• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Anwar Curse

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
Who do you think will break Saeed Anwar's record of 194? It seems anyone who gets close to it, always seems to have a great chance with many overs to spare, but never does it. Latest example was Gibbs, and the one before that Dhoni. Its just something I keep wondering in the back of my head. Maybe I should get back to work. gaaaah :-O the treacherous 194.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Dhoni didn't have a "great chance with many overs to spare" because they were chasing and they reached the total while he was not out.

adharcric

International Coach
I think Dhoni could well be the man to come close to it again if he's batted up the order.
He bats with an excellent strike rate without taking too many risks so he could really go for big scores.

oz_fan

International Regular
For a player to score a ODI double hundred they need:
To be batting first
Top order
Keep strike
Weak opposition
Flat track

I think we might see the first ODI double hundred in the next two years, possibly the World Cup. I really thought that Gibbs was on his way there. I notice a lot that after the batman gets to around 120 they begin to tire.

I would say that it is out of Dhoni, Ponting, Afridi, Gilchrist and Gibbs.
I also wouldn't count out Jayasuriya, Lara or Gilchrist making a double at the World Cup in what could be their last cricket competition.

adharcric

International Coach
oz_fan said:
To be batting first
Top order
Keep strike
Weak opposition
Flat track

I think we might see the first ODI double hundred in the next two years, possibly the World Cup. I really thought that Gibbs was on his way there. I notice a lot that after the batman gets to around 120 they begin to tire.

I also wouldn't count out Jayasuriya, Lara or Gilchrist making a double at the World Cup in what could be their last cricket competition.
Afridi and Gilchrist won't last. Btw, are you saying Australia are a "weak opposition"?:laugh:

oz_fan

International Regular
adharcric said:
Afridi and Gilchrist won't last. Btw, are you saying Australia are a "weak opposition"?:laugh:
No because no one has scored a double century against them and I don't think Gibbs would have come close if Australia had McGrath in for Clark and anyone in for Lewis.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Australia about to play Banglasdesh, big chance for Gilchrist and Ponting there, Symonds maybe if a couple of wickets are lost early

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
oz_fan said:
To be batting first
Top order
Keep strike
Weak opposition
Flat track

Absolutely..........Lou Vincent had a royal chance against a weak Zimb, even though it was only a 44 over match, Vincent was out in the 39th over for 172

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Gibbs should have achieved the feat, I mean he was on about 170 in the 30th over. He could have easily got 250 from there.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Two words, ladies and gentlemen - Kevin Pietersen.

if he bats at 3 or 4 against Bangladesh or Zimbabwe (and England bat first naturally) the record could well be obliterated