• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing Families

Which cricketing family has the best cricketers?

• Waugh

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Chappell

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Pollock

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • Khan

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Mohammed

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Flower

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Cairns

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
James said:
How about Hadlee and Crowe :p
Ahhh the Hadlees - transcending all levels of the game:

- father walter - captain of the 1949 team, head of NZ Cricket during the 1970s, bred five sons
- son Richard - ummmm, handy first-change bowler, selector, knight
- son Dayle - 71 wickets in 26 tests
- son Barry - just missed out on playing a test with Dayle and Richard.
Richard’s wife, Karen - one ODI in 1978.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There are a lot of talented people and dynasties mentioned here, but unless I missed something noone has mentioned the Grace Family.

To copy from Cricinfo's profile of WG Grace his relatives in cricket are:

Brother - EM Grace, Brother - GF Grace, Cousin - WG Rees, Cousin - GHB Gilbert, Cousin - WL Rees, Cousin - WJ Pocock, Cousin - WR Gilbert, Son - WG Grace Jnr, Son - CB Grace, Nephew - H Grace, Nephew - NV Grace

Not a bad list with the big dog at the top of the tree.

Thinking about it I would change my vote to them.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
I'd go Pollocks for reasons people have mentioned before.

Don't reckon there's many families have 3 contenders for teams of the decade, all-time teams for their country and possibly all-time teams fullstop depending on who's picking the team.

Oh, and watch out for the Harmisons......:D

archie mac

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Cricket does seem to be something of a dynastic sport, makes me wonder about the whole nature/nurture arguement.

English cricketing families seem a bit under-represented, so to redress the balance:

The Graveneys: Tom, brother Ken (Gloucestshire captain) & nephew David (also ex-Glous skip & current chairman of our selectors).

The Huttons: Sir Len, son Richard (also English test player), grandson Ben (Middlesex)

The Stewarts: Micky & son Alec

The Butchers: Alan, brother Ian (Gloucestershire), sons Mark & Gary (ex-Glamorgan & Surrey)

The Cowdreys: Colin & sons Chris (also England test captain) & Graham (Kent)

The Comptons: Denis, brother Leslie (Middlesex & Arsenal :) ) & grandson Nick (Middlesex)

The Sidebottoms: Arnie & son Ryan (uniquely dad & junior are both one cap wonders!).
You could also add the Graces, The Hardstaffs and the Tates.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i happened to be coached very briefly but Andy and Grant Flowers dad. Well coached as in there was about 25 of us

Chubb

International Regular
Pothas said:
i happened to be coached very briefly but Andy and Grant Flowers dad. Well coached as in there was about 25 of us
What was Bill like? You know, he didn't just help his sons, he also discovered Waddy Mwayenga and loads of other Zimbok players.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chubb said:
What was Bill like?
He was very good from what i rememeber. I remember him going on about how good Heath Streak was and how he should be Hampshires overseas player again. This is about 6 years ago.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Just for academic interest.

Does anyone know of another four siblings who played test matches and scored centuries in them - other than Wazir Mohammad, Hanif Mohammad, Mushtaq Mohammad and Sadiq Mohammad?

oz_fan

International Regular
Just some interesting notes:
Hanif and Shoaib Mohammed are the only father and son to score test double hundreds.
Lala and Surinder Armanath are the only father and son to score test centuries on debut.
Three sets of brothers (Flower, Rennie, Strang) played in the one match for Zimbabwe against NZ in 97.
At least one Mohammed brother played in 100 of Pakistans first 101 test matches.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
I voted the Chappells, in which I have included the Grandfather Vic Richardson

That gives them four Test players and three Aussie captains, 14,000+ Test runs and 200+ catches. Throw in a few wickets and that is not to bad an effort.
I would have voted for Chappell, but for the fact that Greg is permanently tarnished by his unsportsmanly gesture of the Under Arm incident .

Winning and losing is part of cricket . If you can stoop that low to save a loss you can be the greatest cricketing brain in the World , but you cannot get into the Gentleman's Club IMO.:)

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
New Zealand are always overlooked. 8-)
The Hadlees, of course, was a father\two-son thing, too.
3 sons to be precise - 3rd brother (Barry IIRC) played a couple of ODIs for NZ in the 70s .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Ranatunga's have not been mentioned so far and as far as Sri Lankan Cricket goes there is only one man who has made the single biggest contriibution to Sri Lanka's position as a cricketing nation today - and that Man is Arjuna Ranatunga .

Controversial, aggressive and confrontational , he might be , But he is a Legend as far as SL Cricket history is concerned . And its impossible to ignore him or his leadership style and Team building characteristics that built SL team to a semblance of what it is today.

His contribution to SL' s winning of the World Cup is absolutely phenomenal. For without his brilliant leadership and tactical astuteness, the 66-1 outsider could not have got anywhere near to winning the World Cup they did .

His brothers Dhammika and Sanjeeva played Test cricket (with only few appearances between them) and Nishantha Ranatunga (another brother) played 2 ODIs.

If you assess contribution of individual's in terms of the success of the teams to which they contributed ( as in Ranatunga's leadership and contribution in winning the World Cup in1996) and the contribution to their country's development as a cricketing nation (as Ranatunga's to Sri Lankan Cricket), then this man has made the single biggest contribution all told over any of the others mentioned !!

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If we have to choose only by the stature of the family members who played cricket and not stature PLUS numbers then maybe the Bradman name should also figure here !:laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
If we have to choose only by the stature of the family members who played cricket and not stature PLUS numbers then maybe the Bradman name should also figure here !:laugh:
Were there more than one Bradman ? I am aware only of the much revered one .(Sir Don :) )