• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why did England select Dawson again?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Can anyone tell me why Richard Dawson who struggled like hell this season gets picked for the Ashes Tour when even on spinning pitches in India he was useless? I've not seen anything Impressive about him at all and I bet Australia's batsmen are itching to get after him, it will come as welcome releaf from Hussain and Giles' bordem tactics! Vettori gave them a few problems in the drawn series and England's only bowler of similer style is Tuffers, and why isn't he there? I think its time to stop ignoring players on matters other than their ability! And Tuffers is still the best spinner in England, how many spinners in England who are still playing have over 1000 FC wickets?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just to wind you up, Rik.;)

I am beyond trying to understand the mental machinations of the England test selectors.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Why did England select Dawson again?

Can anyone tell me why Richard Dawson who struggled like hell this season gets picked for the Ashes Tour when even on spinning pitches in India he was useless? I've not seen anything Impressive about him at all and I bet Australia's batsmen are itching to get after him, it will come as welcome releaf from Hussain and Giles' bordem tactics! Vettori gave them a few problems in the drawn series and

England's only bowler of similer style is Tuffers, and why isn't he there? I think its time to stop ignoring players on matters other than their ability! And Tuffers is still the best spinner in England, how many spinners in England who are still playing have over 1000 FC wickets?
From what i have learnt of the english selection, my best guess is the player directory and the thumb :yawn:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I can understand them continuing with selecting people to see what they can do but Dawson was ignored all summer because he wasn't taking any wickets then he takes a few and is picked again, its just very confusing, hes already shown he is out of his depth in tests!:(!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Give the lad a chance!

He's an more of an attacking spinner than Giles, which is good for a change of angle of attack, and he was not spectacularly out of his depth in India. Unlike Salisbury has been many a time.

He deserves a chance, and besides, Tufnell is well past his best. Who else would be England's #2 spinner?

Jeremy Snape? Adam Hinton? ;)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I really don't think he is the future of English spin, ok Schofield needs his action tightened up but he has the temperment, I just wish Jason Brown would wake up and start bowling well again, he looked a really good player!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Dawson was not really out of his depth in India. He didn't get a bagful of wickets, but he wasn't treated with contempt either which is what Indians do to most spinners(who bowl on the stumps, that is:P).

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
All I can remember is Sachin canning him around most of the time...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Some more interisting stats on Richard Dawson:

Last year he took 30 wickets in 9 FC games at an average of 33 and was called up for the England tours of India and NZ. This year he took 40 wickets in 15 FC games at an average of 38. This is an increase of 10 wickets from the previous season in 6 more games and with an average 5 runs higher. Hardly inspiring stuff. Well at least he averaged more than twice as much with the bat (9.50 up to 22.21).

Also the reason why Croft hasn't been asked to go on tour this time:

His Batting average is up from 27 to 35 but his bowling average is also up from 38 to 42!

Good news for the Academy though with Chris Schofield:

Batting average up from 32.50 to 32.75 but bowling average down from 54 to 18! I hope this is going to keep up as he is the best Legspinner England have and turns the ball a long way.

Ohhhhh stats, they can be fun can't they?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Croft hasn't been asked because of his refusal to tour India.

Schofield had trouble getting in the team early in the season didn't, but recovered well.

I think Dawson's lower returns may be partly because when Lehmann was captain he bowled himself ahead of Dawson?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but it begs the question why Croft is even selected for his county with bowling returns like that, and he hasn't taken wickets at under 30 for ages!

Schofield just needs to do it more consistantly but its good to see his average is under 30 now, he is the only full time leggie in England to have a career average under 30.

It seems as if something is just generally wrong with English conditions for offspinners, that or they are all rubbish as the 2 offies I've mentioned as well as Brown of Northamptonshire have all had their averages rise, quite worrying as Brown was once looked to as England's new spin hope!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Wrong firstname...

Matthew or whatever your brother's called then...

I was being sarcastic...

[Edited on 4/10/02 by Neil Pickup]

oyesachinoye

Cricket Spectator
Originally posted by Neil Pickup
Give the lad a chance!

He's an more of an attacking spinner than Giles, which is good for a change of angle of attack, and he was not spectacularly out of his depth in India. Unlike Salisbury has been many a time.

He deserves a chance, and besides, Tufnell is well past his best. Who else would be England's #2 spinner?

Jeremy Snape? Adam Hinton? ;)

Another English spinner...LOL, England will probably never come up with a quality spinner, any tom, dick and harry will be selected into the team to spin the ball..in Vain ofcourse:lol

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
And similerly but unfortunatly Aussies will never give England a chance, ok who's your next spin hope? Hauritz? About as much hope as Dawson!

oyesachinoye

Cricket Spectator
Originally posted by marc71178
Similarly India will probably never come up with a quality pace bowler. ;):D
I knew a brit would come up with such a reply, but didn't knew that in excitement he would be repeating it over and over again!

For ur Kind info, Javagal SriNath is a world class bowler, he's even playing county matches at the moment.Just two months back, Brian Lara said that Nath is a class bowler and would get respect wherever he goes!

But i've heard Bangladeshi Captain praising Robert Croft:D, maybe England do have a decent spinner after all!!!

chris.hinton

International Captain
Originally posted by Neil Pickup
Wrong firstname...

Matthew or whatever your brother's called then...

I was being sarcastic...

[Edited on 4/10/02 by Neil Pickup]
Really..... you dont say