Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: True Or False?: Sledging

Well, I dont know much about Brandes/Mcgrath story, but I have never heard/read Mcgrath denying it. Healy denies it by saying that they never played International cricket together. Guess what I looked @ Cricinfo and he is proved wrong, they did play together.

I am not trying to judge Mcgrath's character here, I have read his interviews and he appears to be a great guy, but I have also watched him on cricket field and I know that he can be a mouthful on a cricket field. So I dont have hard time believing the story. Now if Mcgrath and Brandes both deny that this ever happened, then I may (and I may) accept that it happened, but I certaintly wouldn't accept the version from a guy who has not only been a party to worst sledges in the cricket history but is also factually wrong about his statement.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Well, I dont know much about Brandes/Mcgrath story, but I have never heard/read Mcgrath denying it. Healy denies it by saying that they never played International cricket together. Guess what I looked @ Cricinfo and he is proved wrong, they did play together.

I am not trying to judge Mcgrath's character here, I have read his interviews and he appears to be a great guy, but I have also watched him on cricket field and I know that he can be a mouthful on a cricket field. So I dont have hard time believing the story. Now if Mcgrath and Brandes both deny that this ever happened, then I may (and I may) accept that it happened, but I certaintly wouldn't accept the version from a guy who has not only been a party to worst sledges in the cricket history but is also factually wrong about his statement.
    McGrath denied it as well, as you can see in the original post.

I think the confusion with Healy is that the sledge is usually credited with the tour that Australia made to Zimbabwe early in the 90s when Brandes was at the height of his career, when of course McGrath wasn't actually playing. Brandes returned to Australia in 96 and did indeed play against McGrath, but the confusion may lie in the fact that the sledge is meant to have happened before that tour, which is why Healy said they only met in a tour match on that tour (which is true).

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, I just don't see why you would assume the players in above situations are lying. For McGrath to deny the Sarwan incident in 10 years, he'd be arguing directly with recorded footage, as well as Sarwan himself and the other players involved in the game. McGrath is just denying something that is no more than a rumour. It's a very different situation.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    I sure hope that Brandes-McGrath sledge is real. Every time I read it I laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    McGrath denied it as well, as you can see in the original post.

I think the confusion with Healy is that the sledge is usually credited with the tour that Australia made to Zimbabwe early in the 90s when Brandes was at the height of his career, when of course McGrath wasn't actually playing. Brandes returned to Australia in 96 and did indeed play against McGrath, but the confusion may lie in the fact that the sledge is meant to have happened before that tour, which is why Healy said they only met in a tour match on that tour (which is true).
    There's also the extremely plausible point that Brandes never faced McGrath?

2 innings, both short (ie a couple of overs each) and someone else bowling at least half of the time.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    There's also the extremely plausible point that Brandes never faced McGrath?

2 innings, both short (ie a couple of overs each) and someone else bowling at least half of the time.
    That's also a very good point. I forgot that Brandes was a tail ender.

Whether it's true or not, it's classic, and I told a slightly large mate of mine to use it when he gets abuse for his weight
    GIMH

CW LEGEND. HEAD OF FEATURES 2009-11. BOTM CHAMPION 2011 & 15. LORD PROTECTOR 2019-20. PLATINUM LOUNGE FOUNDING MEMBER. TORY **** 2005-13. DELUDED CENTRIST 2013-15. PART OF EVERY PROBLEM 2016-PRESENT. THE GOVERNMENT IS A CONCEPT BY WHICH WE MEASURE OUR PAIN.

SWA/UP THE ENGLISH

Cricket Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    I sure hope that Brandes-McGrath sledge is real. Every time I read it I laugh.
    LOL. I'm a fan of Merv's: "Tickets please!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information