• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Asif

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Err, I hardly see how they struggled with him...
Younis missed a straight ball in the first-innings at Multan. It happens. He'd been utterly innocuous before.
Raza fell for the most blindingly obvious three-card trick. Hopefully he won't be around to fall for it again. Ever.
Kaneria cut a Long-Hop to gully.
Malik played his typical terrible stroke. It was a nothing delivery. Malik just isn't Test-class, certainly not as an opener.
Dismissing Shabbir Ahmed means absolutely nothing. I've seen worse batsmen only once or twice.
Akmal then had a slog because he was batting with the tail.
So that 6-89 was exceptionally flattering. 3 wickets came at the end, and the 3 that came at the top certainly didn't come from wicket-taking deliveries. Only 1 was a Test-class batsman.
Then...
Salman Butt chased one. It's a typical dismissal for him. It was still a nothing ball.
Rana and Shoaib then got out after he'd been dealt with well by the batsmen.
Then, after being innocuous for most of the innings, he got gifted 2 on the final morning, by Akmal and Rana again.
The fact that his figures were decent in the first 2 Tests certainly does not equate to him causing troubles in some way that any bowler was not going to.
oh once again a Richard post with so much logic8-)
whether or not you think his bowling was not special or the batting was poor is not relevant, the fact is that the pakistan batsman didnt handle it very well. and if they didnt handle it very well one cannoy assume that they would handle it any better in England. which by and large throws water on your theory that the Pakistan problems should have absolutely no problems against Harmison.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
And bar Trent Bridge and Headingley 2003, Headingley 2002 and the first session at Edgbaston 2002, none did in the 2 previous years either.
what is with the Headingly 2002 that you keep mentioning as seamer friendly. the only bowlers that got wickets on that track were the spinners.

Richard said:
Of course, we've still seen occasions where it swung, but we've also seen countless where conditions seemed perfect for conventional-swing and commentators commented on how little of it had actually happened.
no the problem is that people dont tend to look at games in England session by session. As such its quite likely that one session in England offered plenty of swing while another offered absolutely none. and its happened plenty of times before.

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
I saw the guy against Aus on debut and thought the guy has potential. He dint take a wkt but "looked" like with some work can me a good line/length bowler. He never got nearly as much movement then, because he is just a genuine wkt taker. I just hope he stays fit, healthy, and humble. If he is all of that that InshaAllah he will do well for Pak in the yrs to come as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
oh once again a Richard post with so much logic8-)
whether or not you think his bowling was not special or the batting was poor is not relevant, the fact is that the pakistan batsman didnt handle it very well. and if they didnt handle it very well one cannoy assume that they would handle it any better in England. which by and large throws water on your theory that the Pakistan problems should have absolutely no problems against Harmison.
The point is I'd expect them to handle him better - and I'd also expect (given past happenings) him to get less instances where tail-end wickets make figures look better than they deserve to.
I don't really care if 1 or 2 top-order batsmen played poor strokes on a couple of occasions - because mostly it hasn't happened with Harmison. Mostly, for every time it has, it hasn't on 3 or 4 others.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
what is with the Headingly 2002 that you keep mentioning as seamer friendly. the only bowlers that got wickets on that track were the spinners.
Err, so what? You seem far too preoccupied with who-got-wickets\what-the-result-was than the actual happenings. There was plenty of seam-movement at Headingley 2002 - not as much as at some Headingley Tests, no, but plenty still. The fact that pretty much no seamers got wickets simply says that all the seamers who played bowled rubbish - hardly surprising since the only decent seamer in either side was half-fit.
They still moved the ball plenty - they just didn't pitch it in the right areas, anywhere near often enough. And, on the rare occasions they did, the batsmen played it well.
no the problem is that people dont tend to look at games in England session by session. As such its quite likely that one session in England offered plenty of swing while another offered absolutely none. and its happened plenty of times before.
Err, there have been very few sessions which have offered lavish conventional-swing since the balls were changed in 2001. In 2000, it wasn't unusual to see all 4 bowlers bending it around corners for sustained periods. Nor, indeed, was it unusual the previous summer, or the one before.