• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team India: Looking Ahead ... to the Challenger Series?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
How about this for the Rest Of India selection?
  • Sehwag
  • Gambhir
  • Dravid (C)
  • Yuvraj
  • Raina
  • Dhoni (WK)
  • Joginder Sharma (RMF)
  • Irfan (LMF)
  • Kumble (LBG)
  • Zaheer Khan (LFM)
  • RP Singh (LFM)
  • RESERVE: VR Singh (RFM)
  • RESERVE: Ramesh Powar (OB)
  • RESERVE: DS Jadhav
  • RESERVE: Mohammed Kaif
This is an experimental Indian side, which can be tried out in this match. It's better than picking a virtual Second Rest Of XI as has often been the case.

adharcric

International Coach
Arjun said:
How about this for the Rest Of India selection?
  • Sehwag
  • Gambhir
  • Dravid (C)
  • Yuvraj
  • Raina
  • Dhoni (WK)
  • Joginder Sharma (RMF)
  • Irfan (LMF)
  • Kumble (LBG)
  • Zaheer Khan (LFM)
  • RP Singh (LFM)
  • RESERVE: VR Singh (RFM)
  • RESERVE: Ramesh Powar (OB)
  • RESERVE: DS Jadhav
  • RESERVE: Mohammed Kaif
This is an experimental Indian side, which can be tried out in this match. It's better than picking a virtual Second Rest Of XI as has often been the case.
Since it's a domestic competition, I think we should stick to players that are involved with the domestic circuit. Jaffer and Jadhav can open, with guys like Jhunjhunwala, Badrinath, Rao, Badani etc in the middle-order, Sharma or Yadav as the all-rounder, Pinal Shah or Dasgupta as the keeper. Consider Trivedi, VRV, Gagandeep, Paul etc as frontline seamers and Powar as the spinner.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
Since it's a domestic competition, I think we should stick to players that are involved with the domestic circuit. Jaffer and Jadhav can open, with guys like Jhunjhunwala, Badrinath, Rao, Badani etc in the middle-order, Sharma or Yadav as the all-rounder, Pinal Shah or Dasgupta as the keeper. Consider Trivedi, VRV, Gagandeep, Paul etc as frontline seamers and Powar as the spinner.
This is why the then-prestigious Irani Trophy has become such a waste of time. None of the players in successive Rest Of India sides have ever been good enough to make a Rest Of India side. The match will become serious only if a full-strength Rest Of India side will be picked. Every player in the team should be an India player or prospect, and not someone making up the numbers.

adharcric

International Coach
Arjun said:
This is why the then-prestigious Irani Trophy has become such a waste of time. None of the players in successive Rest Of India sides have ever been good enough to make a Rest Of India side. The match will become serious only if a full-strength Rest Of India side will be picked. Every player in the team should be an India player or prospect, and not someone making up the numbers.
That's fine, I don't really expect much from the Irani Trophy anyways. The Challenger Trophy is the place to test all the national prospects.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
That's fine, I don't really expect much from the Irani Trophy anyways. The Challenger Trophy is the place to test all the national prospects.
The selections and the way the matches are played, most domestic matches don't get anybody's interest. The match will count if both teams are full strength. As for the Challengers, they should just test out a prospective Indian team, since they're just four matches long, which are not enough to make a decision on team selection.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
How about a case for someone like SS Paul? While the likes of Irfan swing it and Munaf or RP Singh hits the deck, he can just bowl a line and length for a really long time. He's been in the FC scene for some time, taking over 100 wickets bowling that way. Come to think of it, even Sanjay Bangar should make the side. What has he done wrong that other seamers haven't? Even India's 'best' seamers are inconsistent, (some are) underpowered and lack pace. Yet they've been treated like kings when they've played for India, but have only flattered to deceive. Bangar has done what the captain wanted of him, and bowled well for a stock seamer. Moreover, he's also a very hard hitter of the ball and can score runs in chunks, with a healthy average for a bowler, and since we've had the likes of Jaffer, Kaif and an over-the-hill Laxman playing for India, he's definitely an option.

As for the young pacers in action, Sreesanth has the same problems as Agarkar and won't last long, and a replacement should be groomed, maybe Munaf Patel. It's a good thing to give these big young tykes a Test debut, but they need some experienced hand to guide them, in a match or otherwise. VR Singh bowled well at the tail, and the rising deliveries can make an impact in a match, but he sprays the ball around too much. He needs more FC or A-team experience to develop into an India frontliner, but there's a Harmison or Simon Jones or Ntini or Andre Nel in him. Munaf's done well to bowl as a third, or even second seamer. And of course, they need Irfan more than ever, even with his reduced pace, since he can still move the ball well.

The Test team bears a very fragile look at the top. Wasim Jaffer was brought in to replace Gautam Gambhir, who often helped the team get off to chunky starts at a good run-rate. Reason? Gambhir didn't get too many big scores, and Jaffer was supposed o be an instant fix. And what happens? Jaffer struggles to even get a start, and more often than not, there's an early wicket falling, either his own or Sehwag's. Gambhir has reason to feel hard done, while Uthappa may also be an option, since he's been picked to open in one-dayers as well.

Keeping these ideas in mind, the ROI team should haev Sehwag and Gambhir/Uthappa as openers, and a bowling attack of Irfan, Zaheer/Munaf, RP Singh, Bangar/JP Yadav and Kumble. The middle-order picks itself and this should be a trial run for the Indian side.

adharcric

International Coach
Arjun said:
Wasim Jaffer was brought in to replace Gautam Gambhir, who often helped the team get off to chunky starts at a good run-rate. Reason? Gambhir didn't get too many big scores, and Jaffer was supposed o be an instant fix. And what happens? Jaffer struggles to even get a start, and more often than not, there's an early wicket falling, either his own or Sehwag's.
Thanks for the jinx Arjun. A 70-run opening stand and a classy century for Jaffer at a crucial time.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
Thanks for the jinx Arjun. A 70-run opening stand and a classy century for Jaffer at a crucial time.
Why, and I repeat, WHY, does this always happen on cricket forums???

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Arjun said:
As for the young pacers in action, Sreesanth has the same problems as Agarkar and won't last long, and a replacement should be groomed, maybe Munaf Patel.
Yes, India should groom a 22-year-old to replace a 23-year-old. Makes sense.

You're not over-reacting at all. 8-)

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Yes, India should groom a 22-year-old to replace a 23-year-old. Makes sense.

You're not over-reacting at all. 8-)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ..good one...
but even for the sake of arguement, why would you groom Munaf for Sreesanth, both are different types of bowlers.

adharcric

International Coach
Mumbai seamer Kshemal Vaingankar, Karnataka all-rounder Gaurav Dhiman and wicketkeeper Pinal Shah have been selected for the Border-Gavaskar Scholarship program.
I didn't really know where to post this, but I thought it was worth mentioning. :)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
adharcric said:
Mumbai seamer Kshemal Vaingankar, Karnataka all-rounder Gaurav Dhiman and wicketkeeper Pinal Shah have been selected for the Border-Gavaskar Scholarship program.
I didn't really know where to post this, but I thought it was worth mentioning. :)
That means they come over and spend time at the Australian academy, right?

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
adharcric said:
Seen a fair bit of Dhiman, and have heard (but seen nothing) of Shah. Can you fill me in Vaingankar and Shah?

adharcric

International Coach
Jungle Jumbo said:
Seen a fair bit of Dhiman, and have heard (but seen nothing) of Shah. Can you fill me in Vaingankar and Shah?
Kshemal Waingankar is a 21-year-old seamer who is a fringe selection in the Mumbai Ranji side. He bowls good outswingers and took four wickets in CCI's warm-up match against England (including Vaughan twice).

Pinal Shah is a 18-year-old wicketkeeper who is now a Baroda regular. He was in the U-19 side, but the highlight of his short career has been an impressive 217* against Services early this year. He bats in the top-order and middle-order; check back on him in a few years and you might just find India's next prospect behind the stumps.