• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your first match?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What was the first cricket match you ever went to see?

I have been told that it was Hamphire v Pakistan in 1992 but the first match i remember seeing was Hampshire v Young Australia in 1995 when i was 7. I saw Stewart Law make a big 100 and a young Ponting and Gilchrist both made half centuries.

The first tests matches i saw was England v South Africa in 1998. In which is saw Freddy make his debut i think and the infamous Cronje a century

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Some Norwegian Division Two match.

There were three spectators on a gloriously sunny afternoon :happy:

(reasonably top-level: Warwickshire v Somerset, Twenty20, June 2004.)

Chubb

International Regular
First pro match- my grandad took me to see Essex play Glamorgan in 1994 (I think). Gooch was still playing, but I can't remember much more except getting my scorecard full of autographs.

First match I really remember- Essex v. Warwickshire, a CC match a week before they played each other at Lord's for the B & H. I went with my friend from Essex and my grandad, I was ten I think. Cowan was being interviewed for the "build-up" to the final, and we tried to get in the background of the shot, but got shooed away. Later, we tried to speak to Nasser, but he ignored us, and Cowan, who didn't.

Club match- I was probably less than a year old the first time I saw one. That I remember, my grandad taking 9 wickets for Hutton Vs. I owe that man a lot.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Chubb said:
John Spooner. why?
Because he recently won a poll in Hutton for the best player to play for Hutton in their 50s.

And I guessed whoever it was would have played in their 50s because he's your Grandad.

adharcric

International Coach
Real tragedy here ... I haven't been to an international match yet as I immigrated from India when I was 6 and we only have amateur cricket over here. Next year at the World Cup will be my first, hopefully IND vs SL and IND vs SA/AUS.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
First match I saw was nearly enough to put me off cricket for good - apparently I was in my push-chair (that'd make me about 11 at the time ;)) and I was nearly hit by the ball.

First proper match was This one

First test match was This one

adharcric

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
First match I saw was nearly enough to put me off cricket for good - apparently I was in my push-chair (that'd make me about 11 at the time ;)) and I was nearly hit by the ball.

First proper match was This one

First test match was This one
Seems you were a good-luck charm for the legendary Pollock.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
First match was a state match between NSW and a unknown team. All i remember is Mark Waugh hitting a 6 on top of the Bill O'reilly roof

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
GoT_SpIn said:
First match was a state match between NSW and a unknown team. All i remember is Mark Waugh hitting a 6 on top of the Bill O'reilly roof
Blooming kids.

It'd serve them right if Mr O'Reilly didn't give them their ball back. I hate that when people play in the street near the houses - someone could get hurt.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
adharcric said:
I reckon more of a bad-luck charm for kent:laugh:

I haven't been to many matches actually, i only re-started watching cricket regularly during the ashes.

I was channel-surfing, stopped on the edgbaston test and thought "wait a minute, i know this"

I can't remember my first match properly but it was featuring either Derbyshire or England as i remember devon malcolm scoring two big shots and then getting bowled going for another one.

First match i can remember was this summer with Notts destroying gloucs in two days.:happy:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
adharcric said:
He's my all-time sporting hero - so you can probably understand why I give Richard such a hard time when he comes out with his vitriolic prattle about English people hating South Africans.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure of the exact match, but it was a Northern Districts one-day match in the late 1980s. My first international, of sorts, was a Richard Hadlee testimonial match in Hamilton.