• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The future's orange!

Steulen

International Regular
Just thought I'd point your attention to some very good results achieved by The Netherlands last week, including this from Nairobi on Sunday:

Kenya 166ao
The Netherlands 266/7 (De Leede 123, De Grooth 81, Van Bunge 4/18)

The Netherlands beat Kenya by 100 runs. If I'm correct, this should count as an official ODI, as both teams are qualified for the WC2007. Needless to say our friends at CricInfo decided to take no notice whatsoever.
But looking at the bright side, this is a great win for the Dutch. Especially because it looks like they have a good bowling attack in place now. Earlier in the week they had beaten two Southg African provincial teams and also managed to keep Gloucestershire down to 208/7 before going down by 26 runs. Batting has rarely been a problem, and with big-hitting allrounder Ten Doeschate and exciting new talent Kervezee in the team, it appears to have become even better. The future's bright...

Xuhaib

International Coach
Its always been mu hunch that Holland will do well in cricket.

Great result for the Dutch:)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Steulen said:
Kenya 166ao
The Netherlands 266/7 (De Leede 123, De Grooth 81, Van Bunge 4/18)

The Netherlands beat Kenya by 100 runs. If I'm correct, this should count as an official ODI, as both teams are qualified for the WC2007. Needless to say our friends at CricInfo decided to take no notice whatsoever.
Nope, it wasn't an ODI, because the Kenya side was Kenya "A", at least from what I can figure out from the scorecard Kweek posted in the Intercontinental Cup thread. Only three of the players there had any ODI experience from before (and two of those were one-match wonders). The official Kenya side is still recovering from the 0-4 mauling in Bangladesh.

Edit: Oh, and I just thought...what if these

start to turn up at Lord's? ;)

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Edit: Oh, and I just thought...what if these

start to turn up at Lord's? ;)
Why are we hating on people in wheelchairs? Why wouldnt they be allowed in Lords.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Well, I hear that the game has a surprisingly large following in Holland, so I don't see it impossible that at some point in the future Holland start competing with Test playing nations.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
tis just Kenya 'A' nothing interesting, if they'd beat the real Kenyan side, id be jumping in the air.
wednesday is the Inter-cont. cup and that will be interesting!
can't wait for Sri Lanka coming to Holland, we'll get beaten big time, but i'd love to watch it.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I hope they do eventually get test status. I had no idea cricket had a following in Holland. Be great to see cricketing equivelants of Johan Cryuff. One country I really wanna see play is China. I hear there's interest there since three sub-continent countires have won the world cup. Tony Greig said it, if they want to be the best, they can.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Steulen - what's the state of the game in The Netherlands? Are there many people playing the game? Do many people follow it? Any media coverage?

I've noticed that the Dutch teams that have popped up every now and then have tended to be full of Dutch names, rather than expatriates, which I think is a positive thing. Do you think the game can grow there?

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
i'd say you could better ask me, as Steulen doenst play himself, and I play not far of the highest level.
the state of the game is going up, after a few poor years, its getting better.
around 6000 people are playing, 45 clubs if im correct.
the media coverage is poor, just some ceefax and a paper now and then, no TV :(
The game can grow, but I dont think it will, game takes to long for us busy dutch. playing a game all day, nah...got better things to do a lot of people tend to think and say.

Dick Rockett

Kweek said:
The game can grow, but I dont think it will, game takes to long for us busy dutch. playing a game all day, nah...got better things to do a lot of people tend to think and say.
Actually, with the amount of concentration it takes to cross the road without being killed in Amsterdam, I reckon cricket is perfect for the Dutch.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Well, if NZ ever tour Holland for a test series, I wouldn't let Fleming, Nash, and Matt Hart go to a cafe for "a quiet night out".

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
mundaneyogi said:
Actually, with the amount of concentration it takes to cross the road without being killed in Amsterdam, I reckon cricket is perfect for the Dutch.
Waiting... no. NO! WAIT THERE!

Sorry...

Steulen

International Regular
The game certainly has a following in The Netherlands, but it is a niche game. The national competition gets a mention in some newspapers on a near-weekly basis and interesting international achievements are often mentioned as well on Ceefax and in papers.

A surprisingly large number of people were aware of England's Ashes victory last year.

On average, however, cricket is seen as a very weird and boring game which lasts too long. A bit surprising given the omnipresent fondness of watching people skate round and round and round and round ad eternum, but hey...

The last time any cricket was shown on TV was when The Netherlands played in the 1996 WC. The WC2003 games were not broadcast.

Cricket is also not taught in schools. PE focusses on softball instead.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Kweek said:
can't wait for Sri Lanka coming to Holland, we'll get beaten big time, but i'd love to watch it.
Its nice to see the minnows playing more often, we might be able to win a game over there. Wait Sri Lanka winning a series overseas that doesn't happen, what are the odds for Holland to win.

Jungle Jumbo

Kenya have chopped Kennedy Otieno, David Obuya, Jimmy Kamande and Martin Suji from their squad to play Holland, starting Nairobi on Wednesday.

Squad
Steve Tikolo (c), Thomas Odoyo, Maurice Ouma (wk), Brijal Patel, Hitesh Modi, Tony Suji, Tanmay Mishra, Collins Oboya, Ashish Karia, Peter Ongondo, Rajesh Bhudia, Kalpesh Patel, Alfred Luseno.