• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5 Greatest Test matches of the Decade

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
adharcric said:
Just about any match that Australia lost should be taken into consideration.
Over the past decade, defeating Australia has usually meant a truly special, extraordinary exhibition.
Yeah, I reckon. Did the aussies win any match that can be counted as good ?

RoyForPM

Cricket Spectator
I think we have all come to an agreement that Edgbaston 05' was the greatest test match of this decade.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The Laxman Test and the Lara test will run it very very close. Esp. the Lara test. Both results were possible till the last ball, which was the same as Edgebaston. And the Windies were basically a one man batting line up, AND the Aussie bowling then was much better AND the pitch was tougher to bat on.

Beleg

International Regular
Was that the match where Pakistan messed up two easy run outs?
Yup, not to mention one of the absolute worst displays of umpiring I have ever seen. (in west indies favour)

Multan test as well, that sure got the adernalin pumping.

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
well i havent seen too many
but i though NZ vs ENG chch 2001 (the match where Thorpe and Astle made 200s)
even though NZ lost

Autobahn

State 12th Man
I think Edgbastion just edges ahead of the other ones because it was also a recovery from a bad lords test, when everyone thought England where going to be crushed again.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
RoyForPM said:
I think we have all come to an agreement that Edgbaston 05' was the greatest test match of this decade.
Kolkata '01 does it for me. Just for the fact that Australia came out and established yet another commanding position and really looked like humiliating India by becoming for the first Australian team to win in India for 30 years or so and Laxman/Dravid took it away from them by racking up 700 against Warne and McGrath.

IIRC, then Ponting sent England in on a road. Australia were missing McGrath. England bowled well to Australia to claim the first innings before Lee and Warne brought Australia right back into the game. England did enough to pretty much ensure victory at stumps on day three before they choked and the tail could well have got them home. It was a brilliant topsy-turvy test that in turn won the Ashes for England but I still think that Kolkata was a much bigger challenge and required something REALLY special to get home.

1. Kolkata '01
2. Edgbaston '05
3. Bridgetown '99
4. Hobart '99
5. Multan '03

C_C

International Captain
Edbagston test....as good as it was was nowhere close to how good Ind vs OZ in Kolkata/ India vs PAK in Chennai or Aus vs WI in Bimshire was on level of cricket, closeness of the game and sheer incredible stuff happening in a game.

Best game would come down to one out of the 3 above for me...i personally would pick Ind vs OZ in Kolkata.
It was unexpected, it was monumental, it was the decieding match and most importantly, it was how the undisputed emperor was slowly but steadily turned into a pauper over just 2 days.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
For sheer dilicious terror (I think you'd have to be an England fan to really understand, and although it was "great" I do not wish to go through that ever again thank you, never have I hit the brandy so early) I'd put Edgbaston top.

But objectively, Calcutta takes #1.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Edbagston test....as good as it was was nowhere close to how good Ind vs OZ in Kolkata/ India vs PAK in Chennai or Aus vs WI in Bimshire was on level of cricket, closeness of the game and sheer incredible stuff happening in a game.
Why is that? Edgbaston was a superb test even before the final day heroics from Lee and Warne.

First you had England scoring 400 in a day, then Flintoff bowled brilliantly and some excellent batting from Langer and Gilchrist got Australia within 100 or so. Then on the third morning, Lee took a handful of quick wickets and Warne got 4 to have England in deep trouble at 6/75 and then 9/131.

After that, Flintoff put in one of the great individual afternoons of all-round cricket, smashing the ball everywhere in a 50 run stand for the last wicket to set Australia 281 to win, and then bowling one of the best overs you'll ever see as his first in the fourth innings, taking two wickets in it and beating the bat several times, and all this with an injured shoulder that required an injection at tea. Flintoff's burst and some idiotic batting left Australia with a slim chance that seemed to be snuffed out by Harmison's slower ball to get Clarke and end the day.

Then from that, you had the incredible final day, when Warne, Lee and Kasprowicz played brilliantly and seemed to have the game won.

You can argue about the level of play if you like (and I'd personally say it's without question better than in the India/Pakistan game), but as far as the game being close and having incredible things happening in it, I don't know why you'd rate the others higher. I'd say I've seen better quality test matches than Edgbaston '05, but I've never seen one which was so incredible.