• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Zimbabwe in the West Indies

Chubb

International Regular
HIS, 1st year, exams already over. Just staying up for the cricket, going back to Devon at the end of May.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
What is it with dave, hes just an average spinner who doesnt turn it... He might cause zim a few probs but india will murder him!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
albo97056 said:
What is it with dave, hes just an average spinner who doesnt turn it... He might cause zim a few probs but india will murder him!
And you've seen how much of Dave Mohammed? I only ask because I wish to attain your level of knowledge as to just how he bowls. I mean, it's not like I get to witness his greatness very often. :(

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
well, ive only seen higgins bowl in the first match where he was all over the place, so no i didnt have a fierce conviction.
And ive seen a fair bit of mohammed, I saw him bowl in the test series v england at manchester i think it was in 2004 and in the one day game the other day. I think thats enough to see just how good he is and from what ive seen, hes nothing special, just a standard left arm chinaman with little turn. I was just askin because there are so many coments about him on the forum. I'm not saying hes not worth his place, just not anything worrth the fuss.

Mr Mxyzptlk

albo97056 said:
And ive seen a fair bit of mohammed, I saw him bowl in the test series v england at manchester i think it was in 2004 and in the one day game the other day. I think thats enough to see just how good he is and from what ive seen, hes nothing special, just a standard left arm chinaman with little turn. I was just askin because there are so many coments about him on the forum. I'm not saying hes not worth his place, just not anything worrth the fuss.
Two matches?? Whoa. *bows...?*

First off, two matches is not a 'fair bit'. Also worth noting that how he bowled in a Test match in 2004 has nothing to do with how he bowls now.
Second, the fuss isn't entirely serious, but Dave Mohammed has a lot more variety than you give him credit for.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
i dunno, i think in 1 game you can tell a lot about a bowler. And few of the wickets he got would have been taken against india

Mr Mxyzptlk

albo97056 said:
i dunno, i think in 1 game you can tell a lot about a bowler. And few of the wickets he got would have been taken against india
Yet he neither bowled poorly nor would he have bowled the same against India, so it's impossible to judge him in that way until he does.

I've seen a lot more than one game and I've seen him bowl against various batsmen in various conditions and various match situations. Dave Mohammed may not be international standard yet (I can't say until he plays international cricket) but he's a good bowler.

Mr Mxyzptlk

superkingdave said:
How come Dave's been dropped today Liam?

Utseya took a pretty awesome catch
Rotation policy. Idiotic rotation policy. I can't see what was the benefit of playing Taylor and Bradshaw ahead of Mohammed and Collymore today. Collymore especially needs match practice and Taylor is already in form, whereas Bradshaw has been playing a fair bit of cricket this year.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gotta say I enjoyed the sixes of Lara. India need to watch out for him, but then again, for some reason, he always seems to be below par against us.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It is rather unfortunate for Dave Mohammed he looked pretty decent against Zimbabwe not saying a lot I know but he has the regrettable task of ‘competing’ against Chris Gayle, one of the world’s best cricketing misers. Also after seeing Marlon Samuels throw over his arm over a couple of times, he looks like a carbon copy of Gayle, no nonsense, no frills but bloody effective off spin.

Have not seen much of Samuels against the Zimbabweans but looking at his figures he seems to have down the job well. Though I question his usefulness (as a batsman) so low down at six but what both men have over Mohammed is both can hold a better not just competently but effectively.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Performances of Carlton Baugh must be a bonus for the West Indies. His glove work was more impressive than Denesh Ramdin (of late) and unlike Ramdin who after impressing in Australia seems to be having a crisis of not confidence but sanity, with his desire to chuck away his wicket at any opportunity, Baugh's form might be the kick up the *** the kid Ramdin needs.

Also Runako Morton seems to have secured himself not only a berth but his looking like an integral part of the team. Completely bottom handed but I like his fight and desire, he seems to love playing for his country and in a team which is struggling at least the guy as the bulls to stick it out.

The series was a charade of international one day cricket but I will say something positive about the Zimbabweans, some of Kevin Curran’s boys are unbelievable impressive fielders. Prosper Utseya’s catch (the one he made for himself) was out of this world and throughout the series I thought the fielding was good by both sides, Dwayne Smith and Bravo were typically exceptional but even Lara looked fitter and more mobile in the field.

Mr Mxyzptlk

TT Boy said:
Performances of Carlton Baugh must be a bonus for the West Indies. His glove work was more impressive than Denesh Ramdin (of late) and unlike Ramdin who after impressing in Australia seems to be having a crisis of not confidence but sanity, with his desire to chuck away his wicket at any opportunity, Baugh's form might be the kick up the *** the kid Ramdin needs.
AFAIC, Baugh can play ODI cricket for the moment, but I'd still take Ramdin in Tests. That's mostly because I trust Ramdin's wicketkeeping more, even in his current state of insanity.

Baugh bats all or nothing though, so it's a risk to have him and Dwayne Smith in the top 7 IMO.
TT Boy said:
Also Runako Morton seems to have secured himself not only a berth but his looking like an integral part of the team. Completely bottom handed but I like his fight and desire, he seems to love playing for his country and in a team which is struggling at least the guy as the bulls to stick it out.
He shouldn't be opening the batting against India though. I'd open with Gayle and Chanderpaul, stick Morton at 3, Lara at 4, Sarwan at 5.
The series was a charade of international one day cricket but I will say something positive about the Zimbabweans, some of Kevin Curran’s boys are unbelievable impressive fielders. Prosper Utseya’s catch (the one he made for himself) was out of this world and throughout the series I thought the fielding was good by both sides, Dwayne Smith and Bravo were typically exceptional but even Lara looked fitter and more mobile in the field.
I've always found Brian Lara an under-rated fielder. He was brilliant in the 2004 CT and in
South Africa on our last tour there. Great hands and surprisingly snappy reactions. He's particularly outstanding at short extra cover and short midwicket. One catch he took off Lance Klusener was almost unbelievable.

More positives out of that series for Zimbabwe than the West Indies IMO.