• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5 Greatest Captains Ever

Fusion

Global Moderator
I'm sure this has been done here before...but heck that has never stopped anyone! :) I'm interested to read people's views on the five greatest cricket captains ever. I am not separating Test and ODI's, but you can go that route if you want. My list consists of only those that I have seen. Therefore, many of the old greats are obviously missing. I think CW has some great students of the games and therefore I'm sure I will learn a lot from the lists you all put up! Well here we go:

(1) Clive Lloyd: Led the invincibles and his record speaks for itself.
(2) Mark Taylor: I was not sure whether Border deserved this spot or Taylor. Border may have laid the foundation, but Taylor started the current Australian dynasty.
(3) Imran Khan: A great leader of men. His overall record may not compare well with others, but I think it is remarkable what he achieved with Pakistan. He led a traditionally dysfunctional unit to World Cup glory, and his teams back in the day were the only ones giving trouble to the West Indies dynasties.
(4) Steve Waugh: Again, perhaps reaped the rewards of his predecessor, but his contribution can't be ignored. Truly cemented Australia's dominance over the world. I was always a fan of his steely resolve.
(5) Sourav Ganguly: Yes him. Ignore the recent soap opera that surrounds him and focus on his record. IMO, he's the greatest Indian captain ever. Led India to its first victory in Pakistan. Much like Imran in the 70's, his team was having respectable battles with the Alpha Dog of the era.

tooextracool

International Coach
from the time ive started watching cricket(1992---) id say Martin Crowe, Nasser Hussain, Steve Fleming, Mark Taylor and Hansie Cronje

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is entirely based on my time as well, which really only started early 1990s, say 93-94.
1) Mark Taylor
2) Hansie Cronje
3) Stephen Fleming
4) Allan Border
5) Ricky Ponting

:p ;)

5) Stephen Fleming

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor is the best I've ever seen, and by a significant margin as well. The guy was a tactical genius, and whatever you might say about Waugh's ability to lead men, Taylor rarely made an error on the field, and often came up with unusual ideas that worked perfectly.

In my time watching cricket:
Taylor
Fleming
Cronje
Waugh
Vaughan

I actually rate Vaughan quite highly as a captain. Surprised I'm the onle one who has picked him so far. Hussein just misses out for me.

All time it is hard to pick, but I'd say Ian Chappell, Mark Taylor and Imran Khan are definite picks. After that it gets more difficult.

Blaze

Banned
Martin Crowe was better than Fleming IMO, just didn't have the same resources avaliable to him...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
All time is hard to call because for the majority of us we're reliant on the same source material, but I suppose Warwick Armstrong, Douglas Jardine (you may hate him, but he was resposnsible for arguably the biggest tactical masterstroke ever), Benaud & Brearley would have to be there or thereabouts.

Of cricketers I've seen it's Imran Khan for me. No other player could lift his team by sheer force of will like him. A prince among cricketers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Clearly Michael Brearley has to have been up there.
But it's impossible to look past Jardine and Armstrong.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pothas said:
I simply cant look past the match fixing when it comes to Cronje.
Even though, before (and, indeed, after) it all he was clearly an outstanding captain?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
In my opinion, a good captain has to lead from the front with his performances. Certainly tactical ability is a large part of captaincy, but the ability to bring a team together under you, and to perform yourself when most needed are very important as well. Brearley fails quite badly in the last category, so I don't think you could consider him for the top 5.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
This is entirely based on my time as well, which really only started early 1990s, say 93-94.
1) Mark Taylor
2) Hansie Cronje
3) Stephen Fleming
4) Allan Border
5) Ricky Ponting

:p ;)

5) Stephen Fleming
Fleming twice?

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
1 Imarn Khan
2 Chappel
3 Lloyd
4Cronje
5Flemming

None of the Indian captain was exceptionally good.Ganguly though was the best of the lot.

C_C

International Captain
Cronje automatically disqualifies himself for being a sorry excuse for a sportsman and a cheat.

But the best 5 captains - both from what i've read and watched are ( in no particular order):

1. Clive Lloyd
2. Frank Worrell
3. Imran Khan
4. Brearley
5. Mark Taylor.

archie mac

International Coach
From My Time

Brearley
Chappelli
Lloyd
Waugh
Khan

All Time Aust.

Noble
Bradman
Chappelli
Benaud
Darling

All Time England

Brearley
Jardine
Fender (the greatest english captain, never to captain England)
FS Jackson
May

All Time History

Brearley (Rodney Hogg said he 'had a degree in people')
Noble (no one who played under him had any doubts that he was the best)
Worrell (made the scattered islands one cricket country)
Bradman (had a fellow who averaged 99 in all of his teams)
Jardine (Ruthless, single minded, smart, brave, What more do you want from a captain)

FS Jackson to always perform the toss :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
marc71178 said:
Fleming twice?
Argh.

Wait, to try and cover up my error I may just claim that 5 was supposed to be Ponting anyway.

Which would make me seem less stupid? :p