• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andre Nel and sledging

fishyguy

U19 12th Man
Hey guys I didnt get to see the test match but I read that Andre Nel had some altercation with the Aussies and then got hammered all over the place. What was that incident about?

Also I just read an article now on cricinfo where Tony Greig's complaining about Aussies sledging.

Does anyone know what the Aussies were saying?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Andre Nel was being his usual chatty self, and Adam Gilchrist hit him for 22 runs off an over, and Nel gave Gilchrist a massive spray over it. Gilchrist replied with something like "you're giving me a serve because I hit you for a boundary, show some respect". Nel copped some criticism for it.

Regarding the Australian sledging, I don't know what they said, but apparently the stump mics were turned up for this game, and there were some complaints, so the Australian team requested they be turned down again.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
fishyguy said:
Also I just read an article now on cricinfo where Tony Greig's complaining about Aussies sledging.

Does anyone know what the Aussies were saying?
Supposely we can't because Tony Greig mentioned that Aus players wanted the stump mics turned down on the TV, but they could still hear it in the commentary box.

open365

International Vice-Captain
That article made no sense, Greig said that the stump mikes were so loud you could hear every word, i could barely hear a thing.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
open365 said:
That article made no sense, Greig said that the stump mikes were so loud you could hear every word, i could barely hear a thing.
Because you where listening to the TV feed.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
open365 said:
As opposed to?
The feed they get in the commentary box, see he explained that they can manually turn up the volume on the stump mics, but because of the Aussies request it won't be turned up so loud on the feed that is produced by the TV company for transmission.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Autobahn said:
The feed they get in the commentary box, see he explained that they can manually turn up the volume on the stump mics, but because of the Aussies request it won't be turned up so loud on the feed that is produced by the TV company for transmission.
But wasn't that complaint made after the incident?

Autobahn

State 12th Man
open365 said:
But wasn't that complaint made after the incident?
...He added that the broadcasters had to turn down the volume on the stump microphones after concerns about what was being said.
I suppose it might have been after the Nel incident, and anyway most players if they want to be really nasty get down in the middle of the pitch away from the stumps first.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FaaipDeOiad said:
Andre Nel was being his usual chatty self, and Adam Gilchrist hit him for 22 runs off an over, and Nel gave Gilchrist a massive spray over it. Gilchrist replied with something like "you're giving me a serve because I hit you for a boundary, show some respect". Nel copped some criticism for it.

Regarding the Australian sledging, I don't know what they said, but apparently the stump mics were turned up for this game, and there were some complaints, so the Australian team requested they be turned down again.
what the hell is up with that? They need to tone down their sledging. Asking to switch off stump mikes means they are guilty as charged, really... Not that I am surprised.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:

yeah most people would shut up after copping 22 in an over. Nel on the other hand, keeps going and is put in his place by Gilchrist

Buddhmaster

International Captain
One thing I don't understand about cricket is the lack of sledging from batsmen. Besides Gilly with Nel, I can't recall many instances where a batsmen has said anything to the bowler, its always the look down and pat the ground treatment. If the bowlers can sledge and stick to their game, why can't batsmen?

C_C

International Captain
Buddhmaster said:
One thing I don't understand about cricket is the lack of sledging from batsmen. Besides Gilly with Nel, I can't recall many instances where a batsmen has said anything to the bowler, its always the look down and pat the ground treatment. If the bowlers can sledge and stick to their game, why can't batsmen?
How about this novel idea : BAN sledging !

People keep saying sledging is a part of the game - i fail to see how this part is anything apart from 'deseased and festering'.

C_C

International Captain
age_master said:
Sledging is fun and part of the competitive spirit of cricket.
What part of absuing or getting abused is 'fun' ?
Why not throw in a punch or two in the name of fun and competitive spirit ?
Ever watched the WI of the 80s ? hardly said a word but if looks and body language could kill and convey hostility, they would win by a country mile and half.
Lets gun for that instead !