• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Would You Rank The Teams?

open365

International Vice-Captain
1.Australia
2.England (just)
3.Pakistan
4.India
5.South Africa
6.New Zealand
7.Sri-Lanka
8.West Indies
9.Bangladesh

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
By popular demand:

The Convicts Are Only Top For Another Nine Months Test Rankings

1) Australia
2) England
3) Pakistan
4) South Africa
5) New Zealand
6) India
7) Sri Lanka
8) West Indies
9) Bangladesh

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tom Halsey said:
The Jack McNamara Test Table:

1) Australia
2) England
3) Pakistan
4) India
4) South Africa
6) New Zealand
7) Sri Lanka
8) West Indies
9) Bangladesh
10) Zimbabwe

Can't be fagged to do ODIs.

Can you explain South Africa's ranking of #4?

Their recent test record is much worse than India's. Though I do agree with your 1-4.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Scaly piscine said:
By popular demand:

The Convicts Are Only Top For Another Nine Months Test Rankings

1) Australia
2) England
3) Pakistan
4) South Africa
5) New Zealand
6) India

7) Sri Lanka
8) West Indies
9) Bangladesh

:ph34r:

Your 1-3 are fine, but your four to six should be inverted. When number #2 teams ties your number #6 team in a test series...and #2 team is ecstatic while #6 is dissapointed...well that puts a bit of a hole in your ratings.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Can you explain South Africa's ranking of #4?

Their recent test record is much worse than India's. Though I do agree with your 1-4.
Your 1-3 are fine, but your four to six should be inverted. When number #2 teams ties your number #6 team in a test series...and #2 team is ecstatic while #6 is dissapointed...well that puts a bit of a hole in your ratings.
I think other members are entitled to their opinions just as much as you are to your opinion that India should be 4 or higher, thankyou. :sleep:

...Oh, and if the number 6 team had conditions that weren't favourable to their style of cricket, were missing 5 of their first choice team, and hadn't won a series in that country for at least 20 years, they'd be ecstatic, too.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
steds said:
I think other members are entitled to their opinions just as much as you are to your opinion that India should be 4 or higher, thankyou. :sleep:
I did not forbid him from making a ranking. I am entitled to have New Zealand as the #1 ranked team in my rankings of test cricket. But if I post that, I would expect to be challenged in that regard, wouldn't I?

Scaly piscine

silentstriker said:

South Africa, New Zealand and India are all relatively similar quality sides who're all far stronger at home.

India have basically only beaten SA at home of the teams above them and that was only because they were playing at home. If India had played in SA they'd have lost. I expect SA to beat NZ at home and it'd be close in NZ. I also think against the top three sides SA have shown more than NZ and they have in turn shown more than India.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well India have not won any of their last Test series in

England
Pakistan
SA
Sri Lanka
New Zealand
Australia

And have not won their last home Test series against
England
Australia
Pakistan
New Zealand

I rate India but they have hardly been dominant enough to stop any argument over their ranking, whether it be 2,3,4,5,etc.

England have not won their most recent away series against
Australia
India
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
New Zealand

England have not won their most recent home series against
SA
India
Pakistan
(though they did not lose any of these series, they were all drawn)

Neither teams form has been dominant in the long term to automatically put them at no.2 without any potential disagreement.

However I beleive Eng should be #2 due to the Ashes victory and being undefeated in any of their most recent home series against Test opposition and drawing in India (a traditionally difficult place for Eng teams to go)

The "Taylor, Waugh, Ponting Table for Making These Tables Irrelevant" sponsored by Gary's Tire and Exhaust MegaMart

1 Aus
2 Eng
3 Pak
4 Ind
5 NZ
6 SA
7 Sri
8 WI
9 Bang
10 Zim

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Goughy said:
Well India have not won any of their last Test series in

England
Pakistan
SA
Sri Lanka
New Zealand
Australia

And have not won their last home Test series against
England
Australia
Pakistan
New Zealand

I rate India but they have hardly been dominant enough to stop any argument over their ranking, whether it be 2,3,4,5,etc.

England have not won their most recent away series against
Australia
India
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
New Zealand

England have not won their most recent home series against
SA
India
Pakistan
(though they did not lose any of these series, they were all drawn)

Neither teams form has been dominant in the long term to automatically put them at no.2 without any potential disagreement.

However I beleive Eng should be #2 due to the Ashes victory and being undefeated in any of their most recent home series against Test opposition and drawing in India (a traditionally difficult place for Eng teams to go)

The "Taylor, Waugh, Ponting Table for Making These Tables Irrelevant" sponsored by Gary's Tire and Exhaust MegaMart

1 Aus
2 Eng
3 Pak
4 Ind
5 NZ
6 SA
7 Sri
8 WI
9 Bang
10 Zim
Could you extend those lists to showing how NZ and SA have done? I'd be surprised if they were as bad as India...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
silentstriker said:

Not really given
a) England victories in India are rarer than rocking-horse poo
b) We lost pretty well half the team before the end of the series

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Rereading my last post, what stands out is that Pakistan have not lost their last series Home or Away to India and Home or Away to England.

Pak in Eng will be the battle for undisputed 2nd place.

If, and its a big if, England win that then Eng in Aus will be a legitimate battle for #1.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
luckyeddie said:
Not really given
a) England victories in India are rarer than rocking-horse poo
That's the point though, isn't it? If sides have so much trouble beating India in a series in India, that should automatically put them above six. How many home series has India lost in the last 20 years? Probably Sri Lanka has a record thats similar, but just their home record alone should put them to #4 or so. They need to win away to get to #2, however.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
If, and its a big if, England win that then Eng in Aus will be a legitimate battle for #1.

No, it wouldn't. If they beat Aus in Aus, then it would be closer but Aus would still be #1, especially since I have a hard time imagining the aussies getting thumped 2-0 in Pakistan (or anywhere else).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Could you extend those lists to showing how NZ and SA have done? I'd be surprised if they were as bad as India...
As Requested

New Zealand
NZ have not won their last away series against
Aus
Eng
Ind
Pak
SA
SL

NZ have not won their last home series against
Aus
Pak
Eng

Bad away record, only beating WI but a good home record

South Africa
SA have not won their last away series against
Aus
Ind
Pak
SL
Eng
NZ

SA have not won their last home series against
Aus
Eng

Same assessment as NZ but have only not won 2 home series since the begining of 2000 (1 against Aus & 1 against Eng) but after tomorrow will prob be 3 losses.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The Lord Douglas Jardine memorial harlequin cap for tests

1) Australia
2) England
3) Pakistan
4) India
5) South Africa
6) New Zealand
7) Sri Lanka
8) West Indies
9) Bangladesh

The Hansie Cronje memorial leather jacket for ODIs

1) Australia
2) New Zealand
3) Pakistan
4) Sri Lanka
5) South Africa
6) India
7) England
8) West Indies
9) Bangladesh
10) Kenya
11) Zimbabwe

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
BoyBrumby said:
The Lord Douglas Jardine memorial harlequin cap for tests

The Hansie Cronje memorial leather jacket for ODIs

1) Australia
2) New Zealand
3) Pakistan
4) Sri Lanka
5) South Africa
6) India
7) England
8) West Indies
9) Bangladesh
10) Kenya
11) Zimbabwe
You realise India just beat Pakistan 4-1 in Pakistan, Sri Lanka 6-1 in India, and tied South Africa 2-2 in India. South Africa should not be so low. However, India I still don't know how to rate in ODI and they could be anywhere from #2-#6 in actuality, but SA are a good team who just beat Australia in an ODI series. South Africa are most definatly higher than #5 in ODI.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
1) Australia
2) New Zealand
3) Pakistan
4) Sri Lanka
5) South Africa
6) India
7) England
8) West Indies
9) Bangladesh
10) Kenya
11) Zimbabwe
This the same team that lost 0-4 in South Africa? Or were they mere impostors? ;)

The Dignified And Money Greased Test Table
1) Australia
2) England
3) India
4) Pakistan
5) South Africa
6) New Zealand
7) Sri Lanka
8) West Indies
9) Bangladesh

India get third for actually competing with Australia.

The Even More Moneyspinning One-Day Yawnfest Table
1) Australia
2) South Africa
3) India
4) New Zealand
5) Pakistan
6) England
7) Sri Lanka
8) West Indies
9) Bangladesh
10)Scotland
11)Zimbabwe
12)Kenya
13)Ireland
14)Netherlands
15)Bermuda
16)Canada

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
No, it wouldn't. If they beat Aus in Aus, then it would be closer but Aus would still be #1, especially since I have a hard time imagining the aussies getting thumped 2-0 in Pakistan (or anywhere else).
Well if England do what I suggest in their summer then they would have beaten every Test nation in the last series they had played against them (with the exception of Ind who they drew against) and if they beat Aus in Aus that makes two wins in a row against them.

Noone would have beaten them the last time they played them and they would have beaten the #1 twice in a row.

How could you not even consider that they may be number 1?

Its a long way down the line and involves a lot of ifs, but if Eng see off SL, if they take revenge on Pak and if do a number on the Aussies then they must be #1.

Im not saying it will happen but to dismiss Eng as still #2 if they do this is strange to me.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Goughy said:
As Requested

New Zealand
NZ have not won their last away series against
Aus
Eng
Ind
Pak
SA
SL

NZ have not won their last home series against
Aus
Pak
Eng

Bad away record, only beating WI but a good home record

South Africa
SA have not won their last away series against
Aus
Ind
Pak
SL
Eng
NZ

SA have not won their last home series against
Aus
Eng

Same assessment as NZ but have only not won 2 home series since the begining of 2000 (1 against Aus & 1 against Eng) but after tomorrow will prob be 3 losses.
As I thought, they both have better records than India, who are probably the most hyped team in world cricket. NZ obviously didn't have Bond for a lot of those Tests so that's a big improvement for them, SA have unearthed De Villiers and the likes of Nel coming through make up for Pollock's age catching up with him. India's batting is going backwards and whilst they've uncovered some promising bowlers they've also got Turbinator becoming toothless. So basically I see no reason to push India above the other two teams (obviously if they were on the up then you could to an extent discount old results from 2+ years ago - but I really don't see them improving on past form yet)

Scaly piscine

Samuel_Vimes said:
India get third for actually competing with Australia.
They got brushed aside easily in the last series and I would expect the same thing to happen if they played again.