• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jayasuriya to retire from Tests

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo staff

March 31, 2006

Sanath Jayasuriya, the Sri Lankan opener, has announced that he will retire from Test cricket following the current series against Pakistan. However, he will continue his one-day international career and is available for the World Cup next year.

Jayasuriya, 36, has been one of the stars of Sri Lanka's batting for over a decade. His decision means he won't tour England this summer, the scene of arguably his finest hour when he made 219 at The Oval in 1998. He is Sri Lanka's most prolific batsman in both forms of the game.

Following the announcement he said: "I thought about it long and hard and decided that's it. It's a very emotional moment, but I guess every good thing has to come to an end."

Jayasuriya has been plagued by injury problems in recent times and only made the first Test against Pakistan after a late fitness test. However, he made just six and 13 in Colombo and that performance, along with the development of young batsmen such as Upul Tharanga, probably played a part in his decision.
A sad day for Sri Lanka with one of our greats retiring from Test Cricket, but hopefully this prelongs his ODI Career. Where he still plays a major role, like he showed in Australia. A big game for Vandort next game when he comes into the side. I guess it time now to see how our long depth really is. Is there life after Atapattu and Jayasuriya. Vandort, Daniel and Tharanga have been deveopled for a while to take over from these guys, but there are still big questions whether Daniel or Vandort are ready. With Atapattu hopefully coming back soon, they may only be short term replacements, but a good game, could keep them in the eye of the selectors.

EDIT: Didn't read the article properly, he retiring after this Test Series, so Vandort won't play in the next game, unless they play an extra batsmen and his the one chosen.

Last edited:

cricketboy29

International Regular
Sad Time for Sri Lankan Cricket, Jayasuria was a monster, he seemed to loved the Indian attack too, many a quick bowler must be thankful:p

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanath's career peaked at the World Cup 1996 and then he had a few minor peaks , but IMO, overall he was a great batsman, who promised more than what he actually delivered.

You always expected him to do more only to be frequently disappointed , although in ODIs he did remarkably particularly as a guy with an exceptional strike rate and on his day can destroy bowlers .
He was also a very useful spinner, and not infrequently has made the break through for SL as Murali goes flat and wicketless occasionally.
His disappointment no doubt as he retires from Tests would be his failure to get the 5-6 wickets required to get to 100 wickets in tests (and thus putting him among a group of cricketers with 100 wickets /3000 plus runs -an allounder category of sorts)

One hopes as retires from Test Cricket , that it means his performance in ODIs will get better , since he will have more time between them.

I also hope he can secure some sort of a county deal in England that would help him stay in touch with top class cricket right through the year (and also remain fit as the World Cup comes around the corner).
SL rely on Sanath immensely in ODIs and it is my fervent hope he can see it through for us (in 2007) .

adharcric

International Coach
Would you guys say Jayasuriya is for Sri Lanka what Sehwag is for India? A measly average of 32, but when he's on song, he'll take the opposition out of the game.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
Would you guys say Jayasuriya is for Sri Lanka what Sehwag is for India? A measly average of 32, but when he's on song, he'll take the opposition out of the game.
This is probably not a nice thing to say on a tribute thread to Sanath, but I would say Sehwag has delivered more already than Sanath at a similar period in his career. May be Sehwag's contributions have been greater for India in tests while Sanath's greater contributions have possibly been in ODIs.

adharcric

International Coach
JASON said:
This is probably not a nice thing to say on a tribute thread to Sanath, but I would say Sehwag has delivered more already than Sanath at a similar period in his career. May be Sehwag's contributions have been greater for India in tests while Sanath's greater contributions have possibly been in ODIs.
Nothing wrong in being honest. Are we going to call Shaun Udal the English version of Muralitharan when he retires just because we should be paying a tribute to him? Sure hope not.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sad to see, but I definitely think Tharanga has it in him to take over Sanath's spot in test cricket.

I've always loved Jayasuriya, but it doesn't take a genius to see that he made his mark in the limited overs form. I still don't think I've seen anyone play the square cut like he does, and that's including Gilly. One of my favourite moments this summer was Jayasuriya randomly flying in for the VB Series when I figured he was done and dusted, and smashing a ton in Sydney. It was like going back 10 years to 1996.

Hopefully he finishes his career well in the ODIs. :)

oz_fan

International Regular
Probably just the first of a long list of legends (Vaas, McGrath, Lara, etc) that will call it quits up to and after the world cup.

C_C

International Captain
Jayasurya was an excellent opener- both in ODIs and Tests. He shall be missed and his contributions to the game is considerable. Arguably the most successful of 'batsmen who can do the 5th bowler's job' after Kallis in ODI cricket, he also re-invented ODI batting alongside Kaluwitharana with their 'blitzkreig' approach. I think he was one of the top 4 openers of the 90s, the best exponent of the cut shot of his era and a cricketer who would be missed.

adharcric

International Coach
C_C said:
I think he was one of the top 4 openers of the 90s, the best exponent of the cut shot of his era and a cricketer who would be missed.
Where would he stand among Tendulkar, Ganguly, Anwar, Kirsten and Waugh? Am I leaving someone else out?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He was a wonderful cricketer. In his pomp, he was good almost everywhere, in one version of the game or the other, if not both. I think it was only in RSA that he found it very difficult. But even the greatest have their weaknesses. The guy has been a wonderful servant to Sri Lankan cricket and someone who has always given his 120% for his team. The fact that he is still amongst the quickest across the turf in Sri Lanka speaks volumes. A very good ODI batsman, a more than decent ODI bowler and a good fielder. A more than decent batter in Tests, a handy bowler as well. I think he has had a massive impact on Sri Lankan cricket and let's hope he goes out with a bang both in tests and in ODIs

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
33/3from3.3 said:
Sanath Jayasuria we hardly knew you...

well i didn't anyway
I guess in little Christchurch you only know your family , I suppose, which must be everyone in Christchurch more or less....:laugh: :laugh:

C_C

International Captain
adharcric said:
Where would he stand among Tendulkar, Ganguly, Anwar, Kirsten and Waugh? Am I leaving someone else out?
I meant that with respect to Tests and ODIs ( ie, 'pure opener'). I would rate him as the third or fourth best of the 90s, after Taylor,Anwar and Kirstien.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well Sri Lanka o do well to replace him, similar to the dilemma Australia faces when Warne & McGrath go off the scene.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
JASON said:
I guess in little Christchurch you only know your family , I suppose, which must be everyone in Christchurch more or less....:laugh: :laugh:
Q - How do you work out the population of Christchurch?

A - Count the eyes, divide by one

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
well Sri Lanka o do well to replace him, similar to the dilemma Australia faces when Warne & McGrath go off the scene.
Tharanga looks a pretty decent replacement and the kid plays in a rather similar way to Sanath.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanath was a supreme player who I loved watching, only behind Aravinda in the pantheon of Sri Lankan batsmen, and his bowling was superb in one-dayers.

Which is why this is a slightly premature obituary of his career, is great impact (wasn't he the playerof the '96 world cup) is and was in the short version of the game, and there may be another glorious chapter:)