• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Prediction

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Unless Ponting continues the way he is going, Mike Hussey will be the number 1 batsman in the world by the end of this year.

There isn't a batsman in the world at the moment (Ponting included) that looks more solid from ball 1 than Hussey.

The guy has no flaws and an impeccable technique.

Hasn't really been tested against the best spinners, or the best pacemen but frankly I think he is the most complete and assured looking batsman in the world at the moment.

Time will tell.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
He's good, but he's not that good. He'll finish with the same sort of Test average as the likes of Martyn, Langer, and countless other Australian batsmen - a top-class player, but not in the pantheon of great batsmen like Ponting no doubt will be.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It'll be interesting to see how he goes in the Ashes. He certainly does seem composed at the crease, but he has been around for a very long time, so you'd expect that. He'll certainly have his spot in the team for a few years, but I'm not sure about him being the best in the world. One of the top 5 or 10, maybe.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
NZTailender said:
I think he'll be one of the fastest to 1000 runs (not the fastest obviously)
yea i agree with this, but i don't think he will be the best batsman in the world by the end of the year tbh..

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
hes just an allround good solid impressive player, but nothing extraordinary if you ask me.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
He hasn't been around in Test cricket long enough for teams to try and work out a weakness yet - his start reminds me of Andrew Strauss. It took a while for teams to work out where you could and couldn't bowl to him, just as it'll take them a while to work out Hussey. Once Fletcher and his analysts have had a look at him, and the England attack have examined him over the winter, we'll know what he's made of.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
yes i think thats true, although in fairness it seems that he doesnt have as many obvious weaknesses as strauss perhaps did, having said that strauss didnt have many himself.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
sledger said:
yes i think thats true, although in fairness it seems that he doesnt have as many obvious weaknesses as strauss perhaps did, having said that strauss didnt have many himself.
Every batsman has a weakness - it's just that some hide them better than others. ;)

open365

International Vice-Captain
I don't think he'll be the best in the world until he is allowed to bat higher up the order, which with the Aussie team looks pretty unlikely atm.

He's one of my favourite cricketers and i don't think it's that implausable that he could get to a 1000 runs the fastest

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I'll rate him after he's faced the England seam attack when under pressure, or some top-quality spin under intense pressure.

So far he hasn't faced too much quality bowling.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
Every batsman has a weakness - it's just that some hide them better than others. ;)
Sign of a very good player is that he can turn a perceived weakness into a strength (e.g. Trescothick - the source of his frequent downfall is also the source of his runs)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I've been wondering, what exactly is Dravid's weakness? I mean, where do you bowl to him?

I've heard he is the weakest until he scores about the first 10 runs, but even if that time...what do you do as a bowler?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
luckyeddie said:
Sign of a very good player is that he can turn a perceived weakness into a strength (e.g. Trescothick - the source of his frequent downfall is also the source of his runs)
just wait till richard comes along and sees that.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
He hasn't been around in Test cricket long enough for teams to try and work out a weakness yet - his start reminds me of Andrew Strauss. It took a while for teams to work out where you could and couldn't bowl to him, just as it'll take them a while to work out Hussey. Once Fletcher and his analysts have had a look at him, and the England attack have examined him over the winter, we'll know what he's made of.
Seconded - totally what I was thinking! This sort of thing happens with new players all the time.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
I've been wondering, what exactly is Dravid's weakness? I mean, where do you bowl to him?

I've heard he is the weakest until he scores about the first 10 runs, but even if that time...what do you do as a bowler?
If I was bowling to him, here's what I'd try.

a) don't bowl a foot outside off-stump like Hoggard was doing, bowl a few inches outside off-stump so that there's a threat of an incoming delivery shackling him, and put a touch of outswing on it to see if dravid gets an edge

b) pitch it on his legs and get some outswing from there, meaning a ball pitching on the legs and moving towards off-stump ... slight chance he might miss the line when he flicks to leg, he loves that shot