• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sourav Ganguly: Is a One-Day Recall Coming?

If necessary, who will open for India in ODIs?

• Sourav Ganguly

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Promoted One-Day Regular (Pathan, Venugopal, Raina, etc.)

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Someone Else (Uthappa, Dhawan, Pujara, etc.)

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

adharcric

International Coach
As we all know, Sachin Tendulkar is out for now, which means Gambhir is the lone opener and he is partnering Sehwag, who himself isn't fully fit or in form. Say Sehwag is unable to play ... or Gambhir fails and needs to be replaced either after 3 ODIs or for the West Indies tour. In such a scenario, who do you think will be called upon to open for India?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
As we all know, Sachin Tendulkar is out for now, which means Gambhir is the lone opener and he is partnering Sehwag, who himself isn't fully fit or in form. Say Sehwag is unable to play ... or Gambhir fails and needs to be replaced either after 3 ODIs or for the West Indies tour. In such a scenario, who do you think will be called upon to open for India?
If Sehwag fails for another game, there is no reason why Ganguly should not be brought in but its not going to happen I think.

adharcric

International Coach
SJS said:
If Sehwag fails for another game, there is no reason why Ganguly should not be brought in but its not going to happen I think.
Yeah I was expecting that response, but who would open then? (hence the poll)

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
adharcric said:
If we have to go by the words of Kiran More, even in a scenario where Sehwag and Gambhir are unfit, it is very unlikely Ganguly would get a recall.

There are so many who have done really well in the shorter version of domestic games.

Vidyut S, S Dhawan, Pujara , R Uthappa all have done well, any of these could get a chance.

How about Amay Khurasia, who got a massive hundred in one of the knock-out games??

oz_fan

International Regular
If Ganguly was recalled, would he captain India or would the responsibility remain with Dravid?

adharcric

International Coach
oz_fan said:
If Ganguly was recalled, would he captain India or would the responsibility remain with Dravid?
100% Dravid. He's been named captain through the World Cup and rightly so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Clearly Ganguly is still one of the best batsmen in India in ODIs, should be recalled, but is not going to be.
More has specifically stated that he has no intention of doing so.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
I can only see ganguly coming back for very important matches when they might not be willing to risk blooding new talent, coupled with at least a couple of injuries.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sourav is NOT one of the best OD batsmen in India on CURRENT form. His form has been extremely patchy, at best in the domestic games that he has played. And his bowling has been tonked around a couple of times, from the reports that I have read. I think one of the youngsters should be given a chance if Sehwag is out as well.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I think Sourav has lost it in ODIs and he shouldn't be recalled. If we really want to build a team for future then we should look ahead, I would like guys like Uthapa and Dhawan to be a given a chance to play. Sehwag should be dropped from ODIs and only be recalled if he can show his fit enough to perform.

Pathan, Dhoni, Raina, Rao aren't openers so there is no point in asking them to open.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
I would like to believe that he will not come back unless it is to open the innings.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
as a bowler or as a batter? ;)
Good one :)

Coming to the names of young cricketers mentioned by you for opening. I would think they may not risk another untried youngster at this stage because Tendular, Ganguly, Laxman gone and Sehwag in bad form makes this side fairly inexperienced.

Yes if Sehwag strikes form and Gambhir is to be replaced they might go for a youngster.

But my feeling is that first of all this management may not want Ganguly back (they dont seem to be hiding that particular preference of theirs one bit) and if they need some one in the middle with experience, they may go back to Laxman rather than Ganguly. Of course, I agree that would be a retro step with world cup 2007 in mind and with Laxman clearly having no role in the scheme of things.

They might surprise us by putting Pathan in that slot on a more permanent basis. I dont like that option but he doesnt seem to have any fear of the short pitched ball at least.

I have always felt that opening slot is becoming a bit of a problem and now we are faced with it. I wish Gambhir would stop fishing outside off stump. He looks very good off both feet till he decides to go fishing.:happy:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
Sourav is NOT one of the best OD batsmen in India on CURRENT form. His form has been extremely patchy, at best in the domestic games that he has played. And his bowling has been tonked around a couple of times, from the reports that I have read. I think one of the youngsters should be given a chance if Sehwag is out as well.
What has Ganguly's domestic form been like?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
I would like to believe that he will not come back unless it is to open the innings.
Ganguly should never bat anywhere other than at the top in ODIs IMO, and never should have done.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
Good one :)

Coming to the names of young cricketers mentioned by you for opening. I would think they may not risk another untried youngster at this stage because Tendular, Ganguly, Laxman gone and Sehwag in bad form makes this side fairly inexperienced.

Yes if Sehwag strikes form and Gambhir is to be replaced they might go for a youngster.

But my feeling is that first of all this management may not want Ganguly back (they dont seem to be hiding that particular preference of theirs one bit) and if they need some one in the middle with experience, they may go back to Laxman rather than Ganguly. Of course, I agree that would be a retro step with world cup 2007 in mind and with Laxman clearly having no role in the scheme of things.
Really...
The 2007 World Cup is ONE YEAR away.
Nothing more.
We are at the stage now where it's not remotely possible to "take a step backwards with the World Cup in mind".
If you don't have an idea of what your best team is by now, IMO you're in some trouble.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
if Ganguly was recalled it would be very odd after what the Indian selectors have out him through lately. But since Tendulkar is out, Sehwag seemingly not at his best & Gambhir probably not the best option at the top, Ganguly's experience as an opener could be useful.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I just don't understand how anyone can think Gambhir is even close to being in Ganguly's league as a one-day opener.
But then again - if Ganguly's domestic form has been poor, there's little case for his selection.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Really...
The 2007 World Cup is ONE YEAR away.
Nothing more.
We are at the stage now where it's not remotely possible to "take a step backwards with the World Cup in mind".
If you don't have an idea of what your best team is by now, IMO you're in some trouble.
I agree. But there has to be a backup plan for the possibilty of Sachin's being unfit, howsoever remote.. The fact is that India have been counting on Tendulkar and Sehwag to be SURE-SHOT for opening and Gambhir as first-back up.

Now, all of a sudden, Sachin is injured and Sehwag is struggling. Whether the world cup is one year away or one week, its a problem that still needs adressing and a reasonable backup is a MUST. If we dont have a back up now maybe we wont need it at all but God forbid if we do and have no one in mind and the world cup match is looming ahead :sleep: