• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing tarts

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Ok, I know we've had similar threads before, but I reckon this is sufficiently different.

Basically I'm curious as to which cricket grounds around the world people have actually visited? I'm mainly interested in FC and international grounds (even though I'm sure your local club pitch is marvellous!).

Perhaps also some info on what game (if any) was being played, and interesting things you saw there?

Given that I'll never visit the vast majority of these grounds in my life, I'd love to hear your first-hand perspectives. Anyway, I've visited:

The Basin Reserve and Westpac Stadium (aka the Cake Tin), Wellington - too many times to count, although my first visit to the Basin will be with me forever. The NZ-England World Cup match in '92 was cool also.

Pukekura Park, New Plymouth. Sadly, I haven't managed to catch a game there.

McLean Park, Napier. NZ vs India - the only reasonably high scoring game in that infamous series of a few years ago. Also caught Canterbury vs CD there, when a young Chris Martin had a pony tail almost down to his butt!

The mighty MCG. Australia vs NZ, way back in 1993/94. The kiwis got stuffed that day, but I'll never forget the roar of the 68000 fans.

Docklands Stadium, Melbourne. Haven't managed to catch cricket there yet, but have seen AFL and NRL.

Lord's. A spiritual experience. Saw England beat the West Indies in 2004.

The Oval. NZ vs Australia in the Champions Trophy '04. A dull game,but will never forget the "beer snakes", or the multiple pitch invasions at the end of the game!

The Padang, Singapore. Glad there was no cricket on - I can't stand to be outside in that humidity...

So, have you "been around"?

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
- Westpac Stadium (aka the Cake Tin), Wellington
- SCG
- Lords
- North Sydney Oval
- SSC
- RPS
- Kandy

I need to see more grounds around the world, hopefully i will save enough money by the start of 2007 and finished my course so i can watch the world cup in the Windies.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For cricket:
Eden Park, Auckland
Westpac Park, Hamilton
McLean Park, Napier
Basin Reserve, Wellington
The Oval, London

Visited but not when cricket's being played:
MCG, Melbourne
Jade Stadium, Christchurch

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
mundaneyogi said:
The Padang, Singapore. Glad there was no cricket on - I can't stand to be outside in that humidity...

So, have you "been around"?
I've played on that one (at least, I have if it's the one on Connaught Drive).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I grew up and live in America, so I have to say that I have never seen cricket in a stadium, nor have I ever played it (after the age of 8-9 that is)

Dick Rockett

luckyeddie said:
I've played on that one (at least, I have if it's the one on Connaught Drive).
Really, that's awesome. How did that come about?

The Padang's basically just a huge field. It's got the Singapore Cricket Club building at one end, behind that there's the Asian Civilisation Museum, Boat Quay, and the financial district beyond that. Not sure what street it's on.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
mundaneyogi said:
Really, that's awesome. How did that come about?

The Padang's basically just a huge field. It's got the Singapore Cricket Club building at one end, behind that there's the Asian Civilisation Museum, Boat Quay, and the financial district beyond that. Not sure what street it's on.
I was at school in Singapore for 3 years in the 1960's

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SSC , Colombo
Tamil Union , Colombo (P.Sara stadium)
CCC (Colombo Cricket Ground) (used to be a Test venue)
R.Premadasa stadium (used to be called Khettarama)
Asgirya Inernational Stadium (Kandy)
Galle (before the tsunami)

SCG
MCG
Adelaide Oval

Eden Park, Auckland

Lords
Oval

The best cricket Ground of the lot IMO - is without doubt Lords .:)

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

JASON said:
The best cricket Ground of the lot IMO - is without doubt Lords
Yeah, it just has that atmosphere, that history, doesn't it? If you plonked it down anywhere else in the cricketing world you might think it was a bit ordinary though.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon I might have a couple on my list that no one else has been to... :D

- Carisbrook
- University Oval, Dunedin
- Molyneux Park, Alexandra
- Queenstown Events Centre
- Queens Park, Invercargill
- Centennial Park, Oamaru
- Jade Stadium
- Eden Park
- Seddon Park, Hamilton
- Blake Park, Mt Maunganui.

Dick Rockett

Voltman said:
I reckon I might have a couple on my list that no one else has been to... :D

- Carisbrook
- University Oval, Dunedin
- Molyneux Park, Alexandra
- Queenstown Events Centre
- Queens Park, Invercargill
- Centennial Park, Oamaru
- Jade Stadium
- Eden Park
- Seddon Park, Hamilton
- Blake Park, Mt Maunganui.
Looks like you've got most of the SI covered :)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Still got the upper half of the South Island to do - including Rangiora and Nelson, and some of the other Chch grounds. Also been to Aorangi Oval in Timaru and the oval in Ashburton, but I don't think they really count...

Dick Rockett

Voltman said:
Still got the upper half of the South Island to do - including Rangiora and Nelson, and some of the other Chch grounds. Also been to Aorangi Oval in Timaru and the oval in Ashburton, but I don't think they really count...
They still play SC games at Aorangi don't they? That counts.

jadeey

Cricket Spectator
The Basin and the Cake Tin about a million times
Palmerston North - can't remember the name of the park but I saw a Wgtn vs Canterbury match there about 8 years ago
McLean park in Napier
Owen Delany park in Taupo
The SCG
The Gabba - this was the game that stands out most in my mind. New Zealand vs South Africa, January 1998. Fantastic. (even though we lost)

A fairly small list unfortunately, although I'm hoping against hope to make it to the West Indies for the World Cup.

howardj

International Coach
'Gabba
SCG
MCG
Adelaide Oval (only been on a tour of it, haven't seen a ball bowled in anger there though).

James

Cricket Web Owner
mundaneyogi said:
The Oval. NZ vs Australia in the Champions Trophy '04. A dull game,but will never forget the "beer snakes", or the multiple pitch invasions at the end of the game!
I was there for that game with Rich Twyman (Vice Admin of CW) and my financee Anglia.

Agree with you, that was one dull game, but the pitch invasions were fantastic, was tempted to have a run for it myself :laugh:

and is this spooky or what, as I was typing this, the forum member mundaneyogi actually walked behind me :-O (lunch break at work) . Nice to meet you :D

Dick Rockett

jadeey said:
The Gabba - this was the game that stands out most in my mind. New Zealand vs South Africa, January 1998. Fantastic. (even though we lost).
So... was it a four or a six?

Dick Rockett

James said:
Nice to meet you :D
Likewise, man. That has to have been one of the spookier events in my life :)

Edit: warning to other members: James doesn't look a thing like Gromit.

Last edited: