• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Zimbabwe in the West Indies

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Happy to see Sky are showing this series which I am looking forward too. Nicetimes today with mid-afternoon starts.

Just a warning though and that is the second match on Sunday 30th will start on interactive at 2.30pm before going to Sky Sports 2 at 6.30pm. Ill be missing the start it clashes with the Warwickshire v Scotland game on Sky Sports

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm predicting a 7-0 win for the West Indies but Zimbabwe to play quite well in two of those games.

Top Run Scorer: Ramnaresh Sarwan
Top Wicket Taker: Fidel Edwards
Man of Series: Fidel Edwards

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Andy Pycroft, Zimbabwe's team manager, wants to put in the background the politics and the economics that have afflicted Zimbabwe's cricket in recent times. Instead he wants to concentrate on developing their reconstructed, inexperienced side for their forthcoming trip to the Caribbean.

"We're looking at cricket not politics and trying to prepare this new side as quickly as we can."

As they prepare to head for the West Indies for a series of seven one-day internationals, starting on April 29, Pycroft is optimistic they will make the type of progress to ensure they return to Test cricket early next year.

"We wouldn't be doing what we're doing unless we believe it was possible," Pycroft said. "The time frame set to try and get back into Test cricket is February next year.

"We've very much been focused on one-day cricket because we believe that's the way to bring the side through and then get back into longer cricket once we've got the experience that we need."

Pycroft, who played three Tests and 20 one-day internationals for Zimbabwe between 1983 and 1992, was speaking from Harare during an interview with CMC CricketPlus during the third day of the Carib Beer Challenge final between Trinidad and Tobago and Barbados at Guracara Park on Monday.

A series victory, he admitted, would certainly raise a lot of eyebrows. "A lot of people have written Zimbabwe cricket off with the problems they've had, but there is still a lot of potential there."

Their 16-man squad, led by Terrance Duffin, includes several players with very little international experience, but the manager is upbeat about the preparations.

"The mood's been very good. It's a very young side. The average age is only something just over 20 years old, forced on us because a lot of players have given up in the recent past," Pycroft said. "The side we've got together has been practising hard over the last five or six weeks. They are learning quickly and playing quite well. The strength of the side is more in the bowling department. The batting is quite inexperienced."

Prior to coming to the Caribbean, Zimbabwe played against Kenya and after the ODIs against the West Indies, they will remain for a triangular limited-overs series in Trinidad that also involves Bermuda and Canada.

"We want these lads to get as much experience as possible. A lot of these guys haven't played at international level," Pycroft said. "They are getting better and better. The aim of this tour is to give them experience as quickly as possible and to be as competitive as possible. There is no doubt we can do it."
That from CricInfo.

I think this will be a very interesting series actually. To be fair I hope they return to Test Cricket asap. He mentions the lack of experince and that is what could really hurt them. I just hope we don't see uncontested whitewashes and it would be nice to see a few Zimb. talents emerge.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Just looking at the squad and its pretty much the same as the series against Kenya. Piet Rinke and Keegan Meth were supposedly two real positives from that series so lets see how they can do when they step up against a better class of opposition. Other than that it’s a pretty uninspiring squad but as I said above it will be an intriguing series and thanks to Sky will give us a good look at the Zimb team in the run up to the World Cup.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I used to love watching the Zim cricket team. Such a good little bunch of fighters.

That is why their situation is so sad. I am positive they will get a 7-0 walloping unless weather intervenes.

sideshowtim

Banned
There is no way that the current Zimbabwean side is fit for international cricket. Every first-grade side in Australia would give them a walloping. They had a decent looking side with the Flowers, Streak and Taibu but I guess that'll never be...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
sirjeremy11 said:
I used to love watching the Zim cricket team. Such a good little bunch of fighters.

That is why their situation is so sad. I am positive they will get a 7-0 walloping unless weather intervenes.
I don't think the fighting spirit is gone. It's just that there's no quality in the mix. The fight is still there, I'm sure.

sideshowtim

Banned
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I don't think the fighting spirit is gone. It's just that there's no quality in the mix. The fight is still there, I'm sure.
We'll see. Their mental attitude isn't going to be great. They have virtually no chance against a side like the West Indies for gods sake.

Mr Mxyzptlk

sideshowtim said:
We'll see. Their mental attitude isn't going to be great. They have virtually no chance against a side like the West Indies for gods sake.
That never stopped Bangladesh. I don't why it's so unbelievable that a side can play spirited and purpose-driven cricket in the face of great odds. It's called the underdog theory, folks.

Besides, aside from Bangladesh and England, the West Indies is the most likely Test nation to lose to Zimbabwe in ODI cricket right now.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
What time British Time does play start? Depending on how things so I expect to be at the last day of the Durham v Lancs match on Saturday so Im wondering how much Ill miss. Also on Sunday Ill be more inclined to watch whatever Domestic match is on so Ill probably record both games in ths series and watch them later in the evening

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That never stopped Bangladesh. I don't why it's so unbelievable that a side can play spirited and purpose-driven cricket in the face of great odds. It's called the underdog theory, folks.

Besides, aside from Bangladesh and England, the West Indies is the most likely Test nation to lose to Zimbabwe in ODI cricket right now.
Yeah, but let's look at this seriously. Zim are so pies at the moment, the Kenya team they drew a series with (who are also in disarray themselves) went to Bangladesh and got absolutely walloped.

If West Indies don't do whitewash the Zim in their own home patch, they should be very disappointed.

Is Lara going to play?

Mr Mxyzptlk

sirjeremy11 said:
Yeah, but let's look at this seriously. Zim are so pies at the moment, the Kenya team they drew a series with (who are also in disarray themselves) went to Bangladesh and got absolutely walloped.

If West Indies don't do whitewash the Zim in their own home patch, they should be very disappointed.

Is Lara going to play?
I don't see the benefit of Lara playing, unless he's chasing a record of sorts. This is the ideal series to get a look at the likes of Kelly and Chattergoon. It SHOULD be a warmup for the India series, as bad as that sounds for Zimbabwe.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I don't see the benefit of Lara playing, unless he's chasing a record of sorts. This is the ideal series to get a look at the likes of Kelly and Chattergoon. It SHOULD be a warmup for the India series, as bad as that sounds for Zimbabwe.
Gotta say, I think Lara needs a bit of match practise.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
WI Team

Chris Gayle
Runako Morton
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Brian Lara (captain)
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Dwayne Smith
Marlon Samuels
Dwayne Bravo
Denesh Ramdin
Corey Collymore
Fidel Edwards
Jerome Taylor
Ian Bradshaw

Must be resting Dave for the India tour

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rinke looks in fine touch. Good to see. I'm still very concerned over the fast bowling department though. Mahwire and Rainsford got hammered.