• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batsman

Which batsman would you choose and why?

• Lara

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • Tendulkar

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Ponting

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • Dravid

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Kallis

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Inzamam ul Haq

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Hayden

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters

oz_fan

International Regular
Based on their whole career, if you were choosing a team which batsman would you choose.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyone who doesn't think Rahul Dravid has accomplished more than any other batsman of the 1990s and 2000s is a dunce of the highest order.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Anyone who doesn't think Rahul Dravid has accomplished more than any other batsman of the 1990s and 2000s is a dunce of the highest order.
I don't - AND you called me Einstein yesterday.

oz_fan

International Regular
There is many ways you could look at this.
Lara - entertainment
Tendulkar - consistency (most of his career)
Dravid - detemination
etc

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
sorry..I must be a dunce of the highest order...because I dont think Dravid has accomplished more than say Tendulkar has!!!

oz_fan

International Regular
Richard said:
Dravid has accomplished nowhere near as much as Lara or Tendulkar or even Ponting.
Lara -Highest test and first class score, leading test run scorer
Tendulkar - Most test centuries
Ponting - Only player to score a century in both innings of 100th match. Possibly Future leading run scorer and possibly future player with most test centuries.
Dravid - ?

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
oz_fan said:
Dravid has accomplished nowhere near as much as Lara or Tendulkar or even Ponting.
Ponting - Future leading run scorer and future player with most test centuries
Dravid - ?
The question mark over Dravid, for me, is that he has never really done all that well when both McGrath and Warne have been in the Aussie attack. His average, when those two have been present, is fairly small. Having said that, he's still a magnificent player. I wouldn't put him in the class of Tendulkar and Lara in overall career comparisons. I do think though that he is equal with Ponting and Kallis as the best player at this moment.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
:wacko:

anyways i reckon ponting is!!!

oz_fan

International Regular
howardj said:
The question mark over Dravid, for me, is that he has never really done all that well when both McGrath and Warne have been in the Aussie attack. His average, when those two have been present, is fairly small. Having said that, he's still a magnificent player. I wouldn't put him in the class of Tendulkar and Lara in overall career comparisons. I do think though that he is equal with Ponting and Kallis as the best player at this moment.
Lara vs Australia - 52.12 average 9 hundreds 11 fifties
Dravid vs Australia - 51.03 average 2 hundreds 8 fifties
Tendulkar vs Australia - 53.11 average 7 hundreds 7 fifties
Inzamam vs Australia - 34.08 average 1 hundred 6 fifties
Kallis vs Australia - 35.38 average 2 hundreds 5 fifties

From those statistics you'd have to say that Lara and Tendulkar are at their best playing Australia. Dravid has a good average but hasn't been able to convert fifties to hundreds. Kallis and Inzamam have a dramatic drop in average when playing Australia. Are they overated?

Dasa

oz_fan said:
Dravid - ?
In case you didn't realise, Ponting hasn't actually achieved those things you've mentioned...

oz_fan

International Regular
Dasa said:
In case you didn't realise, Ponting hasn't actually achieved those things you've mentioned...
I know but its pretty likely he'll end up at least with the most test centuries.

Dasa

Slats4ever said:
hence the fact that he said the word "future"
..but he put them under accomplishments. They're clearly not accomplishments if he hasn't done them yet! Thus, it's an utterly stupid reason to rate Ponting higher than Dravid. If you want to make a case from other reasons, that's fine, but rating one higher because he might in the future accomplish something is ridiculous.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
oz_fan said:
...blah blah blah...
Future isn't "accomplished." It's "will accomplish", or in Ponting's case "might accomplish"

steds

Hall of Fame Member
oz_fan said:
I know but its pretty likely he'll end up at least with the most test centuries.
Likely. Not sewn on. Go and edit to say "possible future..." :p

telsor

U19 12th Man
Another Dunce of the highest order here. ( is it wrong to feel pride at that? )

Dravid may have accumulated runs as well as the rest, but for me lacks to ability to seize control of a game and dominate it the way a Lara, Tendulkar or Ponting can.

howardj

International Coach
oz_fan said:
Dravid vs Australia - 51.03 average 2 hundreds 8 fifties
As I said mate, it's when McGrath and Warne have been missing that inflates Dravid's average versus Australia.

With Warne and McGrath: Average is 31
Without Warne and McGrath: Average is 123.8

Taking out the series where McGrath and Warne were both not present: Overall average versus Australia is 33.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tendulkar or Lara. The others, whilst brilliant, never faced the equal of the bowling attacks that Lara and Tendulkar did, nor the adverse and varying pitch conditions.
howardj said:
As I said mate, it's when McGrath and Warne have been missing that inflates Dravid's average versus Australia.
Ponting's got a great average against Australia with McGrath and Warne as well. Oh wait ;)