• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Is The Greatest Australian To Never Win The Ashes?

pskov

International 12th Man
Stuart Clark? :confused1

Edit: More seriously, from the current crop it has to be Mike Hussey, but I'm sure that those in the know could dig up someone much better than these two.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's actually a pretty good question.

In the 20th century, the largest number of Ashes series that have gone by without Australia winning is 4, between the Australian victories in 1964 and 1974, due to three drawn series. There were also streaks of 3 that fell within 1950-1958 and 1982-1989. So one would assume it could be someone whose entire career fell during those periods.

pskov

International 12th Man
FaaipDeOiad said:

In the 20th century, the largest number of Ashes series that have gone by without Australia winning is 4, between the Australian victories in 1964 and 1974, due to three drawn series. There were also streaks of 3 that fell within 1950-1958 and 1982-1989. So one would assume it could be someone whose entire career fell during those periods.
Yes, one would think it would have to be someone who's career fit into those short periods, which is unlikely as few 'great' players have such short careers. So most likely it would be someone who played a great deal of their career during one of those periods and missed a series or two at either end of the period through injury/selection.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Moody. I think, he should be counted as an aussie great(not as a test player though). But considering names like Stuart Clark and Tim Zoehrer are floated here, he definately deserves a mention.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Rolf Harris
How about ,

John Farnham, Tom Kennealy , Olivia Newton John, Nicole Kidman, Ron Borassi, Wally Lewis, Mal Meninga, Ian Thorpe, Dawn Fraser, John Landy, Michael Lynagh, John Eales, Errol Flynn, Lord Howard Florey (credited with discovery of Penicillin for medical use after Alexander Fleming's discovery), Sir Mark Oliphant (credited with several inventions) , Sir Fred Hollows , Late Sir John (Weary) Dunlap....many more :) :)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
How about ,

John Farnham, Tom Kennealy , Olivia Newton John, Nicole Kidman, Ron Borassi, Wally Lewis, Mal Meninga, Ian Thorpe, Dawn Fraser, John Landy, Michael Lynagh, John Eales, Errol Flynn, Lord Howard Florey (credited with discovery of Penicillin for medical use after Alexander Fleming's discovery), Sir Mark Oliphant (credited with several inventions) , Sir Fred Hollows , Late Sir John (Weary) Dunlap....many more :) :)
You forgot Big Kev.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
We're talking real sports here, sted-dy, not the old fire drill of "stop, drop and roll".

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:

I'd argue that any Australian playing in the drawn series in the 60's still took part in securing the ashes, which narrows it down even more. Maybe there was someone good who only played in 1953, 1954/5 and 1956. More recently, how about Kim Hughes, if he didn't play in 1982/3? (Although he might have done - I'm not sure and I can't raise the energy to check). Alternatively, anyone who only played in some or all of 1977, 1978/9 and 1981. Lanny Pascoe possibly? Or David Hookes?

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
GeraintIsMyHero said:
They did the Ashes on Gladiators once as well. DOn't know who won mind you.
Cue bloke in stripes with Scottish accent:

"Pom, you will go on my first whistle. Convict, you will go on my second whistle."