Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do England have a problem with finishing games off?

Cricket Spectator

Do England have a problem with finishing games off?

England's recent return to power has been great, but have some bad habits from the Atherton/Hussain era carried over? And by that i reckon that despite all of England's recent success, especially in tests, they have a problem with finishing games off. Here's a recent list that reflects this:

*Edgbaston vs Australia when we nearly lost the unloseable

*Old Trafford vs Aus - 30 overs left and 3 wickets to get but somehow couldnt reach the finishing line

*Trent Bridge vs Aus- nearly choked chasing 130 odd

*The Oval vs Aus - one day to go with a lead and nine wickets in hand, and had it not been for KP we probably would have lost that test. We should have closed that test out.

*1st Test vs Pakistan - chasing 197 odd and were cruising but somehow managed to blow it.

*3rd Test vs Pakistan - 2 down after tea on the last day and lose 8 wickets in no time to lose the unloseable

*2nd test vs India - skittled for 170 odd in the 2nd dig when a draw should have been very achievable.

*1st ODI vs India - cruising with less than 100 to get and with 7 wickets in hand but end up losing by 30-40 runs.

*2nd ODI vs India - had India 5 down with 130 to get but India get home with 4 wickets to spare.

Is this a concern? I reckon it is because a really good team such as England should be finishing most of these games off in more impressive fashion.

6 of those 9 above matches involved batting collapses which is an area i still have concerns for England. Bell (or whoever) and Pietersen are abit wobbly at 4 & 5. And i dont reckon Jones is good enough to be a no.7. Could be a problem during the Ashes if England lose early wickets, something they didnt really do with Tresco/Strauss putting on a few good opening partnerships.

Not sure about England, but India certainly don't have a problem finishing games off.

Jones is nowhere close to being good enough to bat #7 in a world-class team, which England certainly is. I haven't seen anything impressive from him at all lately. Even rate Harbhajan Singh above him as a batsman.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I think they definitely do. It was clearly visible during the Ashes, where England got into a strong position in each of the middle three tests and let it slip to where one was a draw and the others nearly lost. Then they've been in strong positions in Pakistan and in India in the tests on several occasions and let them get away.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

i think its a problem yea by those stats shown here we can see that, but i dont think its major since England still have a great test record over the past 2 years.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    Not sure about England, but India certainly don't have a problem finishing games off.

They seem to vs NZ in ODI's?
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    Jones is nowhere close to being good enough to bat #7 in a world-class team, which England certainly is. I haven't seen anything impressive from him at all lately. Even rate Harbhajan Singh above him as a batsman.
    Rubbish and you know it!
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Jones is a fairly average batsman, it must be said. He's certainly worse with the bat than the keepers in any of the other top 8 test sides. Gilchrist, Sangakkara, Dhoni, Akmal, Boucher, McCullum and Ramdin are all better batsmen generally, though Ramdin is probably pretty close.

He's still better than Harbhajan though.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender

India's ODI resurgence started with SL at home.

Since then, its been:

6-1 against SL
    2-2 against SA
    4-1 against PAK
    2-0 against ENG so far

They havent played NZ for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    India's ODI resurgence started with SL at home.

Since then, its been:

6-1 against SL
    2-2 against SA
    4-1 against PAK
    2-0 against ENG so far

They havent played NZ for a while.

Haven't all of those been at home, though?

Genuine question because I can't remember where the SL and Pak series were played.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

Genuine question because I can't remember where the SL and Pak series were played.

SL, SA and ENG have been at home, PAK was away.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    SL, SA and ENG have been at home, PAK was away.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Jones is a fairly average batsman, it must be said. He's certainly worse with the bat than the keepers in any of the other top 8 test sides. Gilchrist, Sangakkara, Dhoni, Akmal, Boucher, McCullum and Ramdin are all better batsmen generally, though Ramdin is probably pretty close.

He's still better than Harbhajan though.
    I'm not talking about potential or ability here; quite frankly, I haven't followed Geraint Jones as long as you England fans have. But based on what I've seen over the past few months, Harbhajan Singh has posed much more of a threat with the bat than Jones. Not only has he scored more runs, he's actually been able to stay at the crease.

This season: Jones has 58 runs @ 9.66, Bhajji has 74 runs @ 37.
    Even going back to last season, Jones made 70 against Australia but apart from that, the same rubbish. Now I'm not legitimately saying that Jones is tailender material, but that's what he's been playing like of late. I couldn't care less how Jones and Bhajji compare, the point here is that the former is seriously hurting this England team at #7 while other teams have guys like Dhoni/Pathan, Boucher/Pollock and Hussey/Clarke coming in at that point.
    Last edited by adharcric; 31-03-2006 at 06:30 PM.

India have been in positions to finish the game off against NZ recently? If my memory serves me correct, bar that game where Vettori and Bond didn't play, NZ have always had the upper hand pretty much in recent times. Even in that final they played in the triangular series in Zimbabwe, India were never in a position to finish NZ off.

So no they don't

Only time India managed to finish NZ off in recent times was in the World Cup
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar

But India had only beaten Zim in a home ODI series before this season in the past 3 or 4 years.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information