• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which International Cricketers Would Make the Aussie Side?

adharcric

International Coach
Assume a full-strength Aussie side of the past 3 years, something like this.
Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Hussey, Clarke, Gilchrist, Warne, Lee, Gillespie/Clark/Kasprowicz, McGrath, a few reserves (macgill, watson, hodge, clown)
If you want, you can go back further to Waugh, Lehmann and the likes ... you get the point, this side has been top-class for the past decade or so now.

So from the other cricketing nations, who would crack the Aussie side? If a player is currently out of touch (tendulkar, lara, ganguly, gillespie), assume he's at his usual best.

I'll start with India.

Dravid, Tendulkar and Harbhajan would make the Aussie side IMO. Kumble would get overshadowed and Gangs and Sehwag wouldn't cut it fitness/discipline-wise. Yes, Kumble and Ganguly are all-time greats but I don't see them going as far if they were Aussies. Harbhajan would beat out MacGill for his offies.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From New Zealand I think Bond would be the only one for Gillespie/Clark/Kasprowicz. Vettori would be close, as would Astle or even Fleming for Martyn/Clarke. But Bond would definately be in there.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
No way Harbhajan would make it ahead of Kumble, and Kumble would only play at the SCG or the subcontinent, most likely.

I'd say Tendulkar and Dravid would make it, of course.

From England, Flintoff would make it, but that'd be it from the batting I think. Simon Jones would cruise in to the third seamer spot, as would Hoggard if Jones was unavailable.

adharcric

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
No way Harbhajan would make it ahead of Kumble, and Kumble would only play at the SCG or the subcontinent, most likely.
Don't you think he'd be overlooked the same way MacGill has been though, with Warne in the spotlight? Especially since he's not a huge turner of the ball, just doesn't strike you as a standout leggie at first glance. I don't know what it is with India and unconventional leggies these days, Chawla seems like another Kumble-type, not crazy leg-break but very clever variations and accuracy.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Any one (or two) of England's seam attack dependent upon whether you play 3 or 4 (McGrath and Lee of your existing pace attack on current form would be worth a place of course, but no-one else) - and of course Flintoff and (possibly) Pietersen - especially in ODI's.

I wouldn't go any further than that.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Any one (or two) of England's seam attack dependent upon whether you play 3 or 4 (McGrath and Lee of your existing pace attack on current form would be worth a place of course, but no-one else) - and of course Flintoff and (possibly) Pietersen - especially in ODI's.

I wouldn't go any further than that.
Yeah, ODIs are different - Tresco would probably beat Katich in that form too.

oz_fan

International Regular
NZ - Bond
SA - Kallis, Pollock, Ntini
Eng - Flintoff, Pieterson (maybe not for tests), possibly Hoggard
WI - Lara
India - Tendulkar, Dravid (not at 3)
SL - Murali
Pakistan - Inzy

adharcric

International Coach
oz_fan said:
Pakistan - Inzy
I doubt Inzy would make it. He has poor fitness, is a poor runner between the wickets and slow in the field. If Ganguly doesn't make it, neither does Inzy (apart from Ganguly's short-ball issues).

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Not really, I don't think we'll get exactly XI. Also, Sehwag would be in World XIs but not here.
Umm yes we are. Its basically making a world XI as each of the best players in each country will make the "aussie" side.

C_C

International Captain
Combined world XI of currently active players :

Sehwag
Langer
Dravid
Tendulkar
Lara
Ponting
Gillchrist
Flintoff
Warne
Murali
McGrath

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
From India - Dravid
England - Freddie, Hoggard, Jones(the Bowler)
NZ - 007
Pak - Akhtar
SA - Nitni, Kallis
SL - Murali
BD - Ashraful
WI - None
Zim - None

PS :- On current form, Sachin and Lara wont make it to the current Aussie squad.

adharcric

International Coach
GoT_SpIn said:
Umm yes we are. Its basically making a world XI as each of the best players in each country will make the "aussie" side.
You don't quite understand the thread then. I mentioned Kumble, Ganguly, Sehwag and Inzamam as some world-class cricketers who might not have the same career in Australia because of the circumstances there: a) Shane Warne b) emphasis on fitness/fielding

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Well if we can go back and choose Aus players at their best (and opposition performers too) over the decade Gillespie is back in, so is Waugh.

Langer/Kirsten
Hayden
Ponting
Lara
Tendulkar
Waugh*
Flintoff
Gilchrist+
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath

Murali

At the SCG Murali replaces Gillespie. Ponting at 3 on current form, a few years back he'd come in behind BCL and SRT.

Last edited:

oz_fan

International Regular
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Lara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Gilchrist
Flintoff
Pollock
Warne
McGrath

Murali for Pollock if the conditions suit.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
:laugh: You serious man? Ashraful?
What is so funny about that ? You think Andrew Symonds is a better test batsman than Md. Ashraful ? Or may be just because he is from Bangladesh, he automatically becomes inferior to all aussie cricketers ?

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
What is so funny about that ? You think Andrew Symonds is a better test batsman than Md. Ashraful ? Or may be just because he is from Bangladesh, he automatically becomes inferior to all aussie cricketers ?
Certainly not, I rate Ashraful highly and his being Bangladeshi isn't an issue at all. Symonds shouldn't be in the test side anyways. I'm not sure Ashraful would make it over the likes of Clarke (and Waugh, Lehmann if you go further back) simply based on the few gems he's produced. Can you put him in the bracket of Lara, Tendulkar and Flintoff just like that?