• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alltime Alliteration XI

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
George Gunn
RT "Tim" Robinson
UDU "Upul" Chandana
Loads of Fernandos
DSBP "Brendan" Kuruppu
MF "Farveez" Maharoof
But none of these would merit inclusion in the Team. I could be wrong though, you maybe the biggest Brendan Kuruppu fan on the planet :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Goughy said:
But none of these would merit inclusion in the Team. I could be wrong though, you maybe the biggest Brendan Kuruppu fan on the planet :)
I'd take George Gunn over Scott Styris... and if we're simming it, then Brendan Kuruppu will go down with his 53-run Test average!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Goughy said:
Clairmonte Christopher Lewis
Isn't he Christopher Clairmonte?

EDIT: apparently not, but I'm sure he used to be known as Christopher Clairmonte Lewis.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
I'd take George Gunn over Scott Styris... and if we're simming it, then Brendan Kuruppu will go down with his 53-run Test average!
I suggest we pick what we would have as the best team and then sim it, rather than pick players who will sim well. I know Kuruppu averages over 50 but he only played 4 tests in 4 years. IMO He should not be included.

Gunn for Styris is a toss-up for me. No doubt Gunn was great for Notts but did not play enough tests for my liking (or crush opponents in those he did). In all honesty either could play for the team, though Gunn does have far more historical significance.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Isn't he Christopher Clairmonte?

Not according to Cricinfo

Chris Lewis

England

Player profile

Full name Clairmonte Christopher Lewis
Born February 14, 1968, Georgetown, Demerara, Guyana
Current age 38 years 53 days
Major teams England, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Surrey
Batting style Right-hand bat
Bowling style Right-arm fast-medium

archie mac

International Coach
Middle Team 11
Broad
Hassett
Richards
Pollock
Harvey
De Silva
Dujon
Vaas
Hogg
Lewis
Statham

Okay here is the final team, giving you back Cowdrey and Greenidge.

Off to bed now, let me know who wins:)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
On a warm day in Sydney the captains of the Alliteration XI and the Middle Name XI met over a good looking, normal batting track for the toss, in this a One Off Test Match between players gatherered from across the globe and time.

The captains exchanged team sheets.

Alliteration XI
Graham Gooch
Gordon Greenidge
Richie Richardson
Yousuf Youhana
Colin Cowdrey
Chris Cairns
Jack Russell
Malcolm Marshall
Peter Pollock
Muttiah Muralitharan
Bishan Bedi

Middle Name XI
Broad
Hassett
Richards
Pollock
Harvey
De Silva
Dujon
Vaas
Hogg
Lewis
Statham

A balanced and interesting Test appeared to be on the horizon with the All XI having a strong bowling line-up and Mid XI possessing batting greats.

At the toss Middle XI captain called heads and guessed correctly. To the sound of choking and gasping noises from around the ground he elected to bowl (I kid you not the simulator did this). The world hoped he had a plan as batting last against Murali and Bedi would be no easy task.

The suspicions of the world proved correct, the details of the game follows-

All XI 1st Innings
460-9 Declared off 168 overs
Cowdrey 253 not out
Cairns 44
Greenidge 43

Statham 48-13-127-6
Vaas 48-16-104-2

Mid XI 1st Innings
309 all out off 83.3 overs
Richards 67
Harvey 58
de Silva 46

Murali 13-2-40-4
Cairns 20.3-6-48-2
Marshall 16-1-87-2

All XI 2nd Innings
271-4 Declared off 79.4 overs
Richardson 97
Greenidge 90
Gooch 59

Harvey 8-3-14-1
Lewis 17-3-41-1
Statham 20.4-3-66-1
Vaas 24-7-86-1

Mid XI 2nd Innings
345 all out off 102.3 overs
Harvey 131
Richards 71
Pollock 47

Murali 21.3-6-65-3
Pollock 25-9-58-2
Cairns 20-1-92-2

So at 4:47pm, with rain clouds gathering, on day 5 of this One Off Test the last wicket fell.

Alliteration XI won by 77 runs

MOM- Colin Cowdrey

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
I demand a re-match:@

Winning the toss and batting? Who was our captain?

We will make it Hassett with his 2IC Richards.

And what about Broad scoring a 139 in the Bicentennial Test at the SCG?

I am thinking we will play at Old Trafford and see what Statham can do there:ph34r:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Under grey skies the players arrived by bus and psychic channeling to Old Trafford for the rematch between Alliteration XI and Middle Name XI.

A small crowd gathered to see the result of the toss.
The sky was grey and the track looked like it would get better as the game went on and maybe take a little spin.

Despite the omens of difficult early batting the Alliteration XI captain won the toss and elected to bat.

Details below

Alliteration XI
1st Innings
166 all out off 62.1 overs
Cowdrey 35
Richardson 26
Russell 26 no

Statham 19-6-36-7
Vaas 17.1-0-58-3

Middle XI
1st Innings
197 all out off 58.3 overs
Richards 50
Pollock 44
Broad 31

Murali 10.3-2-20-3
Bedi 9-2-28-3
Marshall 8-0-38-2

All XI
2nd Innings
280 all out off 92.2
Gooch 77
Richardson 53
Cowdrey 53

Vaas 21.2-6-53-4
Statham 28-7-92-4

Mid XI
2nd Innings
254 for 4 off 59.2
Pollock 85 no
Harvey 80
Broad 27

Murali 11-5-19-1
Pollock 11-2-56-1
Marshall 16-3-75-1

After a flutter of early wickets a 141 run partnership between Pollock and Harvey took the Middle Name XI to victory. The tactic of carefully watching the dangerous spin and attacking the seamers was very successful.

Middle Name XI won by 6 wickets

Man of the match: Statham

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Yay

Thanks for that I really enjoyed it. I was thinking the All 11 would be to good with their spin bowlers in the last innings.

Should we play a decider?

Anywhere but the Subcontinent:)

Your choice, all should we leave it at one all?

pskov

International 12th Man
I'd say a hard and bouncy West Indian strip. Either Sabina Park, Jamacia or Kensington Oval, Barbados.