View Poll Results: Which batsman would you choose and why?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lara

22 21.15%
  • Tendulkar

21 20.19%
  • Ponting

30 28.85%
  • Dravid

14 13.46%
  • Kallis

3 2.88%
  • Inzamam ul Haq

7 6.73%
  • Hayden

2 1.92%
  • Other

5 4.81%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Best Batsman

Ponting's century against Bangladesh now means he has scored a test century against all nations. His 31st century has also moved him up to equal 4th with Lara on the all time centurions list and only needs 4 more to equal Tendulkar.
    http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/STATS/TES...TEST_100S.html
    Here is an interesting article on Ponting's form of late.
    http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/bdes...ry/244235.html

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    That is a sensational article, I really enjoyed it.

I have never seen a batsman perform the way Ponting has in the last six months, really. Even when Steve Waugh dominated the West Indies, or Lara in 99. Ponting seems to be able to score any sort of century against any bowling in any conditions. If he's not grinding out a century on a slow, uneven pitch, he's somehow managing one on a seamer despite getting beaten twice an over, saving a game by batting all day or murdering the bowling at a run a ball in a run chase. 8 centuries in 10 tests says it all, and three of those have come in the fourth innings. In all probability his form won't last and he'll remain on the same level as Kallis and Dravid at the end of his career, but if he was to play the way he has recently for a couple of years he could well elevate himself ahead of all his peers in terms of reputation.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 13-04-2006 at 05:32 AM.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Yeah its his ability to adjust at the moment that makes him amazing. It was probably best seen in SA where he scored a century in both innings of a test, one was a very patient knock where he grinded the runs, and the second was one of dominatioon, when the conditions eased up.

The thing that is preventing me from getting all worked up and saying he's going to not only trump Dravid and Kallis at the end of their careers, but Sachin and Lara too is because all most of these absolute champion players go through an amazing patch (mind you not all, if many at all which have one like Ponting is having right now). Eventually the patch ends, and they sort of return to the pack.

Honestly if anyone asked you the question "Is Sachin going to hold the run and century record for test and ODI cricket at the end of his career" in the year 1998, you would have most likely answered yes, or "very very likely". He was only 25-26 and was dominating almost every match he played in both forms. Eventually a player will fall a little, and you'd think Ponting will eventually return to the pack. But for the time being he's clearly the best batsman in the world.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Yeah, it's very likely that Ponting will decline, as all players do. His purple patch in the last 6 months has been the most stunning of his career without question, and it's unlikely he will keep it up, but ever since he rebounded from that awful tour of India in 2001 he has been incredible.

In his last 51 tests, since the start of 2002, he has an average of 70.37 with 21 centuries. Bradman of course played 52, and averaged 99 with 28 centuries. A pretty nice comparison for Ponting there.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    I can't really say anything more about Ponting that hasn't already been said countless times, great batsman, miles ahead of everyone in world cricket currently.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oz_fan
    Here is an interesting article on Ponting's form of late.
    http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/bdes...ry/244235.html
    Meh, it's all luck if you believe some people.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Ponting for me.....a joy to watch and in my eyes one of the greatest ever
    Durham CCC Membership Holder
    Hartlepool CC Regular
    Peterlee CC Regular

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Tendulkar
    Ponting
    Lara

In that order.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    I don't - AND you called me Einstein yesterday.

That was the funniest retort to Richard's comment..hats off.

Coming to the topic...for all his achievements (even though off late he has shown decline, really hate using that word for him).its Tendulkar. He played his best cricket when India had the ****tiest team with bowlers like Srinath and co, i hope he can regain that lost glory and fast.
    Last edited by kvemuri; 13-04-2006 at 03:45 PM.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Ponting is easily the best post 2000 batsman now. But I just think he still hasn't faced the same quality of bowling as he did pre 2000. I know it is not his fault at all, but it is just one thing that makes me reluctant to call him the best I have ever seen. But he is easily the best batter at the moment. Will be interesting to see how he goes against England in the Ashes later this year. England have this uncanny ability of shutting down the best (and dominating) batters of the opposition. Will be interesting to see if they can do the same to Ponting. Could be the difference between winning and losing the Ashes, I feel.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani
    Ponting is easily the best post 2000 batsman now. But I just think he still hasn't faced the same quality of bowling as he did pre 2000. I know it is not his fault at all, but it is just one thing that makes me reluctant to call him the best I have ever seen. But he is easily the best batter at the moment. Will be interesting to see how he goes against England in the Ashes later this year. England have this uncanny ability of shutting down the best (and dominating) batters of the opposition. Will be interesting to see if they can do the same to Ponting. Could be the difference between winning and losing the Ashes, I feel.
    That's a good point, i think it will be the biggest victory for England if they can keep Ponting quite during the ashes. They managed really well last year but he still managed to draw the game at Old Trafford with that magnificent 156.

By next winter, i would be amazed if Ponting can continue his current form so it will be really intresting to see how he goes.

Just found this article, similar to one in the Daily Telegraph with some of the greats opinions on where Ponting will rate at the end of his career.
    http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23212,00.html

interesting - the comparisons that he's clearly better than Tendaulkar or Lara should probably be held off for another couple of years - clearly both T and L are past their prime, albeit they both remain v.v.v.v. good bats, whereas Ponting is in the form of his life.

On the other hand Neil Harvey being willing to admit someone younger than Neil Harvey is good pretty much seals him as the greatest player since The Don

People are so short-sighted. Ponting is a champion without a doubt, but Lara, Sachin and other greats have been through amazing form patches, but its been proven that a player can't continue this form their whole career. In 98 Sachin was still only 26 years old and everyone tipped him to hold every batting record there was other than the highest average. 8-10 years later he's in decline. I'm not saying its a guarantee that it'll happen to Ponting, but gee its not impossible that he'll have a bad year or two in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    People are so short-sighted. Ponting is a champion without a doubt, but Lara, Sachin and other greats have been through amazing form patches, but its been proven that a player can't continue this form their whole career. In 98 Sachin was still only 26 years old and everyone tipped him to hold every batting record there was other than the highest average. 8-10 years later he's in decline. I'm not saying its a guarantee that it'll happen to Ponting, but gee its not impossible that he'll have a bad year or two in the near future.
    Yep all it would take would be one or two years of bad form and he would be dropped from the Aussie team and never break any of those records. The reason why Lara and Tendulkar should be held higher than Ponting at the moment is because they have already broke those records.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread Information