
Bert Sutcliffe

Bert Sutcliffe has several really fascinating parts to his cricket life:
(a) 2nd only to Bradman in aggregate runs for a touring player in England
(b) Wisden Cricketer of Year 1950
(c) N Z Cricket Almanack Player of Year 1945
(d) Involved in probably the most emotional scene in NZ cricket history after being felled by a Neil Adcock bouncer in South Africa.
(e) Probably single-handedly brought N Z into the full International Test Arena.
(f) During WW2, while in army , played service cricket with Englishmen Jim Laker and Peter Smith.
He is remembered with reverence in N.Z.

archie mac

International Coach
kaikohe said:
Bert Sutcliffe has several really fascinating parts to his cricket life:
(a) 2nd only to Bradman in aggregate runs for a touring player in England
(b) Wisden Cricketer of Year 1950
(c) N Z Cricket Almanack Player of Year 1945
(d) Involved in probably the most emotional scene in NZ cricket history after being felled by a Neil Adcock bouncer in South Africa.
(e) Probably single-handedly brought N Z into the full International Test Arena.
(f) During WW2, while in army , played service cricket with Englishmen Jim Laker and Peter Smith.
He is remembered with reverence in N.Z.
Yes very interesting, I have read that he was never the same cricketer after he was struck by that bouncer. Which would be understandable, even after showing such great guts to come back and continue his innings.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
He is also one of four players from the Albion cricket club in Dunedin (of which I'm a former club captain) who have scored triple centuries in first-class cricket. The other three being Mark Richardson, Ken Rutherford and Glenn Turner.

archie mac

International Coach
Voltman said:
He is also one of four players from the Albion cricket club in Dunedin (of which I'm a former club captain) who have scored triple centuries in first-class cricket. The other three being Mark Richardson, Ken Rutherford and Glenn Turner.
A handy group of players that, did you know any of them personally?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Played with Rigor for a season or two in the senior team, met Glenn a few times through my Voltman role (sat in the back seat of a car for two hours with him and Lee Germon chatting in the front - he brought me an icecream at a small town called Lawrence :laugh: ) but don't know Rudders personally.

archie mac

International Coach
Voltman said:
Played with Rigor for a season or two in the senior team, met Glenn a few times through my Voltman role (sat in the back seat of a car for two hours with him and Lee Germon chatting in the front - he brought me an icecream at a small town called Lawrence :laugh: ) but don't know Rudders personally.
Let me guess strawberry? :laugh: