Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: **Official** Zimbabwe in the West Indies

i take it back about higgins! Hes bowling well

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by albo97056
    What is it with dave, hes just an average spinner who doesnt turn it... He might cause zim a few probs but india will murder him!
    And you've seen how much of Dave Mohammed? I only ask because I wish to attain your level of knowledge as to just how he bowls. I mean, it's not like I get to witness his greatness very often.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

i take it back about higgins! Hes bowling well
    That's some fierce conviction you've got there...

well, ive only seen higgins bowl in the first match where he was all over the place, so no i didnt have a fierce conviction.
    And ive seen a fair bit of mohammed, I saw him bowl in the test series v england at manchester i think it was in 2004 and in the one day game the other day. I think thats enough to see just how good he is and from what ive seen, hes nothing special, just a standard left arm chinaman with little turn. I was just askin because there are so many coments about him on the forum. I'm not saying hes not worth his place, just not anything worrth the fuss.

And ive seen a fair bit of mohammed, I saw him bowl in the test series v england at manchester i think it was in 2004 and in the one day game the other day. I think thats enough to see just how good he is and from what ive seen, hes nothing special, just a standard left arm chinaman with little turn. I was just askin because there are so many coments about him on the forum. I'm not saying hes not worth his place, just not anything worrth the fuss.
    Two matches?? Whoa. *bows...?*

First off, two matches is not a 'fair bit'. Also worth noting that how he bowled in a Test match in 2004 has nothing to do with how he bowls now.
    Second, the fuss isn't entirely serious, but Dave Mohammed has a lot more variety than you give him credit for.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    How come Dave's been dropped today Liam?

Utseya took a pretty awesome catch

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    Keeping him fresh for India.

i dunno, i think in 1 game you can tell a lot about a bowler. And few of the wickets he got would have been taken against india

i dunno, i think in 1 game you can tell a lot about a bowler. And few of the wickets he got would have been taken against india
    Yet he neither bowled poorly nor would he have bowled the same against India, so it's impossible to judge him in that way until he does.

I've seen a lot more than one game and I've seen him bowl against various batsmen in various conditions and various match situations. Dave Mohammed may not be international standard yet (I can't say until he plays international cricket) but he's a good bowler.

Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave

Utseya took a pretty awesome catch
    Rotation policy. Idiotic rotation policy. I can't see what was the benefit of playing Taylor and Bradshaw ahead of Mohammed and Collymore today. Collymore especially needs match practice and Taylor is already in form, whereas Bradshaw has been playing a fair bit of cricket this year.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Gotta say I enjoyed the sixes of Lara. India need to watch out for him, but then again, for some reason, he always seems to be below par against us.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

It is rather unfortunate for Dave Mohammed he looked pretty decent against Zimbabwe not saying a lot I know but he has the regrettable task of ‘competing’ against Chris Gayle, one of the world’s best cricketing misers. Also after seeing Marlon Samuels throw over his arm over a couple of times, he looks like a carbon copy of Gayle, no nonsense, no frills but bloody effective off spin.

Have not seen much of Samuels against the Zimbabweans but looking at his figures he seems to have down the job well. Though I question his usefulness (as a batsman) so low down at six but what both men have over Mohammed is both can hold a better not just competently but effectively.

Performances of Carlton Baugh must be a bonus for the West Indies. His glove work was more impressive than Denesh Ramdin (of late) and unlike Ramdin who after impressing in Australia seems to be having a crisis of not confidence but sanity, with his desire to chuck away his wicket at any opportunity, Baugh's form might be the kick up the *** the kid Ramdin needs.

Also Runako Morton seems to have secured himself not only a berth but his looking like an integral part of the team. Completely bottom handed but I like his fight and desire, he seems to love playing for his country and in a team which is struggling at least the guy as the bulls to stick it out.

The series was a charade of international one day cricket but I will say something positive about the Zimbabweans, some of Kevin Curran’s boys are unbelievable impressive fielders. Prosper Utseya’s catch (the one he made for himself) was out of this world and throughout the series I thought the fielding was good by both sides, Dwayne Smith and Bravo were typically exceptional but even Lara looked fitter and more mobile in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    Performances of Carlton Baugh must be a bonus for the West Indies. His glove work was more impressive than Denesh Ramdin (of late) and unlike Ramdin who after impressing in Australia seems to be having a crisis of not confidence but sanity, with his desire to chuck away his wicket at any opportunity, Baugh's form might be the kick up the *** the kid Ramdin needs.
    AFAIC, Baugh can play ODI cricket for the moment, but I'd still take Ramdin in Tests. That's mostly because I trust Ramdin's wicketkeeping more, even in his current state of insanity.

Baugh bats all or nothing though, so it's a risk to have him and Dwayne Smith in the top 7 IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    Also Runako Morton seems to have secured himself not only a berth but his looking like an integral part of the team. Completely bottom handed but I like his fight and desire, he seems to love playing for his country and in a team which is struggling at least the guy as the bulls to stick it out.
    He shouldn't be opening the batting against India though. I'd open with Gayle and Chanderpaul, stick Morton at 3, Lara at 4, Sarwan at 5.
    The series was a charade of international one day cricket but I will say something positive about the Zimbabweans, some of Kevin Curran’s boys are unbelievable impressive fielders. Prosper Utseya’s catch (the one he made for himself) was out of this world and throughout the series I thought the fielding was good by both sides, Dwayne Smith and Bravo were typically exceptional but even Lara looked fitter and more mobile in the field.
    I've always found Brian Lara an under-rated fielder. He was brilliant in the 2004 CT and in
    South Africa on our last tour there. Great hands and surprisingly snappy reactions. He's particularly outstanding at short extra cover and short midwicket. One catch he took off Lance Klusener was almost unbelievable.

More positives out of that series for Zimbabwe than the West Indies IMO.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread Information