• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan's Captaincy: Inzamam or Younis?

Pakistan Captain: Inzamam or Younis?

• Inzamam-ul-Haq

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Younis Khan

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters

adharcric

International Coach
Cricinfo recently published an editorial on Pakistan's captaincy conundrum, specifically whether the captain should be Inzamam-ul-Haq or Younis Khan.

Captaincy to Inzamam
~ served Pakistan well thus far and is likely to depart after the World Cup anyways
~ has expressed his refusal to play without captaincy
~ his place in the one-day side is more certain that Younis'

Captaincy to Younis
~ age and energy on his side ... fitness isn't an issue for him as it is for Inzamam
~ has evolved as a batsman in recent times and taken greater responsibility
~ perhaps doesn't have the aura of Inzamam but is a popular captain

So who should be captain? Take your pick.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Quite ironic that you posted this because I was thinking of this earlier today.

If there was a way where Inzy could be 'public' captain, whereby he has the authority over the players who respect him and could unite the team, do the interviews and all other public requirements of a captain, yet Younis makes the tactical moves and decisions during the game, it'd be perfect. Because at the moment Inzy loses during the game, but Younis seemingly doesn't have the respect from all players.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I prefer Younis Khan. He does have the respect of all the guys except the bad boy Afridi. But Afridi is a pampered baby of PCB and pak cricket fans, he doesn't respect anyone.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
adharcric said:
~ .
Then Pak has no choice but to stick to him.

As for respect from players, till sometimes back Inzi had problems with Akhtar, but now its fine since Inzi had the backing of PCB.If Younis is made the captain, and PCb backs him then everyone would listen to Younis and there won't be any problem.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
For me, Inzi. He may not be the smartest of captains, but Pakistan have been a transformed team under him. Also, his batting seems to have taken a significant turn for the better as a captain, when your senior players perform it gives a lift to the team.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
I prefer Younis Khan. He does have the respect of all the guys except the bad boy Afridi. But Afridi is a pampered baby of PCB and pak cricket fans, he doesn't respect anyone.
He respects Inzamam...

I personally do not think this is a question which should be even discussed at this moment in time (until after the WC), two test series wins and other than the hiding against India progression and consistency in the ODI arena.

Also Younis Khan can not be considered captain of the Pakistan ODI team, when his place is not even guaranteed. He has no fixed position and his form in the one day arena is not up to mark, his been carried by the rest of the team for far too long.

Though Khan captain of the test team after 2007 I can see, his a far better tactician and thinker than Inzamam and far more vocal. He also knows how to get his boys fired up, sometimes in the wrong way but he does ask the questions which need asking.

What has happened to Mohammad Yousuf for captain, his been ear marked for years as the next in line and now he has became a Muslim, the boxes have been seemingly ticked.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Armadillo said:
For me, Inzi. He may not be the smartest of captains, but Pakistan have been a transformed team under him. Also, his batting seems to have taken a significant turn for the better as a captain, when your senior players perform it gives a lift to the team.
That's exactly my feeling as well. I don't think there is any need to mess with the captaincy issue for Pak. Let Inzi be the captain until the WC, after which he will most likely retire. Then Yunis takes over (hopefully) without controversy. Besides, it's not like Pak have fallen apart under Inzi's captaincy.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
TT Boy said:
What has happened to Mohammad Yousuf for captain, his been ear marked for years as the next in line and now he has became a Muslim, the boxes have been seemingly ticked.
I think they're looking to the future, Yousuf is in his mid thirties now and will probably retire after the world cup.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
Quite ironic that you posted this because I was thinking of this earlier today.

If there was a way where Inzy could be 'public' captain, whereby he has the authority over the players who respect him and could unite the team, do the interviews and all other public requirements of a captain, yet Younis makes the tactical moves and decisions during the game, it'd be perfect. Because at the moment Inzy loses during the game, but Younis seemingly doesn't have the respect from all players.
Almost exactly the same as the Ganguly\Kumble situation a couple of years back.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
I'd suggest you read this before making such ridiculous comments.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TT Boy said:
His religion clearly has precisely nothing to do with it.
He was removed as vice-captain long before his conversion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Armadillo said:
I think they're looking to the future, Yousuf is in his mid thirties now and will probably retire after the world cup.
Mohammad Yousuf, on the day of this post, was 31yrs 218days old.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
adharcric said:
Cricinfo recently published an editorial on Pakistan's captaincy conundrum, specifically whether the captain should be Inzamam-ul-Haq or Younis Khan.

Captaincy to Inzamam
~ served Pakistan well thus far and is likely to depart after the World Cup anyways
~ his place in the one-day side is more certain that Younis'

Captaincy to Younis
~ age and energy on his side ... fitness isn't an issue for him as it is for Inzamam
~ has evolved as a batsman in recent times and taken greater responsibility
~ perhaps doesn't have the aura of Inzamam but is a popular captain

So who should be captain? Take your pick.
Well Younis shouldn't even be in the ODI team, so that rules him out there.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Mohammad Yousuf, on the day of this post, was 31yrs 218days old.
Meh, techniqalities.
After the world cup he will be 32 or 33 and IMO thats no time for a captain to be taking over.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Armadillo said:
Meh, techniqalities.
After the world cup he will be 32 or 33 and IMO thats no time for a captain to be taking over.
Michael Brearley was 34 before he even made his debut, was 35 when appointed captain.
I agree that he'll probably not be best served taking over the captaincy, but I'd not be surprised if he played in WC2011.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Armadillo said:
Ho Ho, I thought you were Younis Khan's firm believer.
I find Younis Khan a very, very fine Test player.
I find him a very poor ODI player.
That confuses many people who get the game-forms mixed-up.