• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Indian spinner ever? 85940384

Francis

State Vice-Captain
As a far of spin bowling, I enjoy studying the likes of Warne, Murali, O'Rielly, Grimmett and Laker, Benaud, Quadir, Mushtaq etc. But when it comes to Indian spin bowlers I really don't know much about them or who the best was. So I thought I'd ask:

Who is the greatest Indian spin bowler ever?

I'm guessing the names mentioned will be...

Gupte
Bedi
Chandra
Kumble

I want plenty of Indian's posting in this thread!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not really possible to know - quite possibly it was Subhush Gupte, but his figures don't do him justice because he didn't have the cordon Bedi-Chandra-Prasanna-Venkat did.
Suffice to say all were very, very fine bowlers - at home.
Few were that good away, aside possibly from Chandra.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Suffice to say all were very, very fine bowlers - at home.
Seems to be a thing with sub-continent bowlers my English brother. Away from the sub-continent they aren't as effective. I like Kumble, but he wouldn't make my list.

If I were to take a wild stupid guess I'd say Gupte. But I'd never try and argue it because I don't like assumptions.

I should add that Bedi was the only to make the top 50 on ESPN's Legends of Cricket.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
It sounds like India had a nice variety of bowlers actually. Bedi was apparently brilliant at flighting the ball and used that to his advanatage. Gupte apparently wasn't easy to pick and was similar to the original South African googily-bowlers of Hobbs' time. Don't know much about Chandra, but he gave King Viv some trouble once.

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
Erapalli Prasanna.
From what I have read, most of the Aussies who played against some of the best Indian spinners rate Prasanna No 1. I know Chappelli and Stackpole both put him in their all time World 11s.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
From what I have read, most of the Aussies who played against some of the best Indian spinners rate Prasanna No 1. I know Chappelli and Stackpole both put him in their all time World 11s.
He was outstanding. If the umpires gave leg before to batsmen sticking out their front leg and getting hit on it as they do now, he would have had zillions of wickets. Most players had no clue how to handle him and just kept thrusting their left leg out and getting doubtful benefits which were so common those days.

oz_fan

International Regular
Sobers recently said that Gupte was the greatest spinner ever, even better than Warne.

What-A-Player

School Boy/Girl Captain
The Baconator said:
As for the question, I don't know, but what's with the random numbers in the thread title?

Total number of overs bowled by Indian Spinners in the history of the game ?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
of the quartet, prasanna....followed by chandra, bedi and venkat for me.....as for kumble, would rate above venkat and maybe bedi but prasanna, chandra and gupte, i doubt it....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What is it about Bedi that resulted in him being so widely revered above the others? I've done as much reading as possible, but this question always stumps me.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
What is it about Bedi that resulted in him being so widely revered above the others? I've done as much reading as possible, but this question always stumps me.
no one who has posted so far has rated bedi above the others....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anil said:
no one who has posted so far has rated bedi above the others....
Lol. I realise that. But there has to be a reason why he's often placed in legends lists above others. I've read it many times. ESPN's is only one example.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd agree with Fratboys comments, Kumble is ranked above all the other Indian spinners in my mind.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
SJS is right. Prassanna would have ungodly amount of wickets if they gave more LBW's.

When you think 'unplayable', usually you think of pace bowlers, but Prasanna could be unplayable.